HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

What does a BOV do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 09:12 AM

so is anyone making one yet, or will the cobalt ss BOV work as a bolt-on...or with litle mod.?
Old 09-30-2008, 12:31 PM

The Turbo Cobalt already has BOVs for it?

Also you don't hear bypass valves because they don't release into the outside air, the recirculate the air back through the system, most any VW or Audi has BVs on them. My twin turbo S4 and a nice set of diverter valves and they make no sound.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Chevy SS
The Turbo Cobalt already has BOVs for it?

Also you don't hear bypass valves because they don't release into the outside air, the recirculate the air back through the system, most any VW or Audi has BVs on them. My twin turbo S4 and a nice set of diverter valves and they make no sound.

Isn't that more desirable (bypass valve) for performance? I don't care about the sound, but it sounds like some want to add a BOV just for the sound
Old 09-30-2008, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by esmarkey
Isn't that more desirable (bypass valve) for performance? I don't care about the sound, but it sounds like some want to add a BOV just for the sound
It is for closed turbo systems like on Audis and VW's unless you are making major power. A lot of times on stock or lightly modded Audis BOV's can cause problems, but they can also work just fine.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:46 PM

I get that, I was wondering if the CBV (closed loop) was a better choice than a BOV (vents to outside), and why we never hear about the CBV.
The link that XXL supplied (BOV 101) explained that venting to the outside can cause problems with the ECU. Both work to save the turbo, but the CBV sounds like a better alternative?
Old 09-30-2008, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by esmarkey
I get that, I was wondering if the CBV (closed loop) was a better choice than a BOV (vents to outside), and why we never hear about the CBV.
The link that XXL supplied (BOV 101) explained that venting to the outside can cause problems with the ECU. Both work to save the turbo, but the CBV sounds like a better alternative?
Millions of cars everyday run BOVs and have no problems, same with BVs. I think it will be an endless debate on what is better.