GM Recall Campaigns For Information & Discussion of General Motors Recalls

GM NEEDS to put a recall on the vacuum pump assist problem!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 07:06 PM

Eaglefreak138, I got one of the first ones, new in our area. The problem did not show up for several months. When it did, it scared the snot out of me. Almost hit a kid on a bike. I took it in telling them about the problem. They could not duplicate. So they sent me home. At this point they didn't know of the problem. I have had the car since it was new, and have just lived with it. (Warming it up until I see vacuum on the gage) I agree with your lodgic. Let us know what happens. BTW, I never got a recall letter on this. Peace.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:56 PM
Technical Moderator

Because it was not a recall, just a TSB limited to the original warranty period.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Because it was not a recall, just a TSB limited to the original warranty period.
My opinion is it should have been a recall regardless of warranty period but opinions are like as*holes everybody has one. Maybe if everyone almost got in an accident because of this everyone would have my same opinion. It's just sad how little these large companies stand beside their product and customer until someone dies and it makes news.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:49 AM

To be honest I am not a person to pile on GM on the ignition issue as I understand the big picture here and not over reacted like some on this issue.

But in the cases like this on the SS I do agree they should either retro fit the if they have not been done or do it at a discount in the best interest of themselves and their customers

Lets face it most of them have been fixed and there were not that many built to start.

If it was added as an OE item then they should just fix the remaining 08 and early 09 models or at least make the offer. There couldn't be that many left.

Even a discount on the install would be better than nothing. If one person gets killed in some freak accident this could be on every headline and be even more trouble.

GM just has to fart anymore for the media to be all over them.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:01 AM

That's all I'm asking for. I've been in and out of the shop numerous times paying my $100 deductible over the past year. The extra expense for this that should be covered by them is a hardship now. I'm not having GM so I don't want to be dumped on for simply asking for accountability and quality instead of the answer GM "Customer CARE" gave me of basically go pay for it dude. I love my SS. That's what makes this even more frustrating. I just probably won't buy GM again after seeing a history of poor quality from GM products I've owned.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by eaglefreak138
.........the answer GM "Customer CARE" gave me of basically go pay for it dude.
You mean the GM social media people on this site? What do you expect except such a useless answer from them? They can't do anything for you that you can't do yourself.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by db/sb
You mean the GM social media people on this site? What do you expect except such a useless answer from them? They can't do anything for you that you can't do yourself.
At this point the horse is beaten to death lol.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by eaglefreak138
That's all I'm asking for. I've been in and out of the shop numerous times paying my $100 deductible over the past year. The extra expense for this that should be covered by them is a hardship now. I'm not having GM so I don't want to be dumped on for simply asking for accountability and quality instead of the answer GM "Customer CARE" gave me of basically go pay for it dude. I love my SS. That's what makes this even more frustrating. I just probably won't buy GM again after seeing a history of poor quality from GM products I've owned.
The first step to possibly getting working resolution is to stop the I will never buy s GM car again talk and calling GM names etc.

I work in the automotive industry and not for GM. But it is the same most places as if you are persistent and nice generally you will get a better chance to get something done when you have no legal leg to stand on.

The fact is this issue as annoying as it is was not even seen as a recall by the government since there have been no deaths or injuries. I assume someone may have has a bump or bang some place but that is I.

It may come down to the bottom line you may have to have it done your self It is a lot cheaper than trading cars and these kind of issues can and do happen anywhere. .

I would write letters to the heads of GM and set the story straight here with no childish threats and or claims and state on the what the car is doing and you feel that you are in risk and can not afford the full price of the upgrade. Then ask if they could help in any way to prevent a possible injury.

If that does not work get one from a junk yard as they are available and anyone with the tech tool programing can install one. Keep in mind it is an easy deal if you have the programming.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:59 PM

Is there a way to tell if my SS had the "fix" It's a 2009 but I have noticed that If I just jump in and go the brakes are almost non-existent for a few moments.

I'm not sure what to look for under the hood. This has me curious for sure.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member

the SEARCH TOOL quickly located this for you: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-ss-45/how-do-i-know-if-i-have-brake-vacuum-pump-kit-intalled-44863/

Quick Reply: GM NEEDS to put a recall on the vacuum pump assist problem!