HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Joining the family :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 02:11 PM

Sulleys Progress Thread :D 09 Aqua SS

Went to Carmax this morning and test drove this Aqua Blue 2009 SS Auto , Dual Racing Seats /w the RPD but pretty much stock other than that.

Man this thing hauls butt!

It has around 50K miles on the clock and was in really good shape. The interior looks new for the most part. A few light scuffs here and there. The paint was looking good. The headlights are a bit hazy and there is some lite scuffs on one of the rims but other than that everything looks well kept. It hit 15psi no problems during the test drive and handled great.

The interior is a bit more cramped and "snug" versus the Kia Soul and the vision is not as good but I love that "****pit" kind of feeling it has. The ride back home was comfortable and very smooth. The Kia even on stock suspension was very bumpy and stiff compared to the SS.

Hopefully the weather will corporate and I can give it a good detailing inside and out this weekend.

As for mods I want to get some replacement headlights, get the front windows tinted and maybe the replacement tail lights. I'm trying to decide if I want to do the bow ties in white or go the black route since the depo headlights are blacked out.

My only question really right now is the Computer Tunes. I've searched and read over a bunch of info about them but where does one purchase? It seems like some sellers here no longer post so not sure where is the best place to go and which is the best. Should I do my mods first then go for a tune? I'm thinking the forged by pass valve, K&N intake, Auto Motor Mount and then some kind of exhaust. Is there anything else that would be good to upgrade to be beneficial? I don't want to go crazy but just a few mild mods with the tune and I think I would be happy.

I'm sure there will be some more questions but that's all I can really think of right now.

Last edited by sinabu; 01-14-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:07 PM

CONGRATZ!

To answer your question, I have a question...Are you staying under warranty, or do you have an extended warranty???

I have experience with trifecta and superchips...I can tell you that Trifecta is the better of the two, and superchips is about on par with the GMTU performance wise..

I bought the trifecta budget tune from this sitehttp://www.wot-tuning.com/forums/index.php?/store/, which hits 24-25 psi if conditions are right.... and will put the car in the high 13's to low 14's 1/4 mile with a good launch/soft tires

If you want to add the other stuff (exhaust, intake) the standard trifecta tune can tune for them, so you get the most out of those mods...there are issues with the k&n intake if you don't tune for it...just search for it with the p0101 code...

IF you are staying under warranty of some sort...GMTU might be your only option
Old 01-09-2014, 05:09 PM

The car is out of GM Warranty but I purchased the MaxCare Bumper to Bumper warranty which is for 5 years / 125K miles. It has a small deductible so if anything small happens I plan to replace myself and just have that around is something big happens (Transmission/Motor etc)

I would still like to tune it when the time comes, I guess I should go ahead and do the mods I want first so I can get it tuned the first time and not have to continue to pay. Or maybe just do the budget tune and not worry about extra mods. Just not sure exactly what I want to do on it just yet. After I drive it sometime maybe I will get a feel for what I want done. I would like to gain a little meaner sound (blow off sound, exhaust note) But nothing crazy, I'm not really planning on racing it but the tune has me very intrigued on how all that works.

I did just order the Depo Black housing headlights to replace the hazy ones and hopefully this weekend I can get into it if the weather is nice and give it a good detail inside and out.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:41 PM

just a warning...the bumper has to come off for the depos to be installed
Old 01-09-2014, 05:51 PM

I'm prepared :) Shouldn't be too bad of a job from what I read here on the forums
Old 01-09-2014, 06:16 PM

Ohh another quick question I just thought of. I didn't see much by searching but my SS had the small convex mirrors on top of the side mirrors. Is there a part number to get those small mirrors replaced and does anyone know how they mount or if they can be removed?
Old 01-09-2014, 06:30 PM

I am gonna go out on a whim and say those are probably after aftermarket...and probably double sided tape
Old 01-09-2014, 06:31 PM
Deceased

aboard
love the color
have fun w competition mode
Old 01-09-2014, 06:33 PM

When I searched I found a thread from a couple years ago that these were a factory option, Called Spotter Mirrors. The ones on this one are slightly worn and I'd like to just replace them. It looks like they were made for the mirror because it follows the curve line, I'll try and get a picture tomorrow.

Here's the one thread I found with Part #'s but those part numbers didnt work on GMpartsdirect.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/spotter-mirror-part-numbers-17487/

Originally Posted by badassbowtie
I am gonna go out on a whim and say those are probably after aftermarket...and probably double sided tape
Old 01-09-2014, 06:36 PM
Administrator

nice ride, enjoy it !!

Quick Reply: Joining the family :)