HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Oily residue from turbo outlet pipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by thatchh
Thanks for the replies. I think the catch can is a good idea. I wonder if there should be a drain bottle of some kind at the low point in the system, such as at the outlet of the intercooler.
I haven't actually heard anyone else say they have seen the same thing on their HHR. Are other people seeing this, or is there something different about mine? IT was literally dripping down the hose and onto the frame. Maybe my connection needs to be tightened.
Thatch
If it is leaking at the intercooler hose connection then you have a boost leak. We've gone to T bolt clamps on the IC hoses and zip tied all vacuum hoses to prevent boost leaks. Believe it or not a lot of turbo cars come with boost leaks from the factory. Both my PT GT and SRT-4 did.

Most people won't even see this oil until they pull their IC hose off.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by thatchh
Hi gang,
I have an 08 SS (5spd)with 3K miles on it, and no mods. I discovered an oily residue leaking out of the air pipe from the outlet side of the turbo. The leak is at the joint at the front of the engine where the plastic pipe connects to the intercooler inlet hose. There was enough residue that it was running down the hose onto the frame and had a drop waiting to drip off. I am suspecting either oil leaking from the turbo bearing seal, or possibly from the PCV system.
Has anyone else seen this? I suppose it could be assembly oil or something, but it was enough to run down the pipe and down the frame. If it's leaking out of the pipe, I wonder how much is actually going into the intercooler and engine. My exhaust pipe seems quite black, but I haven't noticed any oil smoke when the car is running. I haven't seen a significant consumption of oil.
I took it to a dealer and they concluded the usual- no problem found. They put some dye in the oil and told me to run it another thousand miles so they could check and see what happens.
If anyone's car has had the same symptom, I would like to hear about it.
Thatch Seattle

Can somebody post a picture of the location of the leak described above, because I have some type of leakage on my 08 SS with only 1900 miles. It seems to be coming from the small hose above the upper radiator hose right at the clamp. It is leaking down onto the coolant hose between the coolant fill cap and the top of the motor. It seems to smell slightly like coolant, but does not appear or feel like coolant, more like motor oil.
I am planning to get the SS into the dealer soon because of other problems, but I would like to go in knowing if this is normal or not.

Thanks,

SPPD
Old 12-19-2008, 02:36 PM

No problem found

Just as a follow up- I took the car into the dealer. As a precaution, they put dye in the oil. I drove it about 1500 miles and brought it back (as well as climbed under it myself) There was no real evidence of any oil leaks from the engine. The joint at the outlet pipe in front of the engine was a little moist, but there was no residue running down the pipe as there was before. My last turbo car tended to have residue in the pipe, so I'm going to say that this one is ok. I do think I'll try a catch can one of these days just to prevent dirtying up the intake to the engine.
Thatch
Old 12-24-2008, 08:17 AM

i agree with the some seepage is normal, especially on higher boost levels, i get well into the 20's on boost and get some on my jetta, colder weather will allow quicker and possibly higher boost, be sure not to bang the throttle until engine is at full operating level, be sure to use a top level synthetic oil, like redline or amsoil
Old 09-19-2016, 07:00 PM

I've discovered the same oil leak, is the Exhaust-Converter & Pipe Seal, part # GM OEM 12609878 ?
GM OEM Exhaust-Converter & Pipe Seal 12609878

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Best
Gene
Old 09-19-2016, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by shugarescu
I've discovered the same oil leak, is the Exhaust-Converter & Pipe Seal, part # GM OEM 12609878 ?
GM OEM Exhaust-Converter & Pipe Seal 12609878

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Best
Gene
That looks more like the inlet hose from the airbox connecting to the mouth of the turbo. This is quite common, and the oil would be from the PCV system.

You could remove the hose, wipe it out real good, and reinstall. But the oil will return. Here are some links:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-0l...tch-can-54350/
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...rbox-ss-56180/
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...fold-ss-56181/
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...lves-ss-56184/

Your direct injection engine has no fuel washing the oil deposits from the back of the intake valves. This is the oil from the PCV system, you found some of it there at the inlet hose.

So you remove the airbox and the intake manifold, and shell blast the intake valves and runners. You also need oil catch cans to catch all those vapor contaminants. Read the catch can thread, there's a lot of good information in it. Welcome to direct injection and forced induction.

Of course, there's a chance that your turbo is about to go and is spewing oil, so you should check it out, but it's probably just the PCV system.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:16 PM

Thanks

Cheers RJ.