HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Cold Weather Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by decepticonss
Do you guys garage store these or are they outside the whole winter?
Mine is in the Garage till 7:30 AM daily and then on the road to work every day.

It'is my winter beater
Old 12-16-2009, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by ecl
my 08 does #2
Not to be childish, but it made me larf

Mine has the lift gate thing going on. It stays open wherever I let go. Bounced my head off it the other day because I failed to make sure it opened all the way.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:05 PM

Mine is in the garage all nite, Then in the elements during the day.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:56 AM

Haven't had the lift issue with the struts, but on really cold mornings the rear hatch makes the squeaking noise over bumps. It goes away after a few minutes, though.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:30 AM

in cold weather, the gas in the struts for hoods & hatches condenses. it will be back to normal in warmer weather.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by andyb
in cold weather, the gas in the struts for hoods & hatches condenses. it will be back to normal in warmer weather.
I would agree the gas compresses in cold weather, but these products should be designed to function at -20 C (typical automotive standard), and even at -40 C (extreme standard for automotive). So for it not to function even at 40 C, I was wondering if I had a bad shock or if it was a poor design from the General.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by esmarkey
Check out this video and see if it sounds like noise #3:
http://s735.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=MOV02237.flv
If so, it took several trips to the dealer to get it fixed. It only happened when it was cold and by the time I got it to the dealer the interior was warm and no noise... They even kept it overnight to see if they could hear it after it sat all night, but stored it indoors..... DUH! Again, no problem found. Finally I made the attached video and one of the techs dug around and found it.... If it is the same sound, I can pull out my old service records and see if they list the fix.
Let me know.
What the hell is that? Are you pulling your parking brake while driving, 'cause that is what is sounds like. Mine sounds more like the speedo needle (if it would be made of metal) is vibrating. It is cold in Detroit today, so I will see if it make the noise after work.
Ironically, the noise gets quieter as the radio volume goes up!
Old 12-17-2009, 12:00 PM

Mine does number 2 till the HHR gets warm. It is the front strut mounts.....at least when I change mine it will temp. fix the problem.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:04 PM

the "general" doesn't design the struts. lots of parts from lots of outside vendors.
i work for any extended warranty co. for 8 yrs. if you think this car is cheap, try a honda civic, where the front suspension struts leak every 15k miles. that car also has a technical service bullitin from 2006-2008 for engine blocks cracking at the waterjackets cracking at 5 different locations causing the engine to overheat - needs new engine. also another bullitin that states to replace the rear control arms because the geomotry is wrong causing the rear tires to wear out real fast.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Big Rad
What the hell is that? Are you pulling your parking brake while driving, 'cause that is what is sounds like. Mine sounds more like the speedo needle (if it would be made of metal) is vibrating. It is cold in Detroit today, so I will see if it make the noise after work.
Ironically, the noise gets quieter as the radio volume goes up!
No brake, that is the sound my used to make when it was cold, It sounded to me like a metal ruler "boinging" sort of like your original description. Fixed now though....

Quick Reply: Cold Weather Issues