General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Brake-light bulb replacement

Old 10-21-2008, 10:51 PM

Brake-light bulb replacement

Any tips on getting that 1" thick piece of foam tucked back in there? Left side close to the sub-woofer. Sub-woofer assembly blocks the right side of the hole. No mention of it in the manual, of course. I have long thin hands and I still can't squeeze it around in there. It probably wouldn't be an issue if i did not have the sub-woofer. I gave up after an hour and just kinda squished it in there to keep it in place. Anyone have a solution???
Old 10-21-2008, 11:34 PM
jx3

Any warranty left? If so, and a dealer is close, the bulb can be replaced under warranty. I had both of the brake lights replaced a week apart from one another. First one was done w/ other items being fixed, the second one was done at an out-of-state dealer while I was on vacation. Was in and out of the service bay in less than 5 minutes.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:38 AM

Brake light bulb replacement

Out of basic warranty, extended doesn't cover that stuff. Thanks
Old 10-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Founding Member

You remove the access panel by the lamp assembly. Small panel that is square at the bottom, arched at the top. Use a flat head screw driver to pop it open and stick your hand in and remove the socket. If you can see the amp you took the wrong panel off. The access is about 2 inches from the liftgate opening.

Number 2 in the pic is the access hole:

Name:  1606601.jpg
Views: 4206
Size:  29.1 KB
Old 10-28-2008, 12:03 PM

Bulb replacement

Thanks, I got the right access panel. There is also a piece of "sound deadening foam" between the socket and the access panel. Once removed easy to get to the socket. I'm having trouble getting that foam back in. There ia a large wire loom that passes in front of the hole. That foam was between the loom and the access hole in the body. I'm some what anal about putting things back the way they came apart when working on my cars. I don't want to force it for fear of pulling something loose. I have one of the first , build date in 2005. Maybe the newer ones do not have this foam in them? I got it back in there, just not exactly the way it came out. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:04 PM

Talking tried this quick fix....

Originally Posted by onlyron
Any tips on getting that 1" thick piece of foam tucked back in there? Left side close to the sub-woofer. Sub-woofer assembly blocks the right side of the hole. No mention of it in the manual, of course. I have long thin hands and I still can't squeeze it around in there. It probably wouldn't be an issue if i did not have the sub-woofer. I gave up after an hour and just kinda squished it in there to keep it in place. Anyone have a solution???
**** this is my 1st time looking at this site and i need to change my brake light.... this do it your self saved me $60 & it was easy to do....
Old 08-07-2009, 11:05 PM

Replace Rear Light Bulbs

Originally Posted by acablexi
**** this is my 1st time looking at this site and i need to change my brake light.... this do it your self saved me $60 & it was easy to do....
In the event you do not have an Owners Manual -

Old 09-10-2009, 01:38 PM

I've got the foam block inside of that door as well. Other than taking the whole inside trim panel off for better access, about the only way to get the foam back in there is to just stuff it in as best you can. Someone at the assembly plant put a bundle of wires in the way on mine. So I had to remove the whole inside panel because I couldn't even get the foam out past the wires without doing so. I'm switching to LED's as soon as I can find some that are proven reliable. That way I shouldn't have to mess with the tail lights for a long time.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:30 PM

I had the same issue with mine.....If I remember correctly I had to cut a slot to drop the wires into.....
Old 11-14-2013, 12:55 PM

We have a 2010 HHR LT and it appears Chevy addressed this problem by gluing the insulation to the little panel you remove to access the light sockets. We replaced our 3057 bulb with very little trouble: just removed the panel, unscrewed the light socket, pulled out old bulb, pressed in new bulb, screwed light socket back in, snapped access panel back on, done. SO glad Chevy took the hassle out in later models!