HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Single Biggest Improvement

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 11:07 AM

Some corners have serious positive camber, which helps the G's. Like the banking at Daytona.

I still have stock rubber. It's not the best grip possible, but they are very predictable. I will get summer rubber on it eventually.

I just bought the car new in June and am still settling in. I think I will change the front motor mount. The car jitters when I back up (it's a manual). I'm guessing it's the mount.

The motor in the signature is a 2.2 liter flat four in my old midengine Porsche 550 Replica (the car James Dean died in). This is not a lookalike, but a very close copy of the original, of which only about 60 were made. Real ones are worth around 1 million dollars.

You can see the cool air intake that went to the cooling fan. And also the intercooler, which sat under the other opening in the rear clamshell 'hood.'

The car was a 'blow through' turbo with dual twin throat 44 webers.

I had the original 155 hp engine turbo'ed and intercooled. 20 lbs of boost. Probably made more than 300 hp. Since the name '550' was the weight of the car, in kilograms, the weight of my Porsche was about 1250 lbs. With this type of power, it was faster than my 600 hp Viper. It would do 70 to 150 in about 6 seconds. You should have seen the guys faces, in their $100,000 plus Porshe Turbo's, when I blew their doors off!

But I would have lost my life, or my license, if I'd kept it much longer.

Handled great too.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing
Thank you for this great review!

Now try the Upper Engine mount, another great addition to reduce wheel hop, increase throttle responce, avoid breaking exhaust flex joints, and looks much better than the stock mount!
hey TTR, do you think you can send a like to a PDF of the install instructions for installing the rear sway bar?

thanks, mike
Old 09-23-2011, 02:02 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ChevyGuySS
hey TTR, do you think you can send a like to a PDF of the install instructions for installing the rear sway bar?

thanks, mike
Mike. You don't need pdf instuctions. It's 4 bolts on the sway bar. Look in my gallery pics. I've got a bunch of pictures of the TTR swaybar mounted. Heck, my pics came out better than the TTR instruction sheet!!!!
Old 09-23-2011, 04:11 PM

are there pre drilled holes or does it all just bolt up? george did you notice a big difference between it on and off?
Old 09-23-2011, 05:59 PM
Former Sponsor

are there pre drilled holes or does it all just bolt up? george did you notice a big difference between it on and off?
Pre drilled, you just install the 4 (included) bolts and it is done.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:21 PM

difference = HUGE No torque steer! Power to the ground when you punch it. Cornering hard is fun also.

Install = jack placed to support passenger side of engine. Remove cold air duct. Remove three windshield washer nuts. Move windshield washer reservoir out of way. Remove engine mount bolts. Remove mount. Install new TTR mount. Re-install everything. 10-15 minutes tops.

everytime you drive even more.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JeramieJJ
difference = HUGE No torque steer! Power to the ground when you punch it. Cornering hard is fun also.

Install = jack placed to support passenger side of engine. Remove cold air duct. Remove three windshield washer nuts. Move windshield washer reservoir out of way. Remove engine mount bolts. Remove mount. Install new TTR mount. Re-install everything. 10-15 minutes tops.

everytime you drive even more.
Thanks.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:23 PM

Installing the TTR rear sway bar is easy and the best thing I've done for my HHR without a doubt. I'm not mechanical and didn't have any tools. I had to buy the right size wrench and got some Lock Tite. I didn't even have any place to work on it. I installed it parked on the side of a street in Manhattan one Saturday morning. My only concern was that someone was going to think I was trying to steal the car or a homeless guy taking a nap.

Once you get under the car, you'll see right away where it goes. I used a zip tie to hold it up in place, installed the four bolts, and cut the tie. Done in about 20 minutes.

During my test drive I couldn't get the smile off my face.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

Put the sway bar on when my car was almost new. I hadn't driven it real hard before but immediatly felt the difference. Very little body roll and seems to eliminate the slight understeer it had before. Someone on here once used the term "slot car". That always pops into my head now when I take a corner a little fast. Yes, get one. Well worth it. Did you look at my pictures? It also looks good under there.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
..........Someone on here once used the term "slot car".

That's my line.......

Quick Reply: Single Biggest Improvement