HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Who has the fastest automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by lasater
I think I do.
I think I just drooled a bit
Old 08-13-2015, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by 2005HHRauto
The Jerico Air-Shifted 5-speed is clutch-less, so it really is kind of automatic...

Ethanol , is Gods racing gas... LOL

But really, the OP needs info on keeping his 4t45e, living a long life...

For long 4t45e longevity:
1. Reduce shift time in half , via HPTuner.
2. Increase the torque reduction in 1st gear, 0-3,500rpm
3. Use 100% synthetic fluid , & change it, every 2 years.
4. NO super sticky street tires, as you don't want to 'dead-hook', on the street.
5. Experience ?? I just turned 62 , so I kind of know, how to drive wisely, & not beat up, the equipment ??

And really, our little buggy, is so easy to mod:
1. Just a 'tune', any 'tune' , will wake it up, & make it a true muscle-car, & oh so fun to drive...
2. 'Tunes' can be mild-to-well thought out, our buggy is so easy to 'tune', really no wild 'tunes' needed, as a wild 'tune',
is really a bad 'tune', a 'tune' that isn't well-thought-out.
3. A simple, well thought out, gasoline 'tune', WILL be so streetable, & also be, a mid 13 second beast, at the track.
4. An Ethanol 'tune', + some really simple mods, WILL still be 100% streetable, = run 12s, at the track.

These simple mods = 12s , at the track.
1. E47 Ethanol 'tune'.
2. K&N air intake system.
3. Coring the 2nd cat.
4. TTech engine mount.
5. Slicks, or really good drag radials.
That's it, it really is that easy...
A 'tune' , 2 aftermarket parts, modding the 2nd cat, & good tires.

For me to go 12.3s , I had to add a 3" cat-back, + light-weight rotors, & wheels/tires, saving 100 pounds, BUT sill, 100% streetable.
It is still 100% streetable, gets 30mpg on highway trips, if I'm really trying, LOL , & I drive it year round, in Pittsburgh winters too…
I just reprogram to trans, for 2nd gear starts, using the "I", shifting position, in the winter, for reduced torque, when starting out on ice, or heavy snow... LOL

FUN FACTS
Run E20 , if you have Ethanol in your area.
5/1 ratio = 5 parts E10 91/93 gasoline , + 1 part E85 = E20.
Your engine will love it, run better, last longer, more power, try it, NO tuning needed, ...
If you 'core' the 2nd cat, NO tuning is needed.
If you add the K&N air intake system to your buggy, NO tuning is needed, & this system, will cause your stock 'tune', to be better...
If you add the K&N intake system, 'core' the 2nd cat, + run E20 , NO tuning needed still, & your buggy will run so sweet...

My Buggy is 100% stock, expect for the following mods:
1. E47 'tune'
2. K&N air intake system.
3. TTech engine mount.
4. 'Coring' , of the 2nd cat.
5. 3" cat-back exhaust, ( needed to go 12.3s , instead of 12.4s), LOL. A cat-back, is really not worth doing...
6. Lightweight rotors/wheels/tires, & 4 lug wheel bearing hubs, for my 4 bolt Enkei 9.5lb wheels. Rotors are now, stock cheap 1996 Honda Accord, on the front, & cheap Honda Civic STI, on the back. Saved 100 pounds doing this, feels great on the street, & knocked one tenth, off of my 1/4 mile times.
Definitely NOT worth it, & I would never do this again. I really expected more than a tenth, at the track, doing this...
So, if I had too do it again, I would skip steps 5 & 6 , & be happy running 12.5s at the track, instead of 12.3s.

I'm glad to hear you got into the 12's so easily. How do you launch? I usually brake launch when I'm racing in competition mode in intermediate. I have a big turbo and cams ready for install. Just waiting on funds for the dyno time. Thoughts on 16x8.5 with nitto nt01's? Would you cut time with an lsd insert? I'm racing my uncles big block Malibu this fall and I wanna put a beating on it haha. No e85 in southern Ontario as of yet. Also, I have the ttr engine mount, zzp catless downpipe, zzp intake, werks phenolic spacers, werks charge pipes, trifecta tune on 94, Powell yyz's and xxx sway bar, and all the small lnf mods like vacuum tank delete, evap delete, pcv delete, and freshly cleaned valves. I think I should hit mid 12's now, but I'm hoping I can cut a second off that with the new turbo kit, cams, lsd, and 16" rims with good tires
Old 08-13-2015, 08:26 PM

I overboost, for the awesome torque spike, that Ethanol provides.
That is what makes it easy, to get into the 12s.
Not my dyno chart, but another automatic HHR SS on E85:

Shifter in 'D' , with just traction control off.
Boosted brake launch of approx: 2,700 RPM works best for me...
Will your Trifecta 'tune', let you 'boost-launch', if not, your screwed.
Only slicks, for 'wrong-wheel-drive', it's a waste of effort, with drag radials...

I don't think that they make an LSD, for the 4t45e, if so, I really don't see it helping much. Cost & effort, most likely great, with unknow return ? With good slicks, you can't go wrong.

I thought about going with an ZFR, to get into the 11s, put I truly believe that the 4t45e, would die, & spilt it's guts, all over the track...

