HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

NO Boost

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 08:38 AM

Turbos aren't suppose too buzz or make much noise at all...there's a serious concern there. Having an "upgraded" k04 is generally more trouble than their stock counterparts. It's a little baby turbo and not much can be done to increase its max output. Many have tried, look up the "batmowheel" on css.

The other issue having 27 lbs at idle sounds like routing to me. I'm not sure what sensor is mounted in the upper charge, none that I remember. There will be 4 sensors in question. The 2 are your MAP sensors, located in lower charge pipe and intake manifold. You said those were stock, also you're untuned. They are probably fine, hard to mess up because they are plug in harnesses. Earlier stage 1kit users have had issues with crimp on connectors on there upgraded MAP sensors. No vacuum lines to them. They only monitor barometric pressure and send that data over to the ECM.

Now the 2 sensors that actually control boost. First the turbo bypass relay. Located on the left side of the intake manifold, has 1 line in from the vacuum canister and 2 outs to somewhere! (follow FMG routing link, it's been a year since I've seen a stock setup) It controls the bypass valve, when you let off boost the vacuum created pulls the bypass open, thus the whoosh sound.

Finally the one everyone talks about the boost control solenoid. It's actually mounted to the turbo, 3 vacuum lines again. 1 in 2 outs. It controls the wastegate, keeping the turbo from over spooling out of control. This takes place while boosting under heavy loads. The wastegate rod pushes the gate open allowing exhaust to bypass the turbo.

Hope something helps! Keep us posted we'll get through it!
Old 05-14-2016, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member

Here's that picture so you folks don't have to scroll back and forth.

Name:  Bypass valve vacuum hoses.jpg
Views: 3300
Size:  41.9 KB
Old 05-20-2016, 01:38 PM

thanks for the replies. I have replaced the WG servo and no change. also have verified the routing of both of these valves. I have tested the Map sensor and it appears to be ok. I don't have a good vacuum pump so I had to test the old fashion way and can only say it smoothly changes state. So to me that only leaves the boost sensor/air temp in the lower charge tube. I will be replacing that over the weekend. if this is not it I guess the turbo is the issue. argh.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:27 AM

replaced the boost sensor in the lower charge pipe and no change. Yanked the new turbo out last night and I can wiggle the turbo shaft up and down a good .050" I am assuming this is wrong. It is shipping back today, I best not have any warranty issues after less than 200 miles on the car. babied during the break in. ARGH!
Old 07-25-2016, 11:53 AM

How are you doing on this, fasterbbc?
Old 07-25-2016, 12:52 PM

Well at this point I found out the New Turbobay Performance turbo was cooked after 70 miles. the bearing was bad, bent the shaft and wasted the wheel. They begrudgingly rebuilt the turbo. after waiting another 4 weeks (on top of the initial 8 weeks) I put it in over the weekend. thus far this one doesn't appear to be self destructing however only getting 10psi of boost. I have leak checked everything and all sensors check out fine as well. but at least I can drive and see if it gets better. initially only had 5psi so seems to be learning?