HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

08 HHR SS - Project Overboard

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by black Tara
I just had the same set up from ZZP as well on my 2010.
I thought you had their ZFR turbo? Either way, basically the same setups. I'll be curious to hear about that e47 tune.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:10 PM

What are using the POR-15 for?
Old 06-29-2015, 11:26 PM

While it wasn't really rusty. I couldn't help but do the sub frame with POR-15. It looks good and keeps that nasty rust away!

Old 07-06-2015, 07:22 PM

Talking Contact!

Got the Gen 3 with Bullseye 256ET in its new home. The larger turbo is a tight squeeze over the auto trans, definitely glad I did most of the install with the cradle out.

Looks good but I think I'll switch the valve cover to red. All that's left is bleed the brakes, hook up steering, and add all fluids.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:12 PM

Hey Danby Looks awesome!
Something you may want to think about is a
Item : Direct Injection High Pressure Fuel Pump SKU : 12629135 Quantity : 1 Item Price : $199.99
My fuel pump couldn't handel the extra fuel demand of 25 psi boost and my car started running lean, then started to fail. Took me a while to figure it out, cause at first it wasn't really giving me any codes, till today it finally gave me the right codes to figure it out.
Tim
Old 07-06-2015, 09:01 PM

Smile

My fuel pump couldn't handel the extra fuel demand of 25 psi boost and my car started running lean, then started to fail. Took me a while to figure it out, cause at first it wasn't really giving me any codes, till today it finally gave me the right codes to figure it out.[/SIZE]
Tim
Thanks for the heads up. Will be getting to the dyno after my break in period is up. Is that why you were changing spark plugs trying to figure out the knock you were getting?

Not enough fuel will definitely cause that!
25psi is a awful lot for the stock pump to keep up with. You could probably could use the larger lobe intake cam from zzp to achieve even better fueling.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:34 PM

Yes at first I was thinking it had something to do with the hot days of over a 100 and you know how turbos hate the heat. Then I thought maybe my turbo may be acting up, even though it is brand new? What the car was doing was not detonation it was running out of gas when I would go wot that kinda sounded like major detonation, so I'm glad it wasn't but running lean wasn't that good for it either, so I was driving it like an old lady. The chevy dealer couldn't figure out either, they said it's gota be in your tune. but three months later? I would think the tune would have acted up right away? Put your problem out there and you will get a hundred different suggestions. How I caught it today was it started doing that while it was still cool and at half throttle and then the engine light flashed real fast for like three times. so I went home and put the code reader on and got the codes.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:43 PM

Well that's good, glad you got it solved. I'll keep that in mind. Haven't even turned the key yet. Hopefully we'll hear it run tomorrow!
Old 07-07-2015, 08:34 AM

Yes at first I was thinking it had something to do with the hot days of over a 100 and you know how turbos hate the heat. Then I thought maybe my turbo may be acting up, even though it is brand new? What the car was doing was not detonation it was running out of gas when I would go wot that kinda sounded like major detonation, so I'm glad it wasn't but running lean wasn't that good for it either, so I was driving it like an old lady. The chevy dealer couldn't figure out either, they said it's gota be in your tune. but three months later? I would think the tune would have acted up right away? Put your problem out there and you will get a hundred different suggestions. How I caught it today was it started doing that while it was still cool and at half throttle and then the engine light flashed real fast for like three times. so I went home and put the code reader on and got the codes.
If it was running out of fuel, it was running lean and sound you were hearing was most likely detonation. That is very bad for an LNF.... You may want to move this info over to your post.

You said you or someone else was using HPTuners, correct? If you don't have HPTuners you may want to consider getting it. The price of the program is a lot cheaper than hurting the motor. Run some logs, logging among other things the rail pressure, Commanded lambda and WB lambda. Also, the 5th injector will provide the extra fuel needed for the additional boost and enhancements.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:31 AM

X2

My thoughts exactly

Quick Reply: 08 HHR SS - Project Overboard