HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

what IS this thing??

Old 08-04-2008, 12:14 PM

what IS this thing??

I've had my SS for less than a week, but I must have had at least 15 people already ask me that this vehicle is. They are so perplexed and confused when I try to explain it. First of all, apparently the HHR is not well known by the common folk, even though Chevy sells hundreds of thousands of them and they've been out 3 years now. The SS just complicates things even further. The common response I hear is that the HHR "is similar to the PT Cruiser", although unanomously people say the HHR is better looking.

The looks I get when I pull up to the stoplights are priceless. Lots of pointing over at it, and if I can read lips, lots of "what the **** is that thing?", followed by "sweeeet" and head nods!

As an added bonus I surprised the crap out of a new BMW 3-series owner this morning on the way to work. He was driving aggressively along a four-lane highway, swerving between lanes without signaling. I decided to blow by him and he just looked at me like "huhhh???" Priceless.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:27 PM

The HHR was designed by the leader designer of the PT. The HHR is based on GM's Delta platform (Cobalt, ION, Astra, etc...)

However, I swear the HHR is smaller than a Cobalt.

It's technically an "SUV" for classification purposes.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:36 PM

It was modeled after
1949 chevy suburban

http://www.northstarhhrs.net/
Old 08-04-2008, 02:13 PM

Chevy considers just as Chrysler considers the PT as SUV/Trucks. The idea is they get good milage that rasies the corperate average of the truck fleet for both companies. In other words for every HHR or PT they can sell more full size trucks so it is a win win deal.

The PT Convertsble is is listed with the Fed Gov as a car since it really has no cargo space and a trunk.

The SS is not well known and is just know being discovered by non GM fans. The media had great reviews on it earlier this year but they were small and not featured on the covers of most magazines.

Even the mention in the 08 Dealer book was just a small addition.

I suspect as hard of a time I had trying to find one with the options I wanted the SS will be a big seller for GM in 08. They can build 10,000 but can expand that if needed. The price and milage fit so many demographics that it should catch fast once people know more about them.

I have always had cars that stood out like my Chevelle SS with a duel quad Tunnel Ram sticking out the hood. I can say I have notice many looks and questions on the HHR SS.

Note most are just shocked it has a tubo and is not just another emblem car from GM like the Malibu SS and other mistakes they made in the last 10 years abusing the SS name.

GM hurts themselves more by poor marketing than anything else. This is not the first time!
Old 08-04-2008, 02:38 PM

I hope GM keeps production numbers down. I believe GM estimated 70% of buyers will opt for the auto, which kind of translates to only 3000 units a year being manual.

I like having a car that is somewhat rare than have a car that anyone can easily buy.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6

Note most are just shocked it has a tubo and is not just another emblem car from GM like the Malibu SS and other mistakes they made in the last 10 years abusing the SS name.

GM hurts themselves more by poor marketing than anything else. This is not the first time!
There's no doubt that Chevy hurt themselves by using the SS emblem on vehicles that didn't deserve it. The Malibu SS is a classic case, as well as the Monte Carlo SS when it was basically a graphics package. At least Pontiac stuck to its guns with the GTP and GXP models, which were either S/C or V-8. I think one model that may have been a bad decision was the Trailblazer SS, especially now because of gas prices. They can't possibly sell too many of them these days.

Chevy did have the Bob Lutz announcement of the HHR SS, but I've only seen the video on the internet, so I'm not sure the general public even saw it. I don't believe I ever saw a TV ad for the HHR SS, and the only HHR ad I've seen are the general Chevy ads that include the HHR and other models in the same ad.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by jerSSey HHR
There's no doubt that Chevy hurt themselves by using the SS emblem on vehicles that didn't deserve it. The Malibu SS is a classic case, as well as the Monte Carlo SS when it was basically a graphics package. At least Pontiac stuck to its guns with the GTP and GXP models, which were either S/C or V-8. I think one model that may have been a bad decision was the Trailblazer SS, especially now because of gas prices. They can't possibly sell too many of them these days.

Chevy did have the Bob Lutz announcement of the HHR SS, but I've only seen the video on the internet, so I'm not sure the general public even saw it. I don't believe I ever saw a TV ad for the HHR SS, and the only HHR ad I've seen are the general Chevy ads that include the HHR and other models in the same ad.
The Trailblazer was a true SS with a bunch of HP (6.0L) and suspension changes but GM did little to set the car off otherwise so it blended in. I agree with you on the Monte and the the Malibu...stupid.

The HHR is different to begin with and the SS is a departure from there. Job well done. Some time GM hits the mark and others they don't looking for sales.

We just dig the SS and take it every chance we can. People ask all the time "When did GM start making this?" LOL.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:58 PM

I get even stupider looks and a big HUH!? when I tell them it means "Heritage high top"

So I have have decided to tell them it means "Horny Hot Rod", they seem to like that better.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by jerSSey HHR
There's no doubt that Chevy hurt themselves by using the SS emblem on vehicles that didn't deserve it. The Malibu SS is a classic case, as well as the Monte Carlo SS when it was basically a graphics package. . . .
You do realise that the "SS" package dating back to it's roots, was really just a trim package???

My Dad's fisrt SS was a 1966 Impala SS . . . sleak and mean looking . . with wire wheel covers and 195 hp 283 V8 two barrel carb . . . .

Originally Posted by Kicker|MyU
I get even stupider looks and a big HUH!? when I tell them it means "Heritage high top"
I'd give you a stupid look if you call it that too . . . .

It's a . . . Heritage High Roof . . . . .
Old 08-04-2008, 08:09 PM

I get lots of confused people, plus when I drop the hammer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what IS this thing??