HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

2008 SS Rear Brake/Axle Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 07:23 AM
Rest In Peace

2008 SS Rear Brake/Axle Questions?

I may have found a rear axle from a 2008 HHR SS.

I just got off the phone with the guy at the salvage yard. The guy said he'd go Look at it, he remembers it as a Black HHR SS they had, then he said he would send me some pics later today.

IF I get the pics, i'll post em up here.

Did or does the 2008 SS's have ABS and the Traction Control that my 2008 2LT has?

I have been wanting to do a Swap out for the rear disc brakes, think it would be just a bolt on Swap and Bleeding all the Brakes?

Any other info would be appreciated as well.

Thanks
Old 03-26-2012, 07:43 AM
Deceased

You also need to think about obtaining the master cylinder, ABS unit, and proportioning valve from the donor SS. Going from rear drums to discs is a major change in the braking system and you'll need to get those parts at the very minimum to make it work, and even then it may be an iffy proposition.

The ESC is another whole area of possible/probable incompatibility, so you might find the system non-functional, or you'll need a custom re-flash to get it to function. So add the possibility of needing a module/modules from the donor SS.

Then there's the big question, do all the donor parts work?
Old 03-26-2012, 07:49 AM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by 843de
You also need to think about obtaining the master cylinder, ABS unit, and proportioning valve from the donor SS. Going from rear drums to discs is a major change in the braking system and you'll need to get those parts at the very minimum to make it work, and even then it may be an iffy proposition.

The ESC is another whole area of possible/probable incompatibility, so you might find the system non-functional, or you'll need a custom re-flash to get it to function. So add the possibility of needing a module/modules from the donor SS.

Then there's the big question, do all the donor parts work?
I was just reading on here the other day an Old thread and someone did it by buying Coblt parts and swapping parts to add the rear disk brakes on a HHR non SS.

He was told the same things, but never had a problem with that. Now I gotta try to refind that post.

The ABS and whatever Traction Control stuff On the actual Axle is my main Concern. For hooking that up to mine.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:56 AM

In that old thread the guy that did the swap didn't have all the fancy electronics yours has. On a basic setup just swapping the rear axle is enough. Once you get into ABS, things get murky and if you have ESC then you really would need to address a bunch of computer controls.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:57 AM
Deceased

Just trying to err on the side of caution, disc brake conversions need to be thought out carefully, its no fun to be looking back the way you just came from through a cloud of tire smoke and thinking...."what the hell?".

I'm interested in that thread too, but as far as the connectors for the electronics, there's probably little chance of incompatibility, we are talking GM here....never too likely to have small hardware unique to just one model.

Now whether they'll work correctly, or try to kill you the first time you really "need" them, that's another question.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:11 AM
Rest In Peace

Guy just called me back, says has ABS and SS's are listed with traction control. He said missing the calipers and discs are off it.

He will send me pics in a couple hours, He mentioned the SS proportioning valve as a different part number than the LT, he has it, for $150.00.

I came across that old thread searching gallery pics at random, now can't recall WHO it was . Still searchin.

Need a few SS owners to chime in and verify.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:16 AM
Deceased

Along with the obvious need for discs and calipers, you will need that proportioning valve, try running rear discs with a drum brake proportioning valve...and you will be facing the way you just came in the aforementioned cloud of tire smoke.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:24 AM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
In that old thread the guy that did the swap didn't have all the fancy electronics yours has. On a basic setup just swapping the rear axle is enough. Once you get into ABS, things get murky and if you have ESC then you really would need to address a bunch of computer controls.

You said this here> https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33542&highlight=rear+disc+brakes

nacadamus
Isn't there a difference between break pressure applied to drums versus discs? You may need to get the proportioning valve too, no

01-22-2011 Greybeard999 From the older posts I've read the discs work fine with the drum proportioning valve. Adding the SS one wouldn't hurt, obviously.

I gotta Find that other Thread and See what year his was and what he claims he had to do, I know he kept mentioning Cobalt parts but when others kept asking hin for Part Numbers he was ummm I wont say, but just kept saying cobalt in your friend and never gave any actuall part numbers.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:34 AM
Rest In Peace

His ID was hvrod, found it.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/first-all-disc-panel-ss-material-10886/

And this one is his, No pics tho.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10886

I found other threads i'll keep reading.

price is right, well depending on caliper and disk costs???

I would really like to have Discs all around.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:03 PM
Premium Member

Hey A&P, I have an SS but I didn't put the brakes on it, The best I can do is hold it up so you can see something if you need, good luck

Quick Reply: 2008 SS Rear Brake/Axle Questions?