HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Soaked Driver's Side Carpet

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Nebulous1
Well, I took it in today. They a bundle of wires coming through the firewall wasn't sealed like it was supposed to be. Apparently whenever it rained fairly hard and overflowed the black plastic area at the bottom of the windshield, water would run into the hole then into the driver's side of the floor pan. I've had the car for 4 months, and the carpet has probably been wet almost the entire time, hidden under the floor mats.

The lame dealer doesn't want to replace the carpet, so tried shampooing it. Of course, the mats are up to let the carpet dry completely (dry carpet, what a concept! ). Now that the carpet it exposed my 4-month-old vehicle smells like mildew. I left the windows open all afternoon as they recommended to let it air out. When I got in to close the windows before the evening rain starts it still smelled strongly of mildew, and that's after it was sitting all afternoon with the windows wide open.

I've got another nasty smell whenever I turn on the A/C, but it goes away (or maybe I just get used to it) after a few minutes. I am so disappointed with my dealer's service. Unfortunately, the next nearest dealer is 2 hours away, and they are both owned by the same company. I guess that's a disadvantage of living on an island.

So, it seems I'll have to call them and fight with them on Monday. Lame. At least I got a free tire rotation out of it, since it turned out today was free rotation Friday.
sounds like my problem also, another member directed me here, I had started another thread on the wet floor. As soon as I find out the correct way to get the wiper arms off, without breaking anything I will check for the wiring harness hole in the firewall.....hopefully your solution will be mine also.............thanks........................... .....Tom
Old 09-15-2008, 08:08 AM

Tell them about the mildew and inform them that you have a sinus condition, and that having any type of mildew in the car will cause you have have a very bad infection. This will usually make them think twice about giving you a carpent since they dont want to have you coming back and sueing them cause they put your health at risk

Well, I took it in today. They a bundle of wires coming through the firewall wasn't sealed like it was supposed to be. Apparently whenever it rained fairly hard and overflowed the black plastic area at the bottom of the windshield, water would run into the hole then into the driver's side of the floor pan. I've had the car for 4 months, and the carpet has probably been wet almost the entire time, hidden under the floor mats.

The lame dealer doesn't want to replace the carpet, so tried shampooing it. Of course, the mats are up to let the carpet dry completely (dry carpet, what a concept! ). Now that the carpet it exposed my 4-month-old vehicle smells like mildew. I left the windows open all afternoon as they recommended to let it air out. When I got in to close the windows before the evening rain starts it still smelled strongly of mildew, and that's after it was sitting all afternoon with the windows wide open.

I've got another nasty smell whenever I turn on the A/C, but it goes away (or maybe I just get used to it) after a few minutes. I am so disappointed with my dealer's service. Unfortunately, the next nearest dealer is 2 hours away, and they are both owned by the same company. I guess that's a disadvantage of living on an island.

So, it seems I'll have to call them and fight with them on Monday. Lame. At least I got a free tire rotation out of it, since it turned out today was free rotation Friday.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:06 PM

Call GM and complain if they won't do anything. That of course has it's own reprocussions with a dealer that won't do what they should (been there, done that and been told to never come back...though it was a f*rd...)
Old 09-19-2008, 10:38 PM

I cannot believe how badly I am feeling about GM right now. I don't know if it is the dealer or what... I just got off the phone with the service manager. He said GM won't replace the carpet. Instead, he says I can come in and they will try to remove the mildew odor with something like Febreze. He says I will likely have to do it 2-3 more times, and they won't even come up with a loaner vehicle, even though each appointment is expected to take half a day.

Even when they said they would give me a loaner vehicle if leak diagnosis took over 30 minutes, when I arrived for the appointment they reneged and "didn't know anything about it". Now they won't even pretend they will give me a loaner vehicle.

I am so bummed out and disgusted. I guess on Monday I'll contact the dealership owner and give him an opportunity to make it right. Then I'll contact GM if necessary. If that doesn't work, I'll schedule the appointment and spend my time on the sidewalk outside with a big sign saying they are too cheap to provide a rental to repair damage to a new vehicle resulting from manufacturing defects.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:27 AM
Platinum Member

Nebulous......

Regarding the rental/loaner vehicle. I BELIEVE GM's rental/loaner policy is generally if the repair requires more than a full day to correct AND if the dealer has the means (rental agreements, etc) to provide said loaner. That perk is a variable from dealer to dealer.

When the dealer representative mentioned a loaner for the leak diagnosis taking more than 30 minutes....they/he/she spoke "out of turn"....unless of course the dealer, THEMSELVES, have such a policy.

You mentioned the dealer using Febreeze for the mildew odor. That may work. HOWEVER, ANY TRACE OF THE MILDEW/MOLD MUST BE TOTALLY REMOVED FIRST. Give the dealer a chance, but YOU stay on top of it.

Several years ago, I had a serious mildew/mold and odor problem in the BRAND NEW carpeting of a custom vehicle (long story for another time). After thorough cleaning with a chlorine product (underside), the odor continually came back. I cleaned one more time, dried very well and used baking soda, sprinkled under AND in the carpeting, as a odor attractant (which was vacummed up). After several days the odor was gone completely. But the real "key" for you is if the carpeting is discolored in any way. Then in should be replaced.

My 2 cents.