GM Recall Campaigns For Information & Discussion of General Motors Recalls

Ignition Switch Recall Key Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 07:55 PM
Deceased

I've been told late April or early May on the parts availability, but GM will be updating their dealers regularly.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:33 PM

Good information, glad new keys will not be required.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by DrTrapper
Thanks to everyone for the answer! I was thinking it wouldn't be the key, but I wanted to make sure. Now the $64,000,000 question....when will the cylinders be in stock at the dealers? :)
DrTrapper. You're still mixing up the parts. GM is waiting on the production of the IGNITION SWITCHs: the part to be replaced in the recall.

The cylinders are not part of the recall.(they probably have those in stock)

Maybe go back and reread the previous posts and look again at the pictures.
It is a little confusing and you're not the only one mixing up the parts/descriptions.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks George....

They had me confused on what he wanted also and the info Mike provided is for the IGNITION SWITCH NOT the IGNITION KEY CYLINDER.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:37 PM

My dealer is ready to replace whatever part it is that makes it really hard to get the key to turn on the ignition switch, have to jiggle it lots sometimes. Also, if I park it with wheels turned, it's almost impossible to get it to move.

Guess it'll all be replaced now, but I''m hoping I'll get to have the same keys if the key cylinder is replaced.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:48 PM

makes you wonder what else they want to work on while hhr is in their shop...........dealers are chompin at the bits
Old 04-04-2014, 09:58 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by LVJJJ
My dealer is ready to replace whatever part it is that makes it really hard to get the key to turn on the ignition switch, have to jiggle it lots sometimes. Also, if I park it with wheels turned, it's almost impossible to get it to move.

Guess it'll all be replaced now, but I''m hoping I'll get to have the same keys if the key cylinder is replaced.
That complaint is as old as the "anti-theft steering wheel" (sometime in the 60's). Why do people think that jiggling the steering wheel to get the key to turn is still something new?

There ought to be a law.

Not part of the recall at any rate, but possibly may be fixed by the fix.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
That complaint is as old as the "anti-theft steering wheel" (sometime in the 60's). Why do people think that jiggling the steering wheel to get the key to turn is still something new?

There ought to be a law.

Not part of the recall at any rate, but possibly may be fixed by the fix.
Cause I've never had the problem before, it's new to me
Old 04-09-2014, 12:01 AM

Very true 845 they have to make 2.6 million switches and I personaly do want a switch rushed put in my HHR in fact IM waiting tell most of you get yours done mabey Aug or Sept when the rush is over. I work doing this every day and dont like seeing some of the people taking advantage. Theres TWO sides too a story and you all have only heard THE truthful news side. they wont fudge the truth no way LMAO. I work in the Service drive all day 5 or 6 days a week and know a little more. Bring your cars in we want to fix them as fast as possible I promice as soon as we have the parts. There building them as fast as they can safley.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:01 AM

I had my ignition switch done years ago. Back in '07 I believe. I got a letter last month regarding the recall. I'm wondering if they are going to call my car in anyway. This was back when the car was less then two years old and every dealer kept telling me nothing was wrong. However the switch was fixed and we have never had another problem with it. I'm just wondering if we are just lucky because it was fixed with the same problematic parts.

Quick Reply: Ignition Switch Recall Key Question