HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

The SS is hurt!! Please, lend me your ears...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 05:58 PM

Seems my update didn't post up here when I wrote it a few weeks back, so here it goes again.

Body shop quoted me~ $1700 for repairs: New intercooler, A/C condensor, bumper cover, and lower grille. Plus paint, labor, etc....

The good news: Insurance paid up, and I took it home to make repairs. Found out that the right side intercooler tank was almost completely shattered, and only holding together because the left side mount (and charge tubes) were holding it pretty much in place.

Replaced with Crazy Steve intercooler, and after a night of trying to engineer it, I called them with installation questions. After that, it went together with only minor headaches. A shim here, small adjustment there....like all modification projects go.

Bigger problem, now, however. Since the install, I've only gotten the car to boost to approximately 10 psi, instead of the 15 pre-raccoon. Also, the Missus is complaining that the car tries to stall out at stoplights when cold, and is lacking power. I've noticed the apparent lack of power under low RPM. i.e. Under cruise, at 60 mph, the car really struggles to pull a hill without downshifting. When it does shift, it will lay you back in the seat when it takes off. (For reference: My dodge, pulling a 7500# car trailer, will take the same hill under cruise without shifting, or much struggle.)

Think I've got a boost clamp working loose? Or maybe I have a bigger problem lurking below the surface? Ambient temps have dropped off fairly sharply recently as well.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:00 PM

Lack of power after new intercooler

Posted in another thread (about animal damage), but here's the short version:

Hit a raccoon, dead center. Ended up with intercooler being the only true mechanical damage. Replaced with Crazy Steve intercooler, but some issues have arisen.

Since the install, I've only gotten the car to boost to approximately 10 psi, instead of the 15 psi pre-raccoon. Also, the Missus is complaining that the car tries to stall out at stoplights when cold, and is lacking power. I've noticed the apparent lack of power under low RPM. i.e. Under cruise, at 60 mph, the car really struggles to pull a hill without downshifting. When it does shift, it will lay you back in the seat when it takes off. (For reference: My dodge, pulling a 7500# car trailer, will take the same hill under cruise without shifting, or much struggle.)

Think I've got a boost clamp working loose? Or maybe I have a bigger problem lurking below the surface? Ambient temps have dropped off fairly sharply recently as well.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by raccoonjoe
Posted in another thread (about animal damage), but here's the short version:

Hit a raccoon, dead center. Ended up with intercooler being the only true mechanical damage. Replaced with Crazy Steve intercooler, but some issues have arisen.

Since the install, I've only gotten the car to boost to approximately 10 psi, instead of the 15 psi pre-raccoon. Also, the Missus is complaining that the car tries to stall out at stoplights when cold, and is lacking power. I've noticed the apparent lack of power under low RPM. i.e. Under cruise, at 60 mph, the car really struggles to pull a hill without downshifting. When it does shift, it will lay you back in the seat when it takes off. (For reference: My dodge, pulling a 7500# car trailer, will take the same hill under cruise without shifting, or much struggle.)

Guessing most likely cause is a boost leak could be clamp or pipe or even new intercooler.
You can make up a boost leak checker pretty easily if u have an or Compressor.
Also another guess would be lower tmap sensor or maybe Mr racoon pushed lower boost pipe back enough where lower tmap wires hit the ac Compressor. And damaged wires
Old 11-19-2014, 10:21 AM
Platinum Member

Rather than run two threads with the same questions, the threads have been merged for clarity.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:02 PM

Smile Been there...Done that!

Sorry to tell u but your intercooler is probably trashed! I live out in the country and have hit wild hogs, deer, and multiple smaller animals like raccoons and armadillos and I've had to replace my intercooler TWICE at about 500 bucks a pop (along with 2 hoods, a few fenders, a set of headlights, a door skin or 2 and a set of upper and lower grills). The ends of the factory intercooler are plastic and are inherently prone to breaking due to where they are mounted to the plastic sides. Good luck on getting it replaced. If I ever have to do it again I'm going to get an all aluminum aftermarket intercooler. Let me know if u have any questions.
Later-
Old 11-26-2014, 03:33 AM
geg

I feel sorry for this guy.
I feel sorry for this wonderful car.
I feel sorry for those 1700 bucks, worth of better application.
Gosh, I feel sorry for this raccoon. I hope you get at least the his pelt (or skin, or scalp, do not remember how to English).

Just words of sympathy, what else do.