HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Low tire air

Old 01-02-2019, 01:51 PM

Low tire air

I live in Northen Nevada, gets cold here. This morning temp 11F the tire air pressure warning system failed. All tires have no reading. Question could ambient temperature have any effect on this sensor system? Also is this a separate module or part of ECM or ?
Thanks for any information or guidance you can give.
I passed 200,000 first of November, overall this is the best car I have owned. Bought it on the last day GM was GM.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Your 2009 TPMS sensors have batteries, they start to fail at the 8 to 10 year mark, so it could be that.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:32 PM
Technical Moderator

The TPM receiver is in the RemoteControlDoorLockReceiver then it semds data to the BCM. The TPM sensors in the wheels send a RF signal to the RCDLR.

Temperature affects tire pressure greatly, something like 2PSI/ 10 degrees F. So if the PSI is 32 when the temp is 70F; it could go down to 20 PSI at 10F. Those numbers are guesses.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by donbrew
The TPM receiver is in the RemoteControlDoorLockReceiver then it semds data to the BCM. The TPM sensors in the wheels send a RF signal to the RCDLR.

Temperature affects tire pressure greatly, something like 2PSI/ 10 degrees F. So if the PSI is 32 when the temp is 70F; it could go down to 20 PSI at 10F. Those numbers are guesses.
And visa-versa for hot temps.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:57 PM

Sorry for the late reply but I just went through this yesterday and thought I'd share the unremarkable conclusions we came up with.

The pressure drops with temperature at a rate of about 1 psi per 10°F. This is consistent with what I experience last month. It was -17°F or so one morning and my tires were reading around 24psi. In the Summer they had been inflated to 35psi (this higher pressure is recommended for my non-standard slightly narrower 205/60-16's) and were reading 30psi just a few days before when it was 50.

BUT - if there's moisture (water) in there, it can be a bit worse; as the tire cools, the water condenses from vapor to liquid and now you have a little less gas in the tire.

How much water went into your tire when it was initially mounted depends on a lot of variables including the installer's equipment, ambient temperature and relative humidity, and how long the air was in the compressor's pressure tank, but every time you add air you're adding a bit more water.

The main benefit to "Nitrogen Fill" is that it's effectively zero water, and that's the ONLY reason it give more consistent pressure, and even the people who sell the equipment say so. Side benefits are that the absence of water, oxygen and carbon dioxide are friendlier to the insides of the tire and wheel, but that will be trivial to most drivers. Might be better for the tire pressure sensors, tho.

Also keep in mind that voltage drops in cold batteries, so they could be marginal.

So you probably don't have much to worry about. Things could be back to normal when the weather warms. Ideally, you should add air in Winter, but be ready to let a little out when things warm up.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:23 PM
Technical Moderator

I always change the summer air at the start of winter.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:41 PM

If the TPMS is working properly it should give you a "LOW TIRE Warning" as soon as any one tire it reaches the low threshold setting.
On my 215/60R/16 tires that warning comes @ 26 PSI.
I normally run 30/32 cold in the summer.
Pump your tires up to the pressure recommended on the front door area and see if the warning goes off after a little driving time.

Silverfox.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member

I always change the summer air at the start of winter.
Yes that is best.....
Old 03-12-2019, 05:38 PM

This is all true. My vehicle runs 36psi from the factory, but even in -15F weather, it goes down to maybe 29. So, it changes less than you suggested. TPM kicks in at 32 for me, but I am not putting air in when it's -10 on principle. My fingers' comfort is more important that the idiot light on the dash. The wizards I work with say nitrogen filled tires don't experience this. I have no proof yet. Though the wizards are former dealer techs...
Old 03-12-2019, 06:21 PM
Technical Moderator

Nitrogen does help immensely! If this gives you problems.

Hydrogen would, too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low tire air