"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

2010 HHR SS Adding turbo gauge to A pillar

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 06:12 PM

2010 HHR SS Adding turbo gauge to A pillar

Ever since I bought my 2010 SS new, I have wanted to do 3 things: Quiet the interior (with Dynamat); add factory roof rails; and add the factory boost gauge to the A pillar (mine came with the RPD dash box). Now that I am retired, I have the time to do it... and I couldn't have done it with out all of the various postings on this site.

In an attempt to say "thank you", I thought some of you would be interested in the fun I had with the A pillar boost gauge project. Although I have the RPD box on the center of the dash (and like it), I normally have it set on the speedometer readout. Not only do I like the way the boost gauge looks on the A pillar, but what could be better than both?

At first, I was just hoping to find the GM plastic trim that could support the tweeter and the gauge. And then find a gauge (and run a plastic tube thru the firewall to the engine). But things got exciting and a lot easier when I found that the RPD unit was an option on the 2008 and 2009... and standard on the 2010. This meant the boost gauge had to be standard on the 2008 and 2009 and most likely could operate at the same time as the RPD.

Then I struck gold when I found an unused connector at the base of the A pillar (see pictures)... possibly for the boost gauge. If true, this confirms that the factory boost gauge runs off the engine computer... not requiring a vacuum tube... and the lighting could all be handled through this connector!

With the help of my Chevy parts man, I ordered P/N 25799244. It is the driver's side trim assembly that includes the light grey pillar cover; a tweeter (which I already have); and the AutoMeter boost gauge (all assembled)! And the whole assembly was only $150.00. It took me only a few minutes to install... and it works... boost and lighting!

Note: To remove the A pillar trim, gently pry off the "Airbag" cover piece and remove the screw (there is no airbag under the trim). When reinstalling the trim, you might find the tab at the base of the trim too thick for an easy install. I used a Dremel wheel to thin it out a bit.

Last edited by Compressed; 07-01-2015 at 11:54 AM. Reason: edited to create paragraphs to ease its reading for us ol' guys and gals ;
Old 06-29-2015, 08:57 PM

You did quite a job!

Are the roof rails black or chrome? I just learned recently that the cross pieces are available separately. And lots of folks opt for the just the rails.

I did not know that the RPD was an option in '08 and '09.

I like my glove box in the center of the dash. No RPD. But, I could probably get used to the RPD if I had one!
Old 06-30-2015, 12:29 AM
Premium Member

:Welcome to the site...nice job on the gauge. You should come to some of the local g2g's lots of fun owners around here........

How to Upload and Add Pictures to your Post(old) - Chevy HHR Network
Attached Thumbnails 2010 HHR SS Adding turbo gauge to A pillar-img_5033%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 06-30-2015, 12:32 PM

Thanks LT4MAN. It was a lot of fun.

I bought the chrome rails to tie in with all the chrome on the wheels (although I like the black also). Thanks for the info on the cross bars... was not aware they are available.

Here's how the rails look.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:39 PM
Platinum Member

Great thread and details on the installation - nicely done. And thanks for the editing to ease the reading for us old guys!!

I've taken the liberty of moving it to the "How-To" section, and made it a "Sticky".
Old 06-30-2015, 12:53 PM

Thanks whopper. Just uploaded the pictures... if you would like to transfer them over.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:55 PM

Thank you SS FAN for all the help. That is quite a collection of cars you have. I will drop you an email about joining the club.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Compressed
Thanks whopper. Just uploaded the pictures... if you would like to transfer them over.
All tis good - the pics move with the thread - so no problem.

and great pics by the way. Nice and sharp

Yeah SS Fan gets some good groups out there for a Sunday run.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:22 AM

I just found another future mod to do!
These HHR's are so fun to play with!
My wife can't believe I still have it! lol
Why? cause I think the longest I ever kept a car was little over 2 years then I would get board with it and move on to something else. lol
I've had my SS for over 4 years now, and having to much fun with it, to think about trading it in :)
Old 08-11-2015, 06:03 PM

I too have a 2010 SS and found the plug to do this mod. Went to GM Parts Direct and ordered p/n 25799244, this is the price I got, $117.11 with shipping.
Just wanted to help out if anybody else would like to install the A pillar boost guage.

Last edited by Cat Man HHR; 08-12-2015 at 04:25 AM.

Quick Reply: 2010 HHR SS Adding turbo gauge to A pillar