HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

HHR SS sudden overheating

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 03:59 PM

HHR SS sudden overheating

Ok, Car has 125000 miles, has been running fine, got in it to drive home and once on the highway high temp. alarm goes off. Noticed the guage pegged. Immediately pulled off the road and shut it off. Never really "overheated" just got really hot. Never had this issue before. Parked it and went back the next day and replaced the Thermostat, then probably put a gallon of antifreeze back in while engine was running, caped it off and got back on the road. I didn't let it get to full temp. before driving again, but felt it was ok. Still the same issue. Also no heat out of the vents. Cooling fans are running. After reading several posts, I noticed a lot of people talk about drilling a 1/8" hole in the new T stat, old one I replaced didn't have one. My concern is the sudden issue! Its been running fine then this all of a sudden?! Any help or advise would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:09 PM
Technical Moderator

Only 1 whack-o (that is now banned) ever said anything about drilling holes in t-stats. Please define "a lot of people".

No heat in the vents indicates a air bubble in the system, or some other obstruction.

Do you check you coolant regularly?

What temp did it reach on the digital readout? If the analog gauge pegged it did overheat.

If it overheats DexCool is no good, must replace it.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:18 PM

[I believe that was on another site, digital read as high as 270, but it never spewed steam or coolant. I agree with you on the air bubble theory, but why all of a sudden? Just got home. Going to let it cool down and try again tomorrow, to make sure the water pump is good. Otherwise I will try to burp the air I guess.
A note, just got this car back from my ex in the divorce, no she didnt take care of it but from what I can tell its not "dirty or obstruction like" coolant seems clean.

QUOTE=donbrew;814851]Only 1 whack-o (that is now banned) ever said anything about drilling holes in t-stats. Please define "a lot of people".

No heat in the vents indicates a air bubble in the system, or some other obstruction.

Do you check you coolant regularly?

What temp did it reach on the digital readout? If the analog gauge pegged it did overheat.

If it overheats DexCool is no good, must replace it.[/QUOTE]
Old 11-27-2016, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member

Well said donbrew.

"STILL THE SAME ISSUE" - what do you mean by that? Ya gotta use the digital temperature display if you are monitoring the temp. The old needle display is not a good way to read the temperature accurately.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:26 PM
Platinum Member

Well if it read 270F you got a problem. Its been severely overheated, possibly a head gasket or failed water pump.

And donbrew was right about the wacko professing to drill holes in the thermostat being from this site and thus being banned.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
Well said donbrew.

"STILL THE SAME ISSUE" - what do you mean by that? Ya gotta use the digital temperature display if you are monitoring the temp. The old needle display is not a good way to read the temperature accurately.
The same issue is that after I replaced the Thermostat. I was sure by the way it was acting that the Thermostat was bad. The digital displayed as high as 270, but like I said, it never lost coolant or spewed steam!
Old 11-27-2016, 04:33 PM
Platinum Member

If it hit 270 degrees, it's probably done for. Not many LNF engines have made it past 250 degrees without some major damage.

As Donbrew said, the coolant has been cooked and is no good now.
Just because it "looks" good means nothing. High temps will cause the coolant to form crystalized deposits if not flushed and changed.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
Well if it read 270F you got a problem. Its been severely overheated, possibly a head gasket or failed water pump.

And donbrew was right about the wacko professing to drill holes in the thermostat being from this site and thus being banned.
I was pretty sure he was nuts! I do agree the coolant needs to be changed, I got this car back in my divorce, she never took care of anything. I thought about the head gasket, so I'm going to do a bleed down test on all the cylinders, and a pressure test of the cooling system. Hope I will find the issue. Thanks for the feedback, I will update with my findings. Thanks again!
Old 11-27-2016, 04:43 PM
Technical Moderator

The t-stat works to keep the coolant HOT not cool.

240+ is dangerous overheating. At 250 the computer should have gone into limp home at 270 it should have shut down.

The fact that it didn't spew means there wasn't enough coolant to cause an over pressure. (none?)
Old 11-27-2016, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member

Did I miss it, or did you check the oil to see if it's got coolant in it? Which would indicate a head gasket, head or block issue.

Quick Reply: HHR SS sudden overheating