HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Questions - 2008 HHR SS - Might Purchase

Old 08-29-2012, 09:54 AM

Questions - 2008 HHR SS - Might Purchase

New to the forum here ... and after a lot of reading here and through google, I'm interested in hearing from some of you who are more familiar with this model.

I am looking at purchasing a 2008 HHR SS, manual 5spd. It has about 20k miles on it and is listed for a little over $15k. Have wanted one for quite a while, and finally in a position to buy.

I'm curious though ... are there any major differences between the three years? 2008-2010 ... other than being a year or two newer, is there anything in particular that might make buying a '09 or '10 a better idea??

Also ... is there anything specific I should be aware of when I go to look the car over? Other than the obvious stuff you look for when buying a car ... I'm curious to know of any quirks or possible things I might find that are considered issues with the HHR.

I've read quite a bit ... but all in bits and pieces. Haven't really seen a "buyers guide" for the HHR. Is there one online that give more in depth info about it's known problems?

Thanks,
Chuck
Old 08-29-2012, 10:07 AM

Hi Chuck and welcome to the site. Little difference in the three years. You do have a option of a digital boost gauge in the 09 and 10. They are mounted in the center dash, so you lose out on the storage space. AA5 was only for 09 and the panel version was only available to 09 and 10. Check for bubbles under the doors where the drain holes are, it's been an issue most people have had, especially if you winter drive your car.

I'm sure some of the other SS owners will be able to help in this area. Good luck in your purchase, they are great wagons.

Last edited by Tyler Harvey; 08-29-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:25 AM

I have the '08 HHR SS. I prefer to have the storage space. When you test drive it, take note of the boost level, and whether there are any boost leak noises. You'll need to get your foot in it to make sure you are getting the boost you should. Look on the inside of the gas cap door to see if it says 'Premium Required'. This would indicate that the car has the GM turbo upgrade already. It would give you close to 20psi boost instead of the stock 12-15psi. (You can also tell by a sticker under the hood and the different color Bosch sensors) If you don't have it and want it (and it is on a Chevrolet lot) you may be able to get them to roll the install into the car price. ($500 parts + ~1hr labor)
Old 08-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.
The 08s,09s were available with various option choices such as 3 interior colors, sunroof choice,roof rails choice etc.
The 10's were a limited options last year model. All had Black interior, sunroof, no roof rails and RPD on dash as standard. Only real choice was exterior color and the Perf.Pkg.(Brembo brakes and limited slip)only with the 5 speed.

One thing to look out for is the dreaded HHR brake shudder. Not as much an issue on the SS, but if this car has this, it's gonna need some new front rotors most likely. Use this possible brake repair cost as a price negotiator.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:49 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but I think in 08
You got a drivers performance seat only?
Old 08-29-2012, 11:50 AM

Also, the limited slip diff was optional on 2008s. You want it. Look for option code G85 on the sticker in the glovebox. The Ford dealer I got mine (used) from had no clue about this...

And I think the '09 and later had a radio with a USB port instead of the 1/8" plug for Aux input. That may have been optional, but was not available on 2008s.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:00 PM

I read a bit about the brake issues and warping rotors. Seems most of what I read was on earlier base models. One might think the SS would have better rotors on it?? Most articles recommended upgrading to Brembo or something simliar. Not a big deal there really.

Also read a bunch of complaints on earlier base models concerning electrical issues. Then again, same was true for the PT Cruiser I currently have. It too had a lot of complaints about electrical problems. But, I've had mine since new, have put 145k miles on it so far, in five years, and not one single issue to date. (knock on wood). Other than normal consumables - ie brakes, tires, belts, battery, etc..

I'm putting together a checklist. Since I have to drive 800 miles to get the vehicle, I want to be well informed and know what to look for.

It's been tough to find an SS locally with low mileage. I don't mind the trip though. Plus the dealer has good reviews online. And so far, dealing with them over the phone has been nice.

As for winter driving, no issue with that here in the south. But since it does appear to be a "northern" car, will definitely add checking door drainage to my list.

Any known fuel pump issues? Or leakage into the cabin during heavy rains? Some earlier base models seem to have issues with those two.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Blue_SS
Also, the limited slip diff was optional on 2008s. You want it. Look for option code G85 on the sticker in the glovebox. The Ford dealer I got mine (used) from had no clue about this...

And I think the '09 and later had a radio with a USB port instead of the 1/8" plug for Aux input. That may have been optional, but was not available on 2008s.
the aux jack would actually be better in my case ... with a new htc one x phone, thay have a StereoClip for playing music from your phone into your car stereo ... comes in handy for iHeartRadio

i'll be sure to ask the sales guy for an options list ... is there any way to lookup the VIN online to see what it may have come with??
Old 08-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Premium Member

Chevrolet customer service will do that for you if you ask her nice.

send her a PM ChevroletCustomerService
Old 08-29-2012, 01:21 PM

Chuck, my wife bought her 2008 SS 5sp new in Jul of 08 and other than having the tire pressure monitors replaced and a new battery (both under warranty) it has been a great car. She has 45k miles on it and it is a virgin - no turbo upgrade, never raced, always premium gas, always dealers serviced, and even still has the original tires. Great car. You won't be disappointed.

If for some reason your deal falls thru, I believe my wife is about to sell hers for quite a bit under what you sound like you might be paying. Mapquest says we are 2.5 hours from you. Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Questions - 2008 HHR SS - Might Purchase