GM Recall Campaigns For Information & Discussion of General Motors Recalls

Are You Losing Money? Thanks A lot Recall!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 10:51 AM

Are You Losing Money? Thanks A lot Recall!

Another article on resale values:

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/automobi...e.html/?ref=YF
Old 08-05-2014, 11:04 AM
Platinum Member

Biased report. Take it for what it is. A stab at GM only.

What about ALL those other automotive companies with numerous recalls. No mention of their value losses so that "Joe Consumer" could compare.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:04 PM

Not Fair

I AGREE Fireman, just another chance to use GM as a punching bag.

J.J.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:13 PM

I've decided that you don't buy a car based on resell...you buy a car based on whether or not you think you'll keep it until it's paid off plus some. Let's face it...any car you buy loses value the minute you take it off the lot. I saw a Range Rover posted on a site not long ago...2007 model I think and they were asking $14k for it. That vehicle new is over $80k...7 years old...it's lost over 80% of it's value (I think I did the math right).
Old 08-05-2014, 12:29 PM

How could a sane person reason an issue which has been identified and rectified would cause a vehicle to lose even more value?

Imagine the humor of a scenario if a potential buyer were to argue a vehicle with a new alternator had lost value because the prior alternator had obviously been a problem.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:39 PM
Technical Moderator

C'Mon, there is a whole section On this forum for recall whining. And I seem to remember this being addressed in the mammoth thread.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:19 PM

having so many recalls in such a short time gives 'Ol Joe Sixpack the wobbly knee syndrome {or more than likely Mrs. Sixpack}.

I remember when Toyota was having problems with their accelerator peddle {getting stuck in the floor mat and such foolishness} One of my cousins was working at a Toyota dealer ship and he said lots of common sheeple bought into the idea that there was a basic flaw in all things Toyota and cancelled cars they had ordered and the daily guy through the door who bought a used Toyota dropped a lot too.

Toyota somehow managed to get through it all and is doing quite well again.

I agree that GM got too big for its britches and built some pure crap {see Vega, Chevy Luv, etal} until the buying public finally got heard by buying foreign made cars.

I remember when the first Honda cars came here. they Were a joke, the first one I ever saw had a CB 450 motorcycle engine in it. That's right two cylinder air cooled chain drive no such thing as air conditioning or power anything in that buggy but,... it got great gas mileage at a time when everyone was clamoring about the bad nasty Arabs robbing us for oil {so they could buy more Russian guns and bullets to kill each other with properly}.

The second Honda car I ever saw was a few years later. It was a CVCC wagon. It had a water cooled 1800cc engine a 4 speed manual transmission and every power option available in the mid '70's.

We packed 6 adults into that little critter and went to Madison from Bruce Wisconsin to cheer on the local wrestling teem. Sure it was a bit cramped but any car with that many folks in it would have been.

The heater worked when it was to cold and when the sun came out and it warmed up the air worked flawlessly too. We got around 30 MPG. Back then the speed limit on the interstate was 65 MPH but almost everyone was averaging much closer to 80.

It was a big step forward in just a very few years. While I have grown very fond of my HHR I don't know if I would ever buy another new vehicle let alone a GM brand. I'm just not that brand loyal I guess.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:46 PM
Deceased

Grizzly beat me to it, Toyota resale values hit the crapper a few years back when they were in the midst of their "Unintended Acceleration" mess, but they rebounded.

Think of it this way, now is a great time to buy another HHR while their values are down.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:46 PM

My '06 HHR LT had a $19K sticker price. The last trade-in value I got from a dealer was $2500 on a '14 Encore or Escape. My HHR just turned 135k miles and still runs like a top. I am getting 30+ mpg with the A/C running up I-95 today. I see no reason to trade it away as the new cars are now $25-32k.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:13 AM

Yeah, if resale value concerns you, then you have the wrong car. Should have bought a bmw. :)

Quick Reply: Are You Losing Money? Thanks A lot Recall!