HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

LDK build

Old 10-17-2016, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by drummerboy0088
Catch can was removed, and man I hate to say it but everyone was right - it was a big waste of money. Catch can was creating too much vacuum, which is why I had engine whine.

Car responds like it's suppose to now without the catch can, but still can't hold boost. In launch control it gets to about 4.7PSI, then drops to 1.3 and holds there. Driving the car, can't get any boost, although as soon as I let off the throttle I hear the turbo dump the built up pressure. No codes either since I tuned the injectors with HP Tuners.

Ordered a boost leak tester from Modern Performance to do a boost leak test. Still not 100%, but finally making progress.
You probably meant something different, but the catch can doesn't create vacuum. And I wouldn't just jump to think it was a waste of money either. Either the catch can or something related(something you have now removed) is faulty. The air moving past was causing something to vibrate - all sounds are vibrations. Something inside the catch can or maybe one or more check valves is internally loose.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:57 AM

It's been quite some time, and I figured might as well post an update.

Starter grounded out, and fried one of my front brake lines - turns out we didn't secure the grounding and it came loose. Ripped the front end apart to make sure all electrical connections were grounded correctly.

Got new front brake lines, and driver side was leaking at the body fitting - had to re-flare the fitting, and no more leak. Turns out old lines were too tight, and ruined the flare.

Did a boost leak test, heard slight hissing (nothing major) in the following places
coupler from k04 to upper charge pipe
Upper charge pipe connection to the intercooler
intercooler to the lower charge pipe.

Tightened all those connections, and no more hissing.

Also noticed my MAP sensor in the intake manifold had about a 1/4" gap between the manifold and the sensor. Replaced that and the one in the lower charge pipe with 3 bar maps.

While we had the front apart, we also relocated the MAF to the lower charge pipe, put a block off plate in the CAI, and a forge atmospheric BOV on the K04.

Jumped on the ZZP black Friday deal, and grabbed tune for $65. They asked for all my upgrades and sent me a hptuners file. Figured this is a good starting point, then I can tweak as I continue to upgrade in the future.

Saturday is inspection and install the tune day - then we'll road test to see if it's holding boost.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:28 PM

Excellent! In the coming weeks we will have a LDK dropped into ours. Timing jumped and trashed the LNF.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:42 AM

It's. Finally. DONE! (for now)

Installed the ZZP tune last saturday, which took all of 5 minutes with HPTuners. Had the car warm up for about 10-15 minutes (coolant temp to 195) and it all sounded great! Cold start idling around 1000rpm, once it was fully warm, idling around 800-900rpm.

Put it in launch control, and it was holding boost! Road tested, and it was super responsive. This LDK motor only has 60 miles logged, so I can't really see what it can do, but I gave it mid throttle and was getting around 7psi in 1st gear, and it was holding. I asked ZZP for low boost in 1st so I can get better traction, so not sure if I would get more if I gave it more power, or that's what it will make with the tune installed. Time to drive 500+ miles with no boost to continue breaking in the motor.

Just to recap, here's all that my brother and I did for this build. This is how the build currently stands:
LDK motor with K04 Turbo
TTR Intake Manifold
ZZP Intercooler with Charge Pipes
ZZP High Voltage Coil Pack
ZZP HHR High Flow Intake
TTR Upper Engine Mount
TTR Trans Bushings
GM 3 Bar Maps
MAF relocated to lower charge pipe
Forge Atmospheric BOV

Future Performance Mods:
3" downpipe and exhaust
Larger Turbo

For now, time to wash, detail, and drive to log data for ZZP!
Old 12-13-2016, 11:34 AM

Good work, Nick!! That big burden is off you now, you'll fully appreciate all your toils once it's broke in!!
Old 12-13-2016, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Patience!, the next step for more power is dilithium crystals and well they haven't been invented, yet?

Old 12-15-2016, 07:40 AM

Thanks guys!

Is it car show season yet?
Old 12-15-2016, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Bbrrrr, not up here!
Old 01-05-2017, 08:31 AM

Little update.

Been going back and forth with ZZP after installing their tune, and I think we finally have the car dialed in.

Car was running great during the log, and I needed gas before I brought it back home. Scanned for codes (got none), stopped the log, fueled up, and began to drive home which was maybe 1 mile away.

Right before I put the car in the garage, the check engine light came on. Got a P0133 and P2261 code.

Looking on the form, and talking to Matt at ZZP, P0133 is a faulty 02 sensor
P2261 is Turbo bypass stuck open - I'm running a Forge Atmospheric bypass valve, Matt said he deleted the bypass code since I don't need it with my setup.

for the P0133 - which 02 sensor is that? Should I just replace both? I'm running stock exhaust.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:30 AM
Administrator

It's the first O2 sensor, as per this link check the exhaust for leaks, the wiring harness for loose or broken connections, reset it and see if it returns

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0133

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LDK build