HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

HHR SS Story

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 10:27 AM

Well back on topic! I was hit by a drunk driver back in May of 08 and back then I was driving a heavily modified all-motor 01 Dodge Neon. Long story made short my car was never the same, even after it was fixed by the other guy's insurance company so I wound up parting her out. I always liked the Cobalt SS but couldn't get one since they're all sticks, and I can't drive stick (no use of my right arm). Now I loved the neo-retro look of the HHR and when I found out that A) they offered an SS version and B) they offered an auto I wanted one. I checked out a BF '08 at my local dealer but it was a stick so I had them find me an auto SS. They dragged their feet so I went out on my own and found 2 VR SS' at local dealers (one was a VR AA5!). I test drove my Red Hearse 1st and fell in love with it. The insurance on this one was lower than it would be on the AA5 so I came back the next day and put a hefty deposit on it and drove it off their showroom floor.

Later
Allex
Old 01-29-2011, 11:25 AM
Premium Member

Was looking for lt2 for work I carry large samples lots of miles truck was killing me on fuel asked my tire guy what size tires I could get on one and he said which one SS ? I said what SS, I said HHR, I didn't believe him so he showed me the book. Shure enough it had HHR SS. I had never seen one. Went to local dealer drove a black 2010 was very nice.I didn't want to spend that much for work car,so started looking for used one only found 3 or 4 in the whole area,Found a private party orange one met the guy and while driving it I stepped on it and lit up the tires looked over at the guy like I was sorry for mistreating his car and he was trying not to crack up had a s**t eating grin on his face.Thats when I learned about the STG-1 upgrade.Would have bought that one but didn't want to hassel around selling one of my trucks. Found my blue one on the Internet went to see it,salesman says ya we have one but the owner of the dealership took it when it got here and we haven't seen it since! I told him if you see it call me.Couple days later got to drive it,of course it felt slow,no STG-1,but I loved the blue,it matched my eyes, Ha Ha,so it took almost 3weeks to complete the negotiations but they finally saw things my way they gave me 5000 more than my truck was worth (I got it for free) and they paid and installed the STG-1,so I took it home,and that was just the start of the adventure some one should start a thread about mods. So you bought it what did you do next.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by asanti
Well back on topic! I was hit by a drunk driver back in May of 08 and back then I was driving a heavily modified all-motor 01 Dodge Neon. Long story made short my car was never the same, even after it was fixed by the other guy's insurance company so I wound up parting her out. I always liked the Cobalt SS but couldn't get one since they're all sticks, and I can't drive stick (no use of my right arm). Now I loved the neo-retro look of the HHR and when I found out that A) they offered an SS version and B) they offered an auto I wanted one. I checked out a BF '08 at my local dealer but it was a stick so I had them find me an auto SS. They dragged their feet so I went out on my own and found 2 VR SS' at local dealers (one was a VR AA5!). I test drove my Red Hearse 1st and fell in love with it. The insurance on this one was lower than it would be on the AA5 so I came back the next day and put a hefty deposit on it and drove it off their showroom floor.

Later
Allex
If you don't mind me asking, I was just wondering...is your inability to use your right arm related to that drunk driver hitting you? Pretty cool that it was a showroom model...my wife saw a Victory Red 2LT HHR on the showroom floor, fully loaded, and asked if I would rather have that (she liked the luxury)...it was really sharp, but I had to have my SS.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:28 PM

I will try to title my posts specifically towards the SS, (even though we are in an SS forum) so as to avoid further confusion. It's funny, when I was a member of a Porsche forum, the models in the sub forums were specific, ( I.e. 9-1-1, Boxster S, Boxster, 944, etc.) And so if I made a posting about my car, it was understood which car because of the specific forum. I did not think that sub forums could cross over. My apologies for the ruckis I have stirred up.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:16 PM

Here's my story. I drove lowered trucks for years, and then in 2003 made the switch to a Z71 Avalanche. This was fine, until gas prices were costing me 500$ a month.

