GM Recall Campaigns For Information & Discussion of General Motors Recalls

Ignition Recall done, now ignition binds and won't turn.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:23 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome-

Would have been a perfect time to replace the DexCool anti-freeze as well, while T-stat was out for replacement..

Good Luck on the rest.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:43 PM

Ignition key won't turn

About 1month ago I had the ignition cylinder recall installed on my 2009 HHR. All was well until today. On two separate occasions, the ignition key would not turn. The key can be inserted and removed, it just won't turn. I fiddled with both keys, the steering wheel and A/T shifter. Took about 5 minutes the first time to start the car, figuring it was the usual locked steering column characteristic referred to by Donbrew above. But it took me over an hour of messing around to get it to start the second time. Maybe a coincidence, but warming the interior by starting the car with the fob (it was cold today) and turning the steering wheel slightly CW seemed to help. Since I never had this problem till the recall was installed, I am hoping the dealer will make good on the repair. Otherwise, I guess I'll be cleaning/lubricating the cylinder, ensuring the wheels are straight when parking the car, etc. suggestions welcome. Thank you!
Old 12-20-2014, 08:23 PM

Fortunately have had no issues with mine, which was done about 4 or 5 months ago. Dealer should make it right. As far as not having it done, bad idea, potential liabilities, plus depending of what state you live in, possible registration renewal problems, not to mention perhaps eventually selling a car to someone with an unresolved saftey recalled issue.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:02 AM

Laco, thank you for the reply. Maybe if you could send some of that southern CA weather my way it will help. I have seen several threads discussing this problem ( not to be confused with the shifter-related "key stuck in ignition" problem), all written before the recall. On one, c2vette posted what appears to be a GM troubleshooting procedure. The three culprits are: key, ignition lock cylinder and ignition switch. All of which were replaced under recall 14092 and 14111. I agree, the dealer should make good since they were recently replaced. Will let you know how I make out.