HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

are problems about to rise?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 12:02 PM

are problems about to rise?

for the past couple of days i have noticed the turbo gauge has been riding around 16-18 -psi on the vacumn side, the gauge usually sits at -20 at idle since i have had the car, also during the floridia summer months the coolant temp never broke 199-201 degrees, today it was a cool 65 degrees and the temp hit 210. I have looked for loose tubing, topped off the coolant, etc. there is no engine warnings but, it does feel like the boost is going.... holds tight at +10 psi then as it climbs in the RPM's the boost increases to around 15-16 psi........ am I just experiencing presure changes in the atmosphere? I thought for sure I would get more boost as the weather changed........ I should have taken the extra 5 grand on Monday.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:20 PM

yup...
Old 09-24-2008, 12:41 PM

I've had my SS for about a week and a half. The Boost Meter idles about 22-23 in the Vac side (bottom side), is this normal? It has been around 75 degrees all this week and about 30 - 40% humidity in New Jersey. This is my first Turbo car and don't know anything about these types of cars.

I also noticed that when I shut the car it stays at around 22 in the VAC side.

What are you guys getting when idle and when shutting down your engines?

Thanks.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by traketo
I've had my SS for about a week and a half. The Boost Meter idles about 22-23 in the Vac side (bottom side), is this normal? It has been around 75 degrees all this week and about 30 - 40% humidity in New Jersey. This is my first Turbo car and don't know anything about these types of cars.

I also noticed that when I shut the car it stays at around 22 in the VAC side.

What are you guys getting when idle and when shutting down your engines?

Thanks.
Looks to me it would have been a better idea if chevy didn't put the boost/vacuum gauge in as standard equipment. After you shut down the engine you want the vacuum pressure to hold for awhile so you have brakes when you start it up. And, yes boost is a touchy thing since it is affected by a number of things. Just enjoy the ride, all is good, as long as the tach and speedometer are doing want you want them to do.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:11 PM

It always amazes me how little people know about cars but will still say things as if they do!
Old 09-24-2008, 01:38 PM

Rommer, what was wrong with the other post(s)?

Foolsmoon design and Traketo. I am not an expert and have asked several questions for clarification on this site (I think that is why it exists).

From my experience, at idle I get around 20inches of vacuum. At full throttle near redline I am getting a max of 16PSI of boost. I understand that the gauge is electric and not a true mechanical gauge and thus just stays at the last reading when the engine is shut off (electrical supply is shut off).
Old 09-24-2008, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by esmarkey
Rommer, what was wrong with the other post(s)?

Foolsmoon design and Traketo. I am not an expert and have asked several questions for clarification on this site (I think that is why it exists).

From my experience, at idle I get around 20inches of vacuum. At full throttle near redline I am getting a max of 16PSI of boost. I understand that the gauge is electric and not a true mechanical gauge and thus just stays at the last reading when the engine is shut off (electrical supply is shut off).
Wasn't aware that this "Boost/Vacuum Pressure Gauge" wasn't an actual pressure gauge. Just another reason to not have it as standard equipment. Thanks for straightening me out on this. I drive a turbo powered car now and don't have a boost/vacuum gauge and am glad of it. I'm an old timer and have taken the car in to the dealer because I could hear leaks while driving that affected engine performance that were confirmed and dealt with by my dealer.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:50 PM

Neither are Tachs. All electrical so they are not accurate as well. Who cares as long as it's close, that all that matters.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by camaro98z28
Neither are Tachs. All electrical so they are not accurate as well. Who cares as long as it's close, that all that matters.
yep, you're right on that. I just mention it so people quit looking at the boost gauge. But with the 5-speed, you either go by sound or the tach for shifting. When cruising I lock in the cruise control by the rpm I'm at and not the speedometer. I went to bigger than stock wheels and tires, so the speedo is reading about 2 mph's on the high side. I went from P195/65 R15's to P235/45 R17's.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:12 PM

Why do boost threads always end in arguments?

Quick Reply: are problems about to rise?