HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

LDK build

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
It's the first O2 sensor, as per this link check the exhaust for leaks, the wiring harness for loose or broken connections, reset it and see if it returns

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0133
Thanks Oldblue!
Old 01-05-2017, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Testing is fun, perhaps a spacer is required, mostly for the second down stream sensor

Oxygen Sensor Spacers & Isolators

But I've read they can cause fuel ratio problems
Old 01-05-2017, 12:28 PM
Technical Moderator

I would be checking the exhaust bolts around the turbo. My guess is they are hard to torque properly.

The downstream sensor only monitors the health of the cat. On the SS the front sensor is wide band, you might need a different one for this engine setup.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I would be checking the exhaust bolts around the turbo. My guess is they are hard to torque properly.

The downstream sensor only monitors the health of the cat. On the SS the front sensor is wide band, you might need a different one for this engine setup.
I'm going to double check the connections on the first 02 sensor to make sure it's not loose or anything.

Confirmed with brother that we're running the original 02 sensors that came with the car from factory since we're running stock exhaust. I'll confirm with ZZP, but the 02 sensors should be the same for LDK or LNF.

ZZP confirmed car is good to go after I replace 02 sensors. If I get the power all the companies say I will get with this setup, it's looking like I should have 335-350HP. I won't believe anything until I get this on a Dyno.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:07 PM

Thanks for mentioning this, I didn't even think of that.

Confirmed with Matt at ZZP - he said the LDK and LNF do have different 02 sensors, and to get the one(s) that match my ecm (which is the one from factory, so LNF).

Just more info for those swapping LDKs into our little getters.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:32 AM

Few weeks ago I took the SS for another spin. Cleared the code for the o2, turned car off, back on, and let it warm up to operating temp.

No check engine light during drive, right before I put it back in the garage I turned the car off, and back on to see if the 2nd startup would trigger a check engine light. It did, this time P0351 code (Ignition Coil A Primary/Secondary Circuit). No code for the o2 sensor.

I'm running the ZZP high voltage coil pack, so I'll move the coil to check and see if it's a bad coil, or something else. At least ZZP gives a lifetime warranty on the coils and they're willing to replace for free.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:04 AM
Technical Moderator

It may just be telling you that you turned it back on too quickly for the relay, or the relay is sticky.

I don't know if the relay controls the bat or the driver, But the code relates to the driver signal NOT necessarily the coil.

This link tells how to test it. https://www.obd-codes.com/p0351
Old 02-07-2017, 07:35 AM

It may just be telling you that you turned it back on too quickly for the relay, or the relay is sticky.

I don't know if the relay controls the bat or the driver, But the code relates to the driver signal NOT necessarily the coil.

This link tells how to test it. https://www.obd-codes.com/p0351
Thanks donbrew!

Took the car out for a spin Sunday, about 50 miles round trip and got no codes, so I'll keep an eye to see if it comes up again.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:00 PM

Replacing my engine as well I read all your posts and say thanks. nothing ends up going perfect on a do-it-yourself project. Just wondering about your current experiences with Boost if you're getting full Boost and have solved all your problems. Also any special tools needed other than a lift. Thanks dave
Old 06-12-2017, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by cannuck
Replacing my engine as well I read all your posts and say thanks. nothing ends up going perfect on a do-it-yourself project. Just wondering about your current experiences with Boost if you're getting full Boost and have solved all your problems. Also any special tools needed other than a lift. Thanks dave
Hi Dave,
Sorry for the delay in response - I'm getting married in less than two weeks (!!!) so I've been MIA on the forums.

So after my last few posts my SS is running great - this is AFTER my brother and I did the following.

MAF relocate to lower charge pipe
3 bar map install
ZZP tune
Replace the failing coil in Bank 1 (free replacement since ZZP gives lifetime coverage on their high voltage coil pack)

I have HPTuners so ZZP sent me the file, I logged the car and would send the data back to ZZP for review. We were able to dial everything in and get it running. low-mid to mid throttle I'm usually around 5-8psi and it holds boost. I haven't gone full throttle yet since the motor just passed 500 miles, but 3/4 throttle I've seen boost get up to around 14psi and hold. Let's just say on the highway I'm lucky if I can go past 3/4 throttle before easily being around 105mph

Interesting thing is if I use the remote start and let the car warm up without putting the key in the ignition, the car feels sluggish and eventually throws a P2187 code. I can clear it, and the car runs fine. My guess it's a dirty/failing MAF sensor. That's the only bug I've been chasing, but it's pretty minimal compared to the old issues I was chasing.

I also have no catch can on the car - it was causing too many issues. Now that the car is running, I might look into doing something along the lines of RJ - 2 mini cans. 1 for the turbo, and one for the intake mani. ZZP says there's no need for it since the engine is brand new, and catch cans are band aids for a bigger issue.

Quick Reply: LDK build