HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

So many noises...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 02:05 AM

So many noises...

I seem to have the hearing of a German Shepherd, so I've always noticed sounds in my cars that nobody else seems to hear. Having said that, my HHR SS makes more noises than any car I've owned.

The center dash storage bin creaks over every single bump. Both front doors make a buzzing sound on rough pavement. The headliner crackles and pops over almost every bump as well. The driver's side mirror whistles at highway speeds. The transmission clunks fairly regularly when shifting in to 1st or 2nd gear at a stop or very low speeds. The differential (LSD) makes a very distinct grinding/whining noise whenever I let off the gas, noticeable at any speed but much louder when going slowly (I'm assuming it's the LSD and not the tranny since it doesn't go away when I push the clutch in).

There are plenty of other noises as well, but I don't mind the normal mechanical noises that the car makes (turbo whistle and blow-off valve, injector tick, exhaust rumbles and pops, and the usual wind and road noise that an economy car makes) but the other sounds I mentioned don't seem normal on a 2-week-old car.

Do I just have crazy dog-like-hearing, or are these noises not normal for a new HHR SS?
Old 06-12-2008, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Programmer
I seem to have the hearing of a German Shepherd, so I've always noticed sounds in my cars that nobody else seems to hear. Having said that, my HHR SS makes more noises than any car I've owned.

The center dash storage bin creaks over every single bump. Both front doors make a buzzing sound on rough pavement. The headliner crackles and pops over almost every bump as well. The driver's side mirror whistles at highway speeds. The transmission clunks fairly regularly when shifting in to 1st or 2nd gear at a stop or very low speeds. The differential (LSD) makes a very distinct grinding/whining noise whenever I let off the gas, noticeable at any speed but much louder when going slowly (I'm assuming it's the LSD and not the tranny since it doesn't go away when I push the clutch in).

There are plenty of other noises as well, but I don't mind the normal mechanical noises that the car makes (turbo whistle and blow-off valve, injector tick, exhaust rumbles and pops, and the usual wind and road noise that an economy car makes) but the other sounds I mentioned don't seem normal on a 2-week-old car.

Do I just have crazy dog-like-hearing, or are these noises not normal for a new HHR SS?

I dont have any noises in mine yet but its only a matter of time its just typical North American vehicle rattles.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:08 AM

I have the tranny clunk and the whine, but no other noises.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:11 AM

I haven't noticed, I just drive mine.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:00 AM

Your radio is not loud enough. Turn it up you won't hear anything.

Last edited by SdgrS; 06-12-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:58 AM

All I hear is the whir of the turbo and the faint sounds of people yelling "What the hell was that" as I zoom past them.

Seriously though all I notice is a small clicking type noise out of the engine which is normal according to the manual. No other weird creaks or anything. It is not as quiet as my Dads Cadillac but I didn't expect that on a $23,000 car verses his $60,000 cadillac.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:38 PM

Well, it's at my GM dealer now, and after a test drive with the shop foreman, he clearly heard the headliner creak, dash rattle and mirror whistle and said that they should all be fixed under warranty. The drivetrain noise seems to be normal, and I don't really mind it. Sounds more like a race car :)
Old 06-12-2008, 07:21 PM

I have every single one of those noises in my SS. I am taking mine in tomorrow because it has this new squeeking noise that only appears when the boost is below 0. It does not matter speed, rpm's, or anything else. Only by adding positive boost does the squeeking dissapear. I am concerned but it is under warranty afterall.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Programmer
Well, it's at my GM dealer now, and after a test drive with the shop foreman, he clearly heard the headliner creak, dash rattle and mirror whistle and said that they should all be fixed under warranty. The drivetrain noise seems to be normal, and I don't really mind it. Sounds more like a race car :)
When I am in Victoria in two weeks I will listen for your HHR and wave when I hear it.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:16 PM

Doubtful that they can get rid of the mirror whistle noise. It's inherent to the design of the car mirror.

Quick Reply: So many noises...