I liked the look of the HHR, but it wasn't until the SS was introduced that I really looked into one. I really wanted a panel, and once I found out that '09 was to be the only year for them, I went to my local dealer (which I will never do again, they're scandalous) and told the guy "If you can find me a Panel SS, with the 5spd and LSD, I'll buy it".

Long story short, I finally got one in my grubby little hands.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:31 PM

Saw a poster on the wall, then kept going back until the dealer had one. It sat there less than a day. hasn't sat still since
Old 01-29-2011, 10:42 PM
Uma

Originally Posted by datedd
I will try to title my posts specifically towards the SS, (even though we are in an SS forum) so as to avoid further confusion. It's funny, when I was a member of a Porsche forum, the models in the sub forums were specific, ( I.e. 9-1-1, Boxster S, Boxster, 944, etc.) And so if I made a posting about my car, it was understood which car because of the specific forum. I did not think that sub forums could cross over. My apologies for the ruckis I have stirred up.
No problems, I was in a mood when I posted. I apoligize. I just look at the the New Posts and don't look at what forum that they are under, my fault. Todd (Uma)
Old 01-31-2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by chudlychudson
I wanted to Cash for Clunkers my 95 Lincoln Town Car. I really wanted a Solstice, but the only eligible model would be a GXP stick. Now I really couldn't afford the GXP, and U know who wouldn't let me get a stick, but I liked idea of the 2.0 Turbo, and the Cobalt SS was only available with a stick (plus only $3500 CFC), so I looked at the HHR SS. Available with auto and it got $4500 CFC because it is a "truck". So with $11000 of MSRP it was a deal I couldn't refuse.
I was in the same situation - I was infatuated with the look of the Solstice. But then I actually got in one, and I changed my tune quickly. Way too small and impractical, with almost no storage room either. I also read up on issues with the soft top. The HHR SS was much bigger, and even got better gas mileage. The SS has been called everything from a gangsta car, to a Hot Wheel, to a transformer, so I think I made the right choice....
Old 01-31-2011, 11:00 AM

I had a TBSS that was due to be turned in for lease end Oct 1st. Wife's MKZ was due back in July 1st. I ordered the HHR SS in March before the deadline for final ordering was up. I wanted it to be exact, I pay good money for things and wanted it to be what I wanted. We also ordered her 2011 Ford Fiesta about the same time... due end of summer time frame.

Well May rolled around and my HHR SS came in. We turned her MKZ in a month or so early, paid the difference then I had an all SS driveway.

It was working out perfect, like a commercial with Flo. I showed GM papers that I switched brands from Linconln to Chevy, discount. Rolled the double SS (quad S's then?). Then when her Fiesta came in, in Sep we turned the TBSS in and got a Chevy to Ford DISCOUNT.

We were both going form leases back to purchasing... I wanted the HHRSS because not only was the sticker lower, it got about double the mpg. She wanted the Fiesta cause it's closer to size of what she wants (a roller skate), bigger but still smaller and the mpg is about 10 more than her MKZ. We love them both... and hopefully keep them for a while.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:24 PM

I have a Jeep with 200,000+ km on the odometer and I decided that it was time for something more fun to drive. So I decided to keep the Jeep to use in the winter, for camping and to tow the boat, and I went looking for a car with a bit of speed, but small in stature.

Test drove the Mini Cooper S, RX-8, Solstice GXP and the HHR SS, among others... I had never heard of the HHR SS, but was impressed with the performance to price ratio.

It was between the GXP and SS and decided on the SS due to price and, more so, it's practicality while still maintaining good performance. It's a bigger car than I wanted, but not overly so.

The Mini was over-priced, imo.

Loved the RX-8, but was also expensive.

The SS was $8k less than sticker price. A few weeks after buying it (Aug '09), I got the turbo upgrade kit and installed a rear sway-bar. I had some niggling doubts about getting the SS over the GXP for several months.....

Then, I took it on quite a trip through BC, WA, and OR last summer. Had lots of camping equipment packed in and still had plenty of room to spare... got a hefty speeding ticket and had lots of fun cruising madly along the twisty roads of the Pac. NW!

That's when I stopped regretting not buying the GXP... still plenty of speed and way more practical.

Quick Reply: HHR SS Story