HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Broken Shift Cable at 58,000 Mi, not covered under 100,000 mi drivetrain warranty???

Old 01-24-2011, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
You don't need customer care, you need the service manager to make this decision. The people at the call center don't make these calls. You should call the service manager for help. Tact goes along way in these discussions.
I have an issue with something being covered by warranty or not based on the tact of the customer. It is either covered or it isn't.

If it is, then great. If it is not, then that will probably be a determining factor in the customer's next vehicle purchase or where he decides to have the vehicle serviced in the future, especially if he determines that this is somehow unfair for whatever reason (not that I think it's unfair...).

Now from the warranty as I read it, this would NOT be covered under the powertrain warranty. And if the base warranty that covers everything else is over, then he is probably S.O.L.

Q 1): What components are covered under the GM 160,000 km Powertrain Warranty?

A 1): This warranty covers powertrain-related issues affecting the engine, transmission, transfer case and axle assemblies on light duty vehicles as indicated below.

Engine — Cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, turbocharger, supercharger and all internal lubricated parts as well as manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer and engine mount. Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval.
Transmission/Transaxle/Transfer Case — Case, all internal lubricated parts, torque converter, transfer case, transmission/transaxle mounts, seals and gaskets.
Drive Systems — Final drive housing, all internal lubricated parts, axle shafts and bearings, constant velocity joints, axle housing, propeller shafts, universal joints, wheel bearings, locking hubs, front differential actuator, supports, front and rear hub bearings, seals and gaskets.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:08 PM

I have a 2000 Olds Bravada AWD in which the front drive wheels were "scrubbing" when making turns. I took it to my local dealer to have the fluid changed in the xfer case. They ended up changing it twice because of a tsb (gm service bulletin # 03-06-04-018) that required them to use a different fluid because the original stuff caused binding of the plates. They charged me for 2 services. My owner's manual only said to change it at 60k mi, not to change it twice.

To make a long story longer, the service manager at my dealership would not move on this. I could have kissed his butt in the showroom window, but it wouldn't matter with this guy. We called the GM Customer Service hotline and explained this situation. We also told them about our current loyalty to GM as owners of multiple GM vehicles.

They refunded us the money for the 2nd service.

This is just my experience with GM Customer Service. If the shift cable thing ever happened to my HHR SS and it played out unfavorably at the dealership, I'd be on the phone with GM Customer Service in a hot second.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
You don't need customer care, you need the service manager to make this decision. The people at the call center don't make these calls. You should call the service manager for help. Tact goes along way in these discussions.
Thanks - i'll give it a try.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe
I have an issue with something being covered by warranty or not based on the tact of the customer. It is either covered or it isn't.

If it is, then great. If it is not, then that will probably be a determining factor in the customer's next vehicle purchase or where he decides to have the vehicle serviced in the future, especially if he determines that this is somehow unfair for whatever reason (not that I think it's unfair...).

Now from the warranty as I read it, this would NOT be covered under the powertrain warranty. And if the base warranty that covers everything else is over, then he is probably S.O.L.
I may be SOL but any reasonable person would think that if you can't shift gears it would be covered under a powertrain warranty. If it was an automatic and it wouldn't shift it would be covered so why not a standard transmission.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:33 PM
Deceased

I believe where GM is splitting hairs is the possible thinking that the shifter cable is a "wearing" part like the clutch. I think it should be covered, but when one is dealing with the bean counters back in Detroit common sense goes right out the window. This is one of those matters where a reasoned argument will do wonders.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:36 PM

on twm's website they are now selling some kind of cable clamp and is stating on their website that the factory part is plastic and is prone to failure. don't know if this is where your problem is.

http://www.twmperformance.com/cobaltcableclamp.htm
Old 01-24-2011, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by PTGT 2 HHRSS
My shifter cable broke on my 2008 HHR SS at 58,000 miles.
Originally Posted by 843de
Ask for them to cover the shifter cable under the goodwill policy due to the low miles on your vehicle.
Low miles? that's well over 20k a years. I'm sorry but that isn't low. Usually if you're just out of warranty, on the time end, but you're still under 36k they will usually consider it low miles and fix it on their goodwill policy.

A shifter cable isn't a drivetrain item, a transmission is. Like others said though, it can't hurt to ask

Good luck
Old 01-25-2011, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by ATLsilverSS
on twm's website they are now selling some kind of cable clamp and is stating on their website that the factory part is plastic and is prone to failure. don't know if this is where your problem is.

http://www.twmperformance.com/cobaltcableclamp.htm
No, they said the cable broke, but thanks.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:22 AM
Deceased

Well Rod Run, what I meant is the relatively low miles at which the shifter cable failed. They should and do last much longer, some last the entire service life of the vehicle, so I think that 58k is a premature failure.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by 843de
Well Rod Run, what I meant is the relatively low miles at which the shifter cable failed. They should and do last much longer, some last the entire service life of the vehicle, so I think that 58k is a premature failure.
I hear ya there

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Broken Shift Cable at 58,000 Mi, not covered under 100,000 mi drivetrain warranty???