HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Newbie SS Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 06:26 AM

[QUOTE=MetallicaMatt;314944]Hey guys, just joined the boards.

1) What should I expect to pay? I have some pull with a dealership owner, but that doesn't mean the salesman will try and make a buck. What price would be a steal for a 2009 HHRSS, 5spd, basic options?

Deals are out there and I got a better price than what the advetised Employee price is. I got the dealer to $22,750 on a $26,350 2008 that was new and has every option but side air bags. I then took another $1,000 off with a GM card and got it for $21,750 on the last day of July. I would wait till the employee prices is over and watch as the car maket is going no where and you will get as better price at some point. Be paitaint.
2) How do these cars perform in the snow? I was told "bad" by someone who owns a plain jane HHR. And after seeing the nice Chrome wheels, are you guys buying spare rims and snow tires?

I have not driven mine in the winter but with Stability control, FWD and Anti Locks it should be a no brainer. I have these also on a GTP and it goes through anything.

I would plan on wheels as the Pilots are nto great snow tires and the wheels are $750 each. One Curb would cost you what you would neally pay for a set of steel winter wheels and tires.

3) The car I drove had a plug in performance upgrade from a company (started with H). He basically paid $1000 for it, and now his car runs up to about 24-25psi. I MUST have something similar...but HOW WILL THIS AFFECT THE WARRANTY?

I am not an expert here on all programmers but many will void your warranty and can be tracked. I know some companies like Diablo is working on one that if you remove the program it will remove the tracking in the box.

The best I can say is you will risk your warranty with some programers. You really can't expect GM to pay for someone elses problems.

It is just part of performance. How bad do you want the extra power and are you willing to pay if you break something. Racers always break stuf and most can repair their own things.

If the worst case happens are you going to be able to afford it? That is the botrtom line. IF you can afford it modify away if not and it is your only car use care in what you change and do.

I sell programmers where I work and have seen it many times. Some programmers put little risk on the drive trasin but others take it to the edge. You care in what you choose and more options will be available in time. THis is a new engine!
Old 09-27-2008, 08:48 PM

How are the motors responding to these upgrades?
I don't plan on beating the snot outa it, but when I put the hammer down I liked how it would break the tires loose in 2nd
Old 09-28-2008, 07:03 AM

So far from what I have seen some have responed well. I HHR here is at 13:20's and should see 12's soon.

I have not seen much in the way of engine damage but I have seen tranny and clutch damage.

Trannys are the weak spot.

Now GM is working on a kit to retro fit even the Auto to just under 300 HP and still be under warranty. We have yet to get the details do we will have to wait to see what it all includes.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
So far from what I have seen some have responed well. I HHR here is at 13:20's and should see 12's soon.

I have not seen much in the way of engine damage but I have seen tranny and clutch damage.

Trannys are the weak spot.

Now GM is working on a kit to retro fit even the Auto to just under 300 HP and still be under warranty. We have yet to get the details do we will have to wait to see what it all includes.

I had saw the trans has been the weak spot....which brings my concern of warranty issues. I have no problem upgrading a clutch, but I feel the trans should be able to hold 300 hp
Old 09-28-2008, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt
I had saw the trans has been the weak spot....which brings my concern of warranty issues. I have no problem upgrading a clutch, but I feel the trans should be able to hold 300 hp
The 5 speed will hold up but as in any high performance application it will still stand a chance of a shorter life.

The Auto is helped by the computer but until they put the Delta II under the HHR [or iF they ever do] they can not use the 6 speed Auto as it will not fit without major changes.

The 6 wilth the Turbo would be a sweet combo and keep the revs right where you want them with a little computer programing.

Cars today are just not over built like they used to be and when you exceed the limits parts will break. You either have to modify it right to start or replace the parts as they break. I work in the performance aftermarket see this first hand on how it works anymore.

We make a good living off of broken Mustangs.

One thing though is the Ecotech is a very good engine and I have seen some amazing things done with it. I was lucky to get to see John Lingenfelter work on these right before he died. He was getting some amazing power form parts you never would take the strain.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:54 AM

Ohio is SS Central.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:47 PM

Hurm....it seems like if I tune it, bump the boost and my trans blows, my warranty is out the door.

Not so sure I want to go the HHR SS route anymore for my daily driver

The 2-step feature (or whatever its called) its awefully hard on the trans I think....i would imagine they will be seeing a lot of failed transmissions?
Old 09-28-2008, 04:52 PM

If you are worried about warranty GM will be offering a tubro upgrade kit:

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Here is the latest update on these stage kits.

The 19212670 is the part number for the manual transmission stage kit. Nobody will say whats in it, but horsepower goes to 315hp @ 4800 rpm.

No part number for the auto transmission stage kit yet. Horsepower will go to 290hp @ 5200 rpm.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:10 PM

^^when does that take affect?
Old 09-28-2008, 06:16 PM

Looks like 2 months:

Originally Posted by Jookster126
The part number is 19212670 and they will be released in the next 2 monthes.
Originally Posted by ChevyMgr

And as stated by jookster somewhere around 2 months before they are released.

Quick Reply: Newbie SS Questions