GM Recall Campaigns For Information & Discussion of General Motors Recalls

problems AFTER ignition switch replacement?

Old 05-20-2014, 02:20 PM

problems AFTER ignition switch replacement?

Just had my ignition switch replaced under the recall (07 HHR). Now, for the second time, my speedometer went dead, and the trans would not shift. I had to get home, so I was babying it home and finally the trans shifted, speedo still not working, and power steering warning came up. Then the accelerator started to surge to the point where I thought I was going to lose control.

Anyone else experiencing problems after the recall repair? This sounds (to me) that something happened in the reprogramming after the repair. The dealership wants me to pay for towing it in and they will reimburse me IF they find out it is something they did. I don't trust that they will be straight up in taking blame. My car pretty much can't be driven now.....last GM I ever buy, destroying a 35 year stint of being a "Chevy guy".
Old 05-20-2014, 02:58 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry about the problems.

Fwiw. Pretty sure there is no reprogramming in replacing the ignition switch. It is just an R&R of the switch.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:34 PM

I got in touch with the dealer, and they have agreed to let me take it in to my local independent shop and have it scanned (I can't drive it as far as the dealership). I can then fax it to the dealership and we can go from there. Probably more than one could expect, but I am still not a happy camper.

Also, got hold of GM Canada service and got on a chat with one of their people.... she phoned me in person, right away and we discussed the situation...again, more than one could expect.

Anyway, I have an appointment for the scan tomorrow morning, and I will keep everyone up to date on this situation.

As an aside, I was in town to pick up some rust converter and touch up paint as the bottom inside of my rear door has some rust on it. Pretty sad for a 7 year old car that I paid extra at purchase for electronic rust protection. FWIW, my back seats look like new because they are always folded down. No one sits back there and the doors only get used for putting things in and out (not often).....so how does rust start on the inside of the door??? Not likely that the paint chipped or anything there.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:42 PM

I have a 2007 HHR LS, and, depending upon your updates to this fascinating tale, I will decide whether or not I will have the ignition switch replaced at all.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:51 PM
Deceased

Interesting, please do keep us in the loop Jim. I've been waiting while my dealers's techs get caught up with the backlog before even considering having my HHR's done.

While I have always had nothing but good luck and A+ service from my dealer(Ben Mynatt Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC), they are backlogged and jammed up with these never ending recalls.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:26 AM
Technical Moderator

"electronic rust protection"??????? They saw you coming! Where did they mount the anode?

Your door rust problem come from NOT using the doors. Water gets into the door shell either past the window seal or from condensation. If you open and close often the water has a chance to evaporate. Not an HHR specific fault, pretty common on modern cars.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:09 PM

got the scans, and faxed them, dealership still does not know if it from the ignition replacement so had it towed to the dealership.

The scan showed:
po722 code in trans - output shaft speed sensor cct, no/low signal
engine code po700 - trans control system fault
p1174 - fuel trim cylinder balance
po300 - engine misfire detected
power steering code c0000 - vehicle speed info cct fault invalid serial data received

I started the car this morning to go in to the shop and the DIC showed -- where the temp should be. When I got out to the road the DIC was displaying normal and everything ran as it should for a couple miles.....then the speedo started fluctuating and then went to 0. The trans dropped into low gear and stayed there. Went a bit farther and then "power steering" came up on the DIC and the engine light came on for the few blocks to the shop.

They took the code and faxed it to the dealership and now I am waiting, out in the boonies, with no car. Thank goodness for neighbours. Dealership says they will call once they have a look at it. Pretty sure it is the speed sensor (in part) in the trans output (about a $53 part), but not sure of the cause. My bets are the dealership will deny anything on their part and I will be out the cost of the part, the labour, and the towing. Not too trusting of GM anymore.....
Old 05-21-2014, 06:58 PM

Well first off this is not a GM issue this is a dealer issue.

It is very possible the tech did something that may have set this off. But to be fair I have seen it happen many times a unrelated issue comes up after something else is fixed just by chance. It is hard to convince a customer that they are not always related but it does happen. At times some things that are on the verge of failure can be finished off with removing a battery terminal when fixing another item. The electronic part just never recovers.

As for the rust like stated it could be from water not being released or just a seam that did not get sealed. I see this issue on every make and brand and it is not just a GM only thing.

As for rust I can remember cars with rust through with holes in 3 years back in the 70's. Car start to rust the day they are built and if you can get to 10-12 years in the rust belt with no rust through in any brand you have done well.

The Electric rust deals are not worth the money.

As for dealer service that is up to the dealer and some are better than others I how they deal with the public. I have one here locally that could not be any better but the Buick dealer cross the street was the worst I have ever seen.

the key is to fill out the surveys GM sends as they do use them and anything but a full score is held against the dealer and gives GM leverage to lean on the dealers for better service or lose discounts for new cars and assistance in many other areas. The FTC does limit GM on just how much they can do to a dealer.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:10 PM

Doh!

or

I am not always happy to be wrong, but this time I am

or

bad timing

It was a mouse.......yes, right after I had the ignition switch replaced a mouse got into the wiring to the trans and clipped 3 wires. Thus the reason for all the different codes. The Dealership treated me very well and even got GM to spring for the towing. How awesome is that? It took a couple hours to diagnose and fix the wires and I was happy to pay it.

I drove 40 kms and made a stop and when I left after, the trans did not want to shift up again. I pulled over, put it in park and back into drive and it was fine, so I hope that is just a fluke.

Thanks to McGee Motors (in particular Brian who handled this) in Goderich, ON, Sue at GM customer Service and Kevin at MacDonalds Automotive Performance (Seaforth, ON) for all the help and guidance.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:51 PM
Deceased

Well that's not the first time I've heard of mice messing up an HHR, GM wiring must be extra delicious to the furry critters.

for the folks who got you back on the road.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: problems AFTER ignition switch replacement?