HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Replacing the OEM Michelin Pilots on the SS

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 10:32 AM

I have a set of Conti DWS sitting at my local dealer waiting on wheels. I have my stock SS wheels/tires sold (7K miles) and ordered 225/55-16 Conti DWS and 16" Wheel Vintiques chrome smoothies and baby moons. Some might think this is a step backward, but everything I've heard about the Conti's tell me that even going to a taller tire they should work better than the stock 18's. Plus I particularly want the smaller wheel/taller tire look. I think it is better proportioned for the HHR.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:43 PM

I switched to Yokohama Avid ENVigor all seasons and will never look back. Awesome,awesome tires!!!
Old 02-07-2011, 05:10 PM

I will either go with the Eagle GT

Or the Eagle F1

Both of these are just amazing tires and at a good price compared to many others.

The GT is the best value in performance tires. You get a lot for the money with this one. It is nothing like the past Eagle GT as it has been re engineered in construction and compounding.

Most other have copies many of Goodyears designs including Conti. There was a great law suit a few years back and Conti lost big.

Buy either from Discount Tire or The Tire Rack as they both offer deals on these with rebates that make them a good value. Also watch Sears as they do get a good price once in a while.

Note as oil goes up tires will also go up. If you need them buy them soon if oil spikes with all that is going on in the Middle East.

Note too the GT is non directional and will rotate to any corner. You will get more even wear this way since our right side tires take a beating. This may be why I go with the GT. Directional tread is fine but the GT will hold up well for all the driving I do and rock would be better than the Pilots.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hyperv6
I will either go with the Eagle GT

Or the Eagle F1

Both of these are just amazing tires and at a good price compared to many others.

The GT is the best value in performance tires. You get a lot for the money with this one. It is nothing like the past Eagle GT as it has been re engineered in construction and compounding.

Most other have copies many of Goodyears designs including Conti. There was a great law suit a few years back and Conti lost big.

Buy either from Discount Tire or The Tire Rack as they both offer deals on these with rebates that make them a good value. Also watch Sears as they do get a good price once in a while.

Note as oil goes up tires will also go up. If you need them buy them soon if oil spikes with all that is going on in the Middle East.

Note too the GT is non directional and will rotate to any corner. You will get more even wear this way since our right side tires take a beating. This may be why I go with the GT. Directional tread is fine but the GT will hold up well for all the driving I do and rock would be better than the Pilots.
I was told by someone sometime ago that the goodyears have too much polyester. I was looking into getting them and was doing my research and thats what i got from an owner of a tire store/rim boutique that mainly focuses on exotics.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:25 AM

Eagle GT here and they work great. Could be what you heard "sometime ago" was about the old design Goodyear Eagle.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:25 AM

I'm lovin the Eagle GT's
Old 02-08-2011, 08:27 AM

I am very concerned about changing the performance of the car, as tires can be a big factor. Therefore I replaced with OEMs when I got to about 40K miles. When I get to about 80K I will be pulling out this thread to read everyone's input, and may change to another tire.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
Eagle GT here and they work great. Could be what you heard "sometime ago" was about the old design Goodyear Eagle.
The sometime ago was about a moth ago lol.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:32 AM

i personally will be going with Eagle GT when i buy new tires for my wagon, i've heard nothing but good reviews from friends that i trust.

a good friend who has a 400+whp turbo swapped Cobalt SS/SC with the Eagle GT's and he says they hold his power very well, he's had them for about a year and they have tons of life left.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:31 PM

Go Kumho

I replaced my tires for all season this November. Only had 24000 miles on them, but really not trustworthy in any kind of bad weather. They do great on dry, and I found there's better traction for the take off too. I researched online and at Big O and my dealer. Got the best deal, the best info, and I think the best tire through my dealer. It's the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum.
It's a performance tire, so still does well. Better feel on the road - the Michelin's picked up every bump in the ride. 60,000 mile tire, $550 plus $45 for Big O to put them on. Check it! I am keeping the Michelins for the summer ride though. Only $5 a tire to switch them out. Know that you have to have the computer reset on the tires after it's done at the dealer, or you'll get misreads on your tire air pressure info.

Quick Reply: Replacing the OEM Michelin Pilots on the SS