HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Soaked Driver's Side Carpet

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 03:45 PM

Soaked Driver's Side Carpet

I just found my HHR SS has a leak. Water drips from somewhere around the pedals, probably around the area between the accelerator and brake pedals. There were a few drops on the all-weather mat. When I pulled it up, I found the carpet is totally soaked. I'm not sure how long it's been like that under the mat, so I expect to see some new driver's side carpet in my future. A couple drops also appear to have come out of the vent on the passenger side, but 95% of the water came out the driver's side.

I've got an appointment for Friday morning, hopefully they will be able to find it. Has anyone else had any similar problems?
Old 09-09-2008, 03:52 PM

Have you checked out a similar thread by "ccsubruce" ?

His thread is a new thread also.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:26 PM

I Had the EXACT same problem with mine. Turned out that it was from when I was running the A/C. I would turn the fan off but not the A/C itself so the compressor would always be running wheather or not I had the fan on and the condensation would build up. Make sure you turn the A/C off by hitting that little button in the center of the thermastat

Originally Posted by Nebulous1
I just found my HHR SS has a leak. Water drips from somewhere around the pedals, probably around the area between the accelerator and brake pedals. There were a few drops on the all-weather mat. When I pulled it up, I found the carpet is totally soaked. I'm not sure how long it's been like that under the mat, so I expect to see some new driver's side carpet in my future. A couple drops also appear to have come out of the vent on the passenger side, but 95% of the water came out the driver's side.

I've got an appointment for Friday morning, hopefully they will be able to find it. Has anyone else had any similar problems?
Old 09-09-2008, 04:40 PM

Wow, I've got to admit there are a number of design decisions here that I'm not exactly impressed with. I rarely run my A/C compressor, for a number of reasons. We get brief but heavy rains here, and my carport is currently full of construction supplies. I've had a 3 other vehicles parked in the same spot without every having any similar problems.

Thanks for the thread info, JCJSS!

From the thread at https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/gallons-water-my-hhr-18093/, My guess is that it will turn out to be overwhelmed (not blocked) sunroof drain pipes. What an incredibly lame design!
Old 09-09-2008, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by xtremekirk
I Had the EXACT same problem with mine. Turned out that it was from when I was running the A/C. I would turn the fan off but not the A/C itself so the compressor would always be running wheather or not I had the fan on and the condensation would build up. Make sure you turn the A/C off by hitting that little button in the center of the thermastat
You compressor should not be running if your fan is off.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by InkTheFlesh
You compressor should not be running if your fan is off.
I agree.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:11 AM

Angry

Same thing happened to my SS Yesterday. The whole driver side was soaked. I will bring it to the dealer as soon as I can to have this corrected.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:43 AM

Compressor On or Off

My A/C has an indicator light that goes on with the fan if the A/C is slected. If that light is not to tell us that the compressor is running that what is it for?
Old 09-10-2008, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Offy
My A/C has an indicator light that goes on with the fan if the A/C is slected. If that light is not to tell us that the compressor is running that what is it for?
Damned straight!

There was a thread on this a few weeks ago. In my book the indicator should be lit if the compressor is running. Now it's part of my "pre-flight check" to always make sure the climate control is not set to defrost/defog. I can feel the performance difference when going uphill in high gear (5-speed, using 92 octane).
Old 09-12-2008, 11:30 PM

Well, I took it in today. They a bundle of wires coming through the firewall wasn't sealed like it was supposed to be. Apparently whenever it rained fairly hard and overflowed the black plastic area at the bottom of the windshield, water would run into the hole then into the driver's side of the floor pan. I've had the car for 4 months, and the carpet has probably been wet almost the entire time, hidden under the floor mats.

The lame dealer doesn't want to replace the carpet, so tried shampooing it. Of course, the mats are up to let the carpet dry completely (dry carpet, what a concept! ). Now that the carpet it exposed my 4-month-old vehicle smells like mildew. I left the windows open all afternoon as they recommended to let it air out. When I got in to close the windows before the evening rain starts it still smelled strongly of mildew, and that's after it was sitting all afternoon with the windows wide open.

I've got another nasty smell whenever I turn on the A/C, but it goes away (or maybe I just get used to it) after a few minutes. I am so disappointed with my dealer's service. Unfortunately, the next nearest dealer is 2 hours away, and they are both owned by the same company. I guess that's a disadvantage of living on an island.

So, it seems I'll have to call them and fight with them on Monday. Lame. At least I got a free tire rotation out of it, since it turned out today was free rotation Friday.

Quick Reply: Soaked Driver's Side Carpet