HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Hitch on a SS?

Old 03-11-2011, 03:05 PM

Question Hitch on a SS?

I want to see if ANYBODY has installed one. Pics? What did you/they use it for?

Hidden Hitch sells one
http://www.hiddenhitch.com/content/p...005&part=60815

Damn that thing has to be low!!

It would be nice for maybe a small trailer or a hitch mounted rack.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:23 PM

From the manual page 4-34:

SS Package
If the vehicle has the SS package, it is neither designed
nor intended to tow a trailer.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:12 PM
Banned

its not as low as it seems, crawl under there and youll see how hight the frame is,
we put one on an Lt at work , but it has a mobility power lift on the back to lift a power wheelchair..

very simple install, wiring and mouting around an hour.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by 09 Silver Bullett

SS Package
If someone wanted to install a hitch for the purpose of a hitch rack/tray or bike rack, then that wouldn't be so bad, would it? And if someone did use it for light towing, couldn't you just tell the dealer you have a hitch installed for a bike rack, hitch rack, etc? How would they know the difference? Think about it.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by goetylsd
If someone wanted to install a hitch for the purpose of a hitch rack/tray or bike rack, then that wouldn't be so bad, would it? And if someone did use it for light towing, couldn't you just tell the dealer you have a hitch installed for a bike rack, hitch rack, etc? How would they know the difference? Think about it.
Sure. Doesn't mean the dealer would believe you. They may figure if you have a trailer hitch installed, you have the ability to tow a trailer... That gives them cause to deny repairs lets say a transmission problem. Since the manual states not for the "SS" model, denial may be certain.

I just posted it cause I seen it in the manual.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:06 PM

SS Package
I thought it was only for manuals that it's not suppose to tow.

Originally Posted by KINGSHIPLEY
its not as low as it seems, crawl under there and youll see how hight the frame is,
we put one on an Lt at work , but it has a mobility power lift on the back to lift a power wheelchair..

very simple install, wiring and mouting around an hour.
That's an LT... the SS bumper is a good bit lower.

Originally Posted by goetylsd
Exactly.

Sure. Doesn't mean the dealer would believe you. They may figure if you have a trailer hitch installed, you have the ability to tow a trailer... That gives them cause to deny repairs lets say a transmission problem. Since the manual states not for the "SS" model, denial may be certain.

That is why it pays to have a good relationship with your dealer. Further, if you took it in for trans repair, could just un bolt the receiver.

Also, I believe the burden of proof would be on Chevy to deny your warranty. And if you didn't have a trailer wiring harness on it, that would also prove what I and goetylsd are saying. Although if I did tow and put a harness on it, I would make sure my little hauling rack had lights on it.

So to my original question.

Anybody ever seen one?
Old 03-11-2011, 06:40 PM

[QUOTE=Gas Man;543998]I thought it was only for manuals that it's not suppose to tow.

Manual Page 4-34:

The vehicle can tow a trailer if it is equipped with an
automatic transmission and the proper trailer towing
equipment. If the vehicle is not equipped as stated
above, do not tow a trailer.

Doesn't really state why they exclude the "SS". Like you said, maybe because the bumper is a bit lower.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:06 PM

I still call BS. I'm betting it has more to do with lugging the motor due to poor gear choices by the driver. Burning up the clutch and in general lugging the motor is actually worse for the motor than hitting the rev limiter.

But still no pics.... hmmmm
Old 03-13-2011, 12:10 PM

And I just read on the instructions that they want you to trim the bottom of the bumper... that pretty much kills it for me.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:18 PM

A hitch does not constitute towing. For those who have hitches for reasons other than towing, some use them for platform carriers, but most use them for bike racks. Our kids are avid BMX racers. All of our vehicles have hitches for bike racks, right down to our little 65hp Suzuki. We're thinking of getting one for our SS as well so we can claim back our cargo area for gear (helmets, coolers, tools, etc). I'd be bringing my lawyer and the press down to a dealership if they denied me my warrantee claim based upon their opinion instead of hard cold facts.

Case in point, do you think that this thing can tow anything other than a bike rack and 4 20lb bicycles? This would be part of my testamony...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hitch on a SS?