"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Adding radio buttons on steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 05:47 PM
Technical Moderator

Here is one: 2009 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt Steering Wheel Black LKQ | eBay
Old 10-31-2014, 08:57 AM

Great I am looking at the Cobalt Wheel.

Question since my HHR is a 2008 LS without radio buttons the wheel will have the harness and connectors.
There is a plug already underneath my wheel, or do I need to get additional parts?

Thanks
Old 10-31-2014, 11:32 AM

Post Cobalt to HHR steering wheel swap

Back in '12 put on wheel from e-bay, listed as "2008-2009 Cobalt Leather Wheel (leather)", has radio buttons, harness (replaced "cruise only" plastic wheel) on my 2011. has raised buttons. wheel / airbag fit, no problems, plug-n-play, all buttons still work, switches still all light up.

here's part of my post back to when i changed it has some pictures
Originally Posted by JerseyJames
Howdy Folks!
Just swapped my stock 2011 HHR steering wheel for a 2008 Cobalt wheel w/ radio buttons. (Leather,$40.00 OEM surplus on eBay). Since this has been well documented on here, not gonna talk 'bout dat. Some one asked about pictures of the HHR air bag release mechanism, (took a little bit of wiggling myself to get it to pop)Some of the pics good if you'd like to add radio buttons to stock HHR wheel and wish to keep the old harness intact (not PITA, but the wheel's gotta come off!
So decided to operate on the wheel to see what I could see!

this is what you see when the air bag is removed

close up of one of the airbag mounting hole. it is the top hole.

next few pics show a/b plate removed. Don't need to do this, just did it to take pictures

this is the opposite side of the airbag plate, showing the a/b retention springs

closeup of a/b spring.

looking at spring from the "hole in the steering cover" view. can see spring "inside" the plastic loop.

Allen key on spring. this is slightly misleading as the hole in the wheel cover actually directs the key to make contact with the plastic piece first. need to keep pushing till you can slightly raise the air bag, and put something under it to keep it from snapping back into place when you work on the other side.

end view of Allen key & spring. do not pull the end of the key in your hand toward you or it will go under the spring, as shown below.

Allen key engaging the spring looking up from "under" the wheel

Allen key engaging the spring looking down from "top" of the wheel

Allen key on spring with a/b plate mounted in wheel. Notice that the key is guided slightly up. this causes it to hit plastic first before the spring. when looking down in the non-a/b post hole you don't see the key ,as shown in the earlier shot from the other side. push key, lift bag, and you got it!!!

these pics are for getting the stock button harness out without cutting it .

first remove wheel. flip it over, remove (4) phillips head screws. remove wheel cover & see this!

can't get any easier than this, unless you get somebody else to do it!

Go to JerseyJames' Gallery
If you're not sure of what you're looking at, or which ways up ... STOP!! ask a stupid question(s)!!! , They are DEFINITELY easier to handle than STUPID MISTAKES !!!
Hope this helps peeps with steering wheel questions.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:39 AM

OK so I am going to probably purchase this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361081873243?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

A local yard told me that they had a wheel with radio buttons (which it didn't) but while I was waiting I heard the yard person say that he was having a really hard time removing the airbag.

Is there a trick to this?
I have never removed a wheel of any kind so I am hoping to learn before trying this.

Thanks
Old 10-31-2014, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by n0m0n
OK so I am going to probably purchase this one:
2009 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt Steering Wheel Black LKQ | eBay

A local yard told me that they had a wheel with radio buttons (which it didn't) but while I was waiting I heard the yard person say that he was having a really hard time removing the airbag.

Is there a trick to this?
I have never removed a wheel of any kind so I am hoping to learn before trying this.

Thanks
n0m0n, see my edited post above yours. got some pics that may help!
Old 10-31-2014, 12:05 PM

n0m0n, see my edited post above yours. got some pics that may help!
Thanks can I ask what size allen key works best?
I assume if to small it slide beneath to large wont get past the plastic piece.

I am a bit concerned that I could blow the airbag up.

Never tried this but will once I get the steering wheel.

Thanks
Old 10-31-2014, 12:23 PM

I just found a key that fit the hole. most people will recommend disconnecting the battery, Just be aware that the computer systems will need a few drive cycles to "relearn" themselves after an extended battery disconnect. (A battery disconnect is usually done when some things seem to operate a bit "wonky"). if you have a problem posted here that may be "cured" w/ a disconnect (about 30 mins.), someone will recommend doing it.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:55 PM
Technical Moderator

Every one your questions has been asked and answered in the previous 80 pages. Have you considered reading the thread? The purpose of having a thread is so people can find all of the answers in one place, if you continue to inflate the thread more eople will be discouraged from scrolling. I know that I spent some hours reading it before deciding I did not care enough to do the mod.

I even searched eBay for you. You are welcome.

If you are even a tiny bit scared of the airbag, stay away from it and pay a professional.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:20 AM

I just found a key that fit the hole. most people will recommend disconnecting the battery, Just be aware that the computer systems will need a few drive cycles to "relearn" themselves after an extended battery disconnect. (A battery disconnect is usually done when some things seem to operate a bit "wonky"). if you have a problem posted here that may be "cured" w/ a disconnect (about 30 mins.), someone will recommend doing it.
Thanks for the feedbacks the pictures are VERY helpful.
Are you of the opinion that I should disconnect the battery?
I felt like it could cause an issue or 2 if I do.

Again thank you for your input.
I read this thread and there were a lot of conflicting positions throughout it.

All buttons work some don't.
Can get the ab off some, say cant.
Part numbers are right but now they are wrong.
Prices for parts are $xx but they are definitely higher now.

Again I very much appreciate your help.
Thanks
Old 11-01-2014, 11:02 PM
Technical Moderator

I will entertain the thought that you have read this thread, but I don't accept it. I guess that makes me an educated mind.

To summarize the first 800 posts:

This thread was started at least 7 years ago.

Match wire colors, not positions.

To avoid death you MUST disconnect the negative battery cable for at least 15 minutes before you touch any airbag component. If you don't know why, you should not do it yourself.

Prices vary due to supply and demand. They stopped the supply several years ago.

Part numbers change because GM changes vendors periodically. They also change wiring harnesses and connectors on a whim.

The part numbers for the different color bezels are posted, I browbeat somebody into doing it.

There are 2 different button designs, flush and raised. They are interchangeable, personal preference.

Removal of the airbag is covered, or I would not have been able to do it when I did. I think I even posted about it.

All of the various parts from different years will "work", you just need to be inventive. They will all fit, they may not be the color or look or wire positions that you want. It's called customization.
You could even cut out the connectors and splice the wires to the buttons.

If you are not comfortable messing with it, don't touch it. There are chances to really mess things up, or kill yourself.
I understand that there is a Chilton's book available for the HHR, you might consider it. I know that NAPA countermen can access Mitchell, but they don't publicize it.

Quick Reply: Adding radio buttons on steering wheel