GM Recall Campaigns For Information & Discussion of General Motors Recalls

Ignition Recall done, now ignition binds and won't turn.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by hhr06NJ
I am contemplating NOT getting the repair done?

What say you?
That's your choice.

Only comment I have. Possible liability issue if you ever sell, trade or even lend out the car.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:51 AM
Deceased

I haven't had the recall done on any of mine yet. It's not because I don't trust my dealer, they're fantastic folks and I have nothing but good things to say about them.(Ben Mynatt Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, GMC in Concord NC)

I'm just waiting until they've cleared the backlog of outstanding recall repairs, even the best techs can make mistakes when they're under the gun.

George does have a valid point, if you have an HHR and you sell it or trade it before the recall repairs have been performed, the onus and legal responsibility to disclose that information falls on you.

There are already cases in several states where litigation has been initiated due to a former owner failing to disclose whether a GM Delta Platform vehicle has had the recall done.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
I haven't had the recall done on any of mine yet. It's not because I don't trust my dealer, they're fantastic folks and I have nothing but good things to say about them.(Ben Mynatt Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, GMC in Concord NC)

I'm just waiting until they've cleared the backlog of outstanding recall repairs, even the best techs can make mistakes when they're under the gun.

George does have a valid point, if you have an HHR and you sell it or trade it before the recall repairs have been performed, the onus and legal responsibility to disclose that information falls on you.

There are already cases in several states where litigation has been initiated due to a former owner failing to disclose whether a GM Delta Platform vehicle has had the recall done.
I thought of liability, more in the sense should i experience a failure, then an accident.

i am not worried about after a sale. the next owner can get the repair done. there is nothing on the title transfer paperwork asking for recall repairs. I'll disclose it IF i sell the car, which i am not planning to do.

I am concerned the LIKELIHOOD of FAILURE. The key positions FEEL positively locked in their respective positions. There FEELS like no tendency to move to the "OFF" position.

it's just that there are A LOT of complaints about the FIX; and the number of incidents of failure were pretty small, if i recollect...
Old 10-18-2014, 10:23 PM
Technical Moderator

I had a pleasant experience with mine. They didn't even try to sell me anything!

But I went to the Buick dealer in town.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
That's your choice.

Only comment I have. Possible liability issue if you ever sell, trade or even lend out the car.
This was my first thought, too...
Old 10-20-2014, 01:33 PM

Door Key Sets off Alarm

I recently had my 2008 HHR in for the ignition recall. After I got home, I tried my key in the door and it sets off the alarm. I don't recall my old key doing so. Can anyone comment on this? Other than that issue, I completely happy with the way the recall issue was handled at my dealership.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:47 PM

Try locking the car manually, then unlock it with the key...shouldn't set the alarm off. The "alarm" sets when you use the door lock switch or remote, thus the vehicle thinks you are breaking into it. This would have certainly occurred with the old keys as well. It will have nothing to do with the work performed.

Last edited by SholtC; 10-20-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:33 PM

We'd like to look further into this concern for you, holly2452. Please send us a private message with your VIN, full contact information, current mileage, and dealership name for further assistance. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 10-20-2014, 09:50 PM
Deceased

aboard to both of you Holly and Sholt.

Holly, you might need to do "The Dance of The Door Locks" as Sholt suggested...

Lock the door with the key not the power lock button, then open the door with the key....the horn should stay blissfully quiet.

If it doesn't work the first time, unlock all the doors, then lock each door manually and then lock the driver's door with the key. Then try unlocking the driver's door with the key, the horn should remain silent.

But, if you're still having issues, take it back to the dealer. If you're using the key because your fobs are dead, or lost try a Search for Key Fobs. There are ways to repair dead ones, and info on what's involved in replacing them.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:08 AM
Technical Moderator

Have you checked to see if they messed with the "personalization" menu in the DIC? That would be in your https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gene...s-manual-3074/ (link).

Quick Reply: Ignition Recall done, now ignition binds and won't turn.