HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Another completed LDK swap

Old 02-02-2017, 11:48 PM

Another completed LDK swap

The Breakdown:
Last fall I ran to the grocery store one evening for some ice cream. The car kind of stumbled just as I was turning the key off. No codes. When I came back out, no start. I only tripped a code on the attempted start, the cam sensor code. Googled some in the parking lot, and we had it towed home. I swapped the sensor the next morning, but no change. Had it towed to the dealer fearing the chain.

The Diagnosis:
Diagnosis was timing chain skipped. Dealer wanted $8k to install a remanufactured engine with a 6 month warranty. (gmpartsdirect gives a better warranty) The dealer replaced the turbo the summer before. In my posts, you will see GM serviced this car's turbo many, many times under warranty (one as recent as under 1K miles), and the turbo and engine are connected when you consider oil and cooling.

<rant> So I was pushing on premature failure due to the failing turbos and what that might have stressed on the chain/oil/cooling/engine during its life. But GM customer service gave us the finger on all that, even though last year we paid for the turbo. Why? We like the car, so we stayed true even though GM didn't. Since GM and dealer again failed to assist, we towed it home. We have made sure to tell many our story so we feel the damage is done there. The dealer won't get our business in the future, nor from our friends and relatives who buy vettes and full sized loaded trucks every few years, so another dealer will benefit in the future from their lack of customer service.</rant>

Locals wanted $6K (installed) for an engine with 80K miles.

The Resolution:
We waited a bit, I found a supporting vendor, Performance Autowerks, Inc., on the solstice, kappa, cobalt, etc forums. Noticed they were even helping non-customers in the forums. Reached out to them, and they were willing to install and stand behind the ZZP engine. At half of what GM was going to do, and we were getting the LDK. It's a toss up on which one you are going to get with the dealer (reman/LDK/LNF). I had AAA tow it to them, as I am in WI and they are in Ill. Great to work with, good communication and excellent installation. I like the 6.3 QT capacity on these LDK engines....I think that will really help with longevity of the turbo and engine.

The Happy Ending:
I am 750 miles in and everything has been great. Such a relief to be back in the little beast. It allows me to enjoy my 80 mile round trip each day again.

If I didn't have 3 kids under 5 and had access to a lift, I might have made it a project, but I have the vette that has been waiting a year now for me to install all the new flared panels and to get it back on the road. I need to buy time somehow!
Old 02-03-2017, 01:57 AM

Great to hear you're back out there grindin' up the asphalt JJJ!! Sorry it's been such a PITA, hopefully those days are over!
Old 02-03-2017, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Great news! Enjoy the ride!
Old 03-01-2017, 10:44 AM

How many miles when the timing chain skipped?
Old 03-23-2017, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by ACLR8R
How many miles when the timing chain skipped?
I was around 150K plus when the timing chain skipped. I have two Chevy V8s that are at 256K and 187K, engines untouched. The vette doesn't count, as I have a Pete Jackson gear drive in it nowadays.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by JeramieJJ
I was around 150K plus when the timing chain skipped. I have two Chevy V8s that are at 256K and 187K, engines untouched. The vette doesn't count, as I have a Pete Jackson gear drive in it nowadays.
Yeah 150k isn't terrible, but you have to keep in mind the length of the chains and the amount of stretch when comparing the two.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:44 AM
Administrator

And V-8 timing chains are double row.

Our trucklets are single row.

Many times it's the stationary chain guide that breaks.