GM Recall Campaigns For Information & Discussion of General Motors Recalls

How many keys will I receive after recall repair

Old 06-11-2014, 12:34 PM

How many keys will I receive after recall repair

I'm up to speed on the ignition recall so no questions about the process; I'm just waiting for my dealer to receive the vin-specific parts for my 2006 HHR.

Here's my concern. The dealer said to bring in the two keys we currently use, and we would receive two new replacements. Now the dealer says the new key will also work the door lock. This sounds kind of strange to me, so I called one of the GMC recall hotlines. The consumer affairs person with said we would receive two keys, one for the new ignition and one that would work in the door lock. This also doesn't make any sense. Why not just keep the old key for the door?

No one seems to really know the correct answer to this, so if anyone has already had the recall repair done, does the new ignition key work in the door lock? did you receive a new ignition key and a new door lock key?

Thanks
Old 06-11-2014, 12:52 PM

The same key is used for both locks and ignition. When the car was built it had two copies of the key, so the recall provides for replacement of both. If more spares were made, the recall does not specify replacing them.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:39 PM

I had 2 keys cut, right before the recall. They were worn out. They were able to use my VIN number and get the code to cut the key. They did not use the old one at all.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:50 PM
Technical Moderator

As has been explained in one of the previous 200 posts, they re key the switch to the original factory settings. It's just a matter of the right length pins in the right holes. Not magic.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:52 PM
Administrator

I've had the recall done, they provided 2 new keys, they work in the ignition and the front drivers door. they scraped the old keys they were worn anyways.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:58 PM
Technical Moderator

Part of the recall evidently is confiscating your old keys, because the keyring hole is part of the problem. The first stopgap fix was to issue a plug for the oblong hole so there was only a small round hole, to reduce the torque applied to the cylinder.

I am guessing that if you already have the "new" type key you get to keep it, but the new cylinder comes with 2 keys.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:48 AM

Unhappy

I had the recall done yesterday and received two keys, but neither of the new keys worked in the door. The keys are difficult to turn in the new ignition switch. The dealer is supposed to call me when they figure out what the problem is.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:22 AM

I lost my keys several months ago and I had to spend nearly $200 for a key and the electronic fob that goes with it. My dealer does not have the parts yet. When I have it done am I going to receive a new key AND fob? I don't want this recall to call me another couple of hundred dollars.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:48 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by martyroscoe
I lost my keys several months ago and I had to spend nearly $200 for a key and the electronic fob that goes with it. My dealer does not have the parts yet. When I have it done am I going to receive a new key AND fob? I don't want this recall to call me another couple of hundred dollars.
It's a recall, so there is no cost to customer for the repairs.
You do not get new fobs. Only new keys.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:58 PM

Hi Forumites

Quite true, quite true. Just had both my HHRs ignitions fixed. They gave me two new programed keys per car. No cost.

Took only about a month since I received the recall notices.

They discarded the old keys.

Boydie

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
It's a recall, so there is no cost to customer for the repairs. You do not get new fobs. Only new keys.

Last edited by Blue Beast (aka Boydie); 06-13-2014 at 10:08 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How many keys will I receive after recall repair