HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

2008 hhr ss thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 12:57 PM

2008 hhr ss thoughts

My first post!! OK I am buying an 08 hhr ss tomorrow! It has the new lnf/ldk engine from Zzp with the gm performance upgrade. The car is dark blue 5 SPD with 74000 miles on it an around 12000 miles on the motor! It runs great and the car is very clean inside and out!! I have had several cobalt ss that I love, an 07 ss sedan and an 09 ss sedan lnf. My question is are you guys glad you bought your hhr ss or would you go with something different! It will be my dd.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:48 PM

I wanted to FIND a Cobalt SS Sedan back in 2011, but decided this was a better (and cheaper) way to go. Insurance is less.

I have 2 kids, so the SS coupe was out, and I couldn't seem to find what you owned... I got a great deal on an '08 at a Ford dealer (used) that had no idea what this car was (he couldn't figure out why I didn't want to drive Mustangs...). Good luck!
Old 12-23-2014, 02:01 PM

I've had my 09 HHR SS for coming up on a year now. I love it. It's had it's issue, I'm around 63K miles now. Still got some bugs to work out but no major problems.

It's a dated platform and a dated car. Not a lot of bells and whistles compared to the newer gen cars out there but still a very fun car to drive and gets lots of looks. Still very happy with my purchase.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:16 PM
Platinum Member

I've been happy with my 2010. Although it is just an "extra" car for me and the wife, it was ordered and bought new. I have put 41k trouble free miles on it in almost 5 years.( she's actually never driven it )
Old 12-23-2014, 07:54 PM

Well I think it will serve me well my kids play sports, baseball & football and I'm always shoving all that crap in that little trunk opening of my balt! The back of the hhr is huge!! I love all the hidden pockets and shelves! Hey sinabu, what kinds of problems did you run into? BTW thanks for the replies! Do you all like them, would you buy one again?
Old 12-23-2014, 10:40 PM

I got mine new in 08 and love it more now, then when I first got it
Old 12-23-2014, 11:27 PM

Good to know jczboy, thanks for the info! I'm pretty excited, although most people I have talked to don't seem to care for them! Of course they don't own one! lol I love the usefulness of the car because it's such a big, little car! My little 2009 cobalt ss sedan was a beast, so I can't wait to get her jacked up! The gm perf tune is a joke! I have a tuner that will make her a little rocket ship!
Old 12-24-2014, 08:12 AM

Most of my issues so far are little and minor

The interior rattles, The moon roof rattles and has leaked on several occasions. The radio while decent locks up frequently while using usb and stops responding so you have to restart it to get it to function again.

Again all mostly minor things. Again its a 5+ year old car and its going to have its age and share of issues. and just hope the previous owner took care of things. Engine wise the only issue I have is mine does not boost to the numbers others have. I still have yet to track down the issue but I have not run in to any issues from it. On stock tune I just around 12-13 psi instead of the 15 like it should.

Even still it's a blast to drive and to this day I still get comments on it and people want to know what it is. :) I do miss my tech though. I came from a fully loaded Kia Soul that had all the bells and whistles, (push button start, gps, touch screen etc) So the interior feels plain to me compared to the kia but get on the throttle And I forget quickly :)

Old 12-25-2014, 11:21 PM

Thanks sinabu, very sharp! I got her yesterday and like it more and more! The funny thing, it has a brand new ZZP lnf/ldk crate engine in it due to a bad tune melting the #1 cylinder! The motor was installed by a local chevy dealer and runs pretty good! Also, it doesn't have a Sun roof which I like! They are all noisy! lol
Old 12-26-2014, 01:54 PM

Good Call. Glad you really enjoy. I rarely if ever open my moon roof any way but it seems most of them came optioned with one. Enjoy the extra head room

Quick Reply: 2008 hhr ss thoughts