GM Recall Campaigns For Information & Discussion of General Motors Recalls

GM NEEDS to put a recall on the vacuum pump assist problem!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 07:04 PM

Just a thought, you may want to check that the brake vacuum booster check valve is holding. My SS 5 speed was updated with the vacuum booster pump way back when, but I noticed sometimes I still have the issue. Also noticed sometimes by brake pedal is hard if pushed when the engine is off. It should store enough vacuum for one or 2 brake applications after the engine is shut off. I think some of the problems some people have is related to a vacuum leak in the system.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by LT1GMC
Just a thought, you may want to check that the brake vacuum booster check valve is holding. My SS 5 speed was updated with the vacuum booster pump way back when, but I noticed sometimes I still have the issue. Also noticed sometimes by brake pedal is hard if pushed when the engine is off. It should store enough vacuum for one or 2 brake applications after the engine is shut off. I think some of the problems some people have is related to a vacuum leak in the system.
Very good point Vacuum pump or not the rest of the system needs to be in working order.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:34 AM

I've still got my 08 SS and never did the pump upgrade. Reason is...I always use my remote starter and allow the engine to idle down. The pump isn't a problem then. 32,500 miles on it and still runs strong with the stage kit.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:31 PM

I have the same brake issues and never worried about it.

First I didn't want them messing with the gmtu tune, second I nearly always start the car remote or let it warm up after a period of setting. I do this with all cars, not just the hhr ss.

I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings but most people drive cars with less care than they do holding their i pad. It probably would be a good idea if we all knew starting a car, checking all functions like brakes, signals and lights and steering are mandatory before we just blast off to the first intersection.

I'll spend months at a time on the road and get back in the car and the two times I didn't let it warm up and build pressure it stopped fine, though mechanical.

The only people it freaks out are hotel car valets but once again the car will stop without a problem.

Not to go off topic but one of my pet peeves is where does the dot gov get off on fining gm 30 million for the iginition switch?

I can see if people were hurt that gm has to pay "them" or their families compensation, but what good does it do to drop 30 million into the feds coffers, especially since gm re organized and is today a different company.

Anyway, I'm biased love my hhr so wtf.

IMO

PS that 30 million doesn't hurt gm, it's just amortized back into the cost of our next cars, the lawyers on both sides that spin it.

It also drops the stock price which also hurts investors which are mostly Americans anyway.

OK, I'm off my soap box.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:31 AM

Russ...I agree. That fine was worth about 2 hours of GM sales and did nothing. The only ppl responsible for this, were the ones in the hidden agenda. Fine or jail them. They are the ppl responsible. Why fine GM and make everyone involved in the company pay for what a few did. It just does not make any sense at all.