This is my Max-Air-Load curve, for the street.
For the track, I have found that I can boost-launch' best, with, Max-Air-Load , set to 100%, everywhere, no ramp up curve, as shown, just a straight line, no curve:
Old 08-13-2015, 09:22 PM

I overboost, for the awesome torque spike, that Ethanol provides.
That is what makes it easy, to get into the 12s.
Not my dyno chart, but another automatic HHR SS on E85:

Shifter in 'D' , with just traction control off.
Boosted brake launch of approx: 2,700 RPM works best for me...
Will your Trifecta 'tune', let you 'boost-launch', if not, your screwed.
Only slicks, for 'wrong-wheel-drive', it's a waste of effort, with drag radials...

I don't think that they make an LSD, for the 4t45e, if so, I really don't see it helping much. Cost & effort, most likely great, with unknow return ? With good slicks, you can't go wrong.

I thought about going with an ZFR, to get into the 11s, put I truly believe that the 4t45e, would die, & spilt it's guts, all over the track...

This is my Max-Air-Load curve, for the street.
For the track, I have found that I can boost-launch' best, with, Max-Air-Load , set to 100%, everywhere, no ramp up curve, as shown, just a straight line, no curve:
Yeah, it's the uncanned trifecta tune, still kinda sucks though, but it lets me boost launch, not sure what psi I launch at. not much spinning going on because I'm boost ramped until 3rd. I went with a t3 gt2871r and ecotec turbo manifold, synapse dv, tial 38mm wastegate set to 25psi but with the electronic boost control and new hpt tune, I think I'll try 27psi on the new turbo. Team green makes an LSD insert for $250. It should help quite a bit because our cars have esc enabled when you really light the tires up
Old 08-15-2015, 07:44 AM

I'm turning, 1.7s 60', foot times, & this is really pushing it, with the stock 4t45e.
I think that this is close to the limit, for this automatic.

Since the LNF ECM is torque based, every LNF, is boost-ramped, or torque limited, in one way, or another, by the 'tune', factory, or aftermarket...

Boost-ramped is just a polite way that the 'tuner', is telling you, yea, I 'tuned' you, to provide your car, with more power/torque, but since you have wrong-wheel-drive, I'm going to take most of your awesome power/torque, gains, back, in 1st, & 2nd gears. Yea, that's what the factory GM 'tune' does too…

Here's what our stock factory boost-ramped curve, looks like:

Here's what my, NO boost-ramped curve, thru the gears, looks like:

So, the 1st, & easiest 'tune', is for your 'tuner' to spend 15 seconds, to change just this table, to give you full power, in ALL gears. You'll think that he is a ''god', but all he did, was to give you the power/torque, that you allready had…

Screw that, I want ALL of that gain, ALL of the time, I even want to OVERBOOST, thru the gears, to make even more, of that sweet,sweet, power/torque.
I'll deal with the power/torque gains myself, thru self-control, slicks, or hay, watch how I can toast the tires, on this little 4-banger ...

Since Trifecta has , 'select-a-tune', have them give you ALL of that power/torque, back, with a switchable 'tune'.

Last edited by 2005HHRauto; 08-15-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:44 AM

I'm turning, 1.7s 60', foot times, & this is really pushing it, with the stock 4t45e.
I think that this is close to the limit, for this automatic.

Since the LNF ECM is torque based, every LNF, is boost-ramped, or torque limited, in one way, or another, by the 'tune', factory, or aftermarket...

Boost-ramped is just a polite way that the 'tuner', is telling you, yea, I 'tuned' you, to provide your car, with more power/torque, but since you have wrong-wheel-drive, I'm going to take most of your awesome power/torque, gains, back, in 1st, & 2nd gears. Yea, that's what the factory GM 'tune' does too…

Here's what our stock factory boost-ramped curve, looks like:

Here's what my, NO boost-ramped curve, thru the gears, looks like:

So, the 1st, & easiest 'tune', is for your 'tuner' to spend 15 seconds, to change just this table, to give you full power, in ALL gears. You'll think that he is a ''god', but all he did, was to give you the power/torque, that you allready had…

Screw that, I want ALL of that gain, ALL of the time, I even want to OVERBOOST, thru the gears, to make even more, of that sweet,sweet, power/torque.
I'll deal with the power/torque gains myself, thru self-control, slicks, or hay, watch how I can toast the tires, on this little 4-banger ...

Since Trifecta has , 'select-a-tune', have them give you ALL of that power/torque, back, with a switchable 'tune'.
I noticed that a bit actually, trifecta isn't really for me though, Vince is hard to contact and the tune is hit and miss. I decided to go with hpt by sskev over on the css.net forums. I had my final drive changed to 3.91 when I got my team green insert installed, and mechanically its fine, but some of my gauges are acting up.. I have dyno time booked in a few weeks, hopefully they solve it when I'm there
Old 09-30-2015, 02:18 PM
Nazgul 9

Did this over the weekend.. auto with trifecta tune.

im 515
Attached Images  

Old 10-04-2015, 10:39 AM

Hey congrats! And still on a factory turbo. I was hoping to get to the track this season but I don't think it's going to happen. I cant wait to stop babying the new motor and turbo so I can start breaking weaker parts!
Old 10-04-2015, 11:36 AM
Nazgul 9

Thanks....and breaking weaker parts??? lol that doesnt sound good...

Old 10-04-2015, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Nazgul 9
Did this over the weekend.. auto with trifecta tune.

im 515
I'm so amazed at your 1.82 60' time, on street tires..
I can just do a little bit better, with slicks, at 13lbs of air pressure, on
liightweight wheels, boost launching at 2,600 rpm.
A no-slip launch = 1.7s
A little bit of slip = 1.8s

Quick Reply: Who has the fastest automatic?