GM Recall Campaigns For Information & Discussion of General Motors Recalls

Key Stuck In Ignition Warrenty Extention - Not a recall #14632

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 08:38 PM

Key Stuck In Ignition Warrenty Extention - Not a recall #14632

So tonight I was driving my HHR and 3-4 times that I turned it off the key got stuck in the ignition. It wasn't the steering wheel lock deal where you turn the wheel to get it to release. It just plain got stuck. I flipped the shifter to drive then back into park and finally I heard a pop in the steering column indicating that the key was released. So, after the frustration of thinking I had an key ignition problem I started online to see what I may be in for on this repair. After looking in several places I discovered that the real issue lies in the shifter itself. A few minutes later I found this article listed below.

GM offers fix on small-car ignitions to prevent stuck keys
DETROIT -- General Motors is offering to repair customers' Chevrolet Cobalts and other older small cars to prevent keys from getting stuck in the ignition, but the company said it isn't issuing a recall because the problem doesn’t pose a safety risk.

The 2.2 million small cars subject to repair are the same ones recalled in February and March for a defective ignition switch that has been linked to 38 deaths. They include the Cobalt, Saturn Ion and other small cars, ranging from the 2003-11 model years, excluding versions with manual transmissions.

GM notified dealers today of a "special coverage adjustment" that offers a free fix to any customer having trouble removing the key from the ignition. GM estimates that the defect exists in 3 to 4 percent of the 2.2 million vehicles, according to the dealer notification.
If what I'm reading is true then it appears mine and others here may have the same issue.
shows the repair of the problem and was actually in the same search result page that had the article I just found. I plan to look into this after the holidays are over since I now know how to get the key to release manually. I thought all you guys here might want to know in case you are having the same problems or have recently had the same work done. You may be able to get your money back on this repair.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:11 PM

I drive a manual so I will never have to deal with that exact problem but there certainly have been members on here have had this same issue and discussed it here before. Not sure if the recall being extended has been discussed but it is good to know that GM recognizes this as an on going issue and is willing to continue to fix it.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sileny Jizda
So tonight I was driving my HHR and 3-4 times that I turned it off the key got stuck in the ignition. It wasn't the steering wheel lock deal where you turn the wheel to get it to release. It just plain got stuck. I flipped the shifter to drive then back into park and finally I heard a pop in the steering column indicating that the key was released. So, after the frustration of thinking I had an key ignition problem I started online to see what I may be in for on this repair. After looking in several places I discovered that the real issue lies in the shifter itself. A few minutes later I found this article listed below.

GM offers fix on small-car ignitions to prevent stuck keys
DETROIT -- General Motors is offering to repair customers' Chevrolet Cobalts and other older small cars to prevent keys from getting stuck in the ignition, but the company said it isn't issuing a recall because the problem doesn’t pose a safety risk.

The 2.2 million small cars subject to repair are the same ones recalled in February and March for a defective ignition switch that has been linked to 38 deaths. They include the Cobalt, Saturn Ion and other small cars, ranging from the 2003-11 model years, excluding versions with manual transmissions.

GM notified dealers today of a "special coverage adjustment" that offers a free fix to any customer having trouble removing the key from the ignition. GM estimates that the defect exists in 3 to 4 percent of the 2.2 million vehicles, according to the dealer notification.
If what I'm reading is true then it appears mine and others here may have the same issue. This YouTube video shows the repair of the problem and was actually in the same search result page that had the article I just found. I plan to look into this after the holidays are over since I now know how to get the key to release manually. I thought all you guys here might want to know in case you are having the same problems or have recently had the same work done. You may be able to get your money back on this repair.

We apologize for this! If you need for us to look into this further for you, please send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and your preferred dealership. We look forward to your response.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 12-11-2014, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

Over a year ago I got letters from GM telling me about this stuck key dealio & the FREE fix..

Then a few months later I started getting letters from GM telling me my Ign could shut off at any time & was being recalled to fix this..
Old 12-12-2014, 01:44 AM
Deceased

Tomorrow morning, get on the horn with your dealership's Service Manager and talk to him/her about the issue.

If you haven't had the recall done yet, make arrangements to get it done, your problem msy or may not rest in the shifter.

Unfortunately, and I've said this way too many times, there are two kinds of HHR owners. Those who've had their keys get hung up, and those who have yet to have their keys get hung up.

GM was making things right before the "Great Ignition Debacle of 2014", and they are still correcting things under a Customer Satisfaction program to the best of my knowledge.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Interesting that in the video the replacement shifter is the older style with the plastic slider where the shift lever slides and not the newer version with the leather shift boot!
But I concur with 843de call your dealer today to get the ball rolling the parts may be on back order!
Old 12-12-2014, 07:07 AM

I've actually already had the recall done for my ignition. The shifter I have sounds like the old style because it has the plastic slider. The only leather on it is on the actual knob itself.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:38 AM

I find it hilarious that they think this is not a safety issue, because if I start my HHR with the remote, I can now put it in gear without ever putting the key! Also imagine driving on a snowy road and have the shifter accidently bumped into reverse or park at 60 mph! I would love to take a GM CEO out in my HHR and show them how this is not a safety issue, I bet I could change their minds!

Great video and explanation of the shifter and key issue, I just completed the exact repair with excellent results too!

I found if you undo the driver side 2 nuts first at the base of the shifter, you can pull the shifter assembly sideways to bind the passenger side studs making them easier to undo.

NOTE; The passenger side studs that the nuts bolt to, to hold the shifter secure sit free and once the are about half way undone the stud will spin. They're tricky to hold, so binding them with the shifter made it easier. The same for reinstalling the nut, do the passenger side first.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:22 AM
Technical Moderator

There are a few threads with many ways of dealing with those nuts. I wish that I had used the search before I tackled my WD 40 repair.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:28 PM
Premium Member

Just received this from GM Canada, little late don't you think.
Already replaced mine with the 09' leather boot type. May be useful for those who haven't had the problem yet. Wife also received one for her 07'.

Image doesn't seem to open, it is in my gallery.

Quick Reply: Key Stuck In Ignition Warrenty Extention - Not a recall #14632