"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement (w. pics) - P0010/11 P0013/14

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 11:17 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Billy43
Thanks for the response and i did read the thread and will read again to see if i missed, how to or if possible to test if a solenoid is good or bad. AGAIN thanks for your response.
You can throw an ohmmeter on it to check if it has an open circuit, or is out of specs (I think 12 ohms is what it is supposed to be??).

However it can be within specs, but still be inoperative, or intermittently good, due to other factors (ie: being contaminated).

Rather than sweat over it - just replace it - it's not expensive, and is easy to replace.

PS: and you still did not indicate what engine you have????? 4 cyl in a Captiva means nothing in this forum, unless you expect us to go and do a search for the info you should be supplying

Last edited by whopper; 05-04-2015 at 02:03 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:46 PM

WHOPPER...Thanks, once again. I needed to return to your technical update to replace the exhaust solenoid on my wife`s 2008 HHR LT. Took me half the time as before and was successful. We now live in NH and we have vehicle inspections here. (Did not have the requirement in FL.) The inspection technician told me that after completion of the installation of the new solenoids, we must run the vehicle for 20 minutes and then let it go through a cool down cycle. Then a cold start. If not, the inspection computers, tied to DMV of NH, would fail immediately. The service engine light went away after installation and I will take the advice of the technician and follow his instructions. Make sense to you? Let me know if you have more to add. Thanks again, WHOPPER!
Old 06-10-2015, 03:52 PM
Technical Moderator

If you disconnected the battery or used a scanner to clear the code it is going to take a lot more than that to get the I/M monitors to run. Mine takes at least 1 to run the O2 heater. At least one more to run the O2 sensor. Then, after they run, usually a full drive cycle for the catalyst monitor. Then 17 cold starts and cool downs on 3/4 tank of gas for the EVAP.

Depends on what he meant.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member

jspocala - glad it worked out for you again. See practice makes perfect!!! LOL - Good job. your wife owes you once again.

I'm not up on the run cycle stuff - Don is probably pointing you in the right direction.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:12 AM

Just Finished Up!!

Thanks for the awesome instructions. I ordered my parts from RockAuto and they were the Dorman parts as specified. Also, you may wish to update the original post as a lot of the auto part dealers referred to them as " "Variable Timing Solenoid", as this might help someone who can't find the parts using the part numbers listed above (however once I located the parts I was able to cross reference them with this write up, which helps a novice such as myself to ensure we're purchasing the right part(s).

The only issue I had was the new bolt that came with the exhaust solenoid felt like it was going to strip out the hole. So I used the old bolt, and it seated perfectly!

The whole compressed can of air is a def. need when doing this repair, due to all the debris sitting on the top of the engine.

Once again, thanks for the awesome instructions!!! I was done in an hour (I know you said 45 MAX., but I had to run to the store to get a can of compressed air :-) )

Last edited by willbratz; 06-20-2015 at 10:27 AM. Reason: originally posted usin iphone 6plus
Old 06-20-2015, 12:00 PM
Platinum Member

Glad it worked out for you - yeah cleaning the area around the solenoid is a definite must. I used a can of compressed air as well (step 8 in the procedure) which I always have handy for cleaning computers.

"Variable Timing Solenoid" is not quite the GM term but is a reasonable description of the part for sure. It's kinda hard giving a definitive description of the part, when we have had quite a few auto parts stores, as well as a few members, having issues confusing the term "solenoid" with "sensor" - resulting in unnecessary replacement of the sensors. So we do what we can. :)

I'll see where I can insert a reference to "Variable Timing Solenoid" - it just may help someone out.

Thanks for the post - it's always good to hear a success story.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:48 PM
Technical Moderator

I think it's actually Variable Valve Timing Solenoid or Valve, VVT valve.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:35 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah - lots of variations on it. When I see VVT I think of Honda, but pretty much everyone has gone to the design now.

I've run out of space on the original post so will let it stand as it is.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:01 PM

Are the part numbers the same for the 2009 HHR
Old 06-26-2015, 07:58 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by alanie7
Are the part numbers the same for the 2009 HHR
All HHR years and all engines that have VVT use the same solenoids. I am pretty sure that is buried somewhere in the previous 54 pages in this thread.

Quick Reply: Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement (w. pics) - P0010/11 P0013/14