"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

DIY Roof Rack Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 03:09 PM
Premium Member

I would like to remove mine, they are a pain to detail around.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:59 AM

GM part # 15276962 (Left Chrome Rear Covers of the Roof Rack) what the parts# for the black? and any one know where I get it?

Old 03-16-2014, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by khalifa
GM part # 15276962 (Left Chrome Rear Covers of the Roof Rack) what the parts# for the black? and any one know where I get it?

Have you tried www.gmpartsdirect.com
Old 03-16-2014, 01:33 PM
Technical Moderator

Or, a telephone call to your local dealer parts department?

My guess is that it comes as a part of the rail only.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:23 PM

DYI Roof Rack Install

Originally Posted by R60us
Step Seven
Clean the area
Clean up all your metal shavings. Vacuum and wipe the area clean. Also, look at the holes you just made and make sure you clean up any burrs left by the drilling process.

Step Eight

Use touch up paint to protect the exposed metal.

Here comes my favorite part...Drink a beer (or soda) and let the paint dry…

Step Nine
Install the riv nuts
Prior to installing the riv nuts lubricate the nut and the tool with GM Super Lube part number 12371287 with PTFE per the supplied directions (I used Super Lube Synthetic grease with PTFE).
Use the riv nut tool provided to install the nuts. Use your 13mm wrench to hold the tool/nut in place. Use your torque wrench with 8mm socket to set them. Your torque wrench should be set at 75in-lbs (8.5N-m) XXX Inch pounds NOT foot Pounds XXX

Step Ten
Install the rails
Set the rails in place making sure to verify placement (LH front and RH front) the rails are marked near the end caps on the plastic.

Step Eleven
Snap the end caps in place and admire your nice work!

Please let me know if this is helpful! Sorry for the blury images, I am not sure what happened...
This is a god send post, thank you for taking the time and effort involved to give me the tools to handle this job! It is much appreciated. Cathy
Old 06-01-2014, 03:56 PM

I finished mine with few problems. There are minor discrepancies between the template positioning and the recommended distance from hole to hole. I kind of split the difference and it worked out okay. If I was using the factory crossbars, I would put the rack together first and then set it in place to get the distance from hole to hole perfect.

I didn't use a center punch, just drilled a tiny hole through the template. Then I pushed a wire through the hole to make sure there was enough clearance for the rivnut. The only issue was on the rear driver's side. There was enough clearance for the rivnut but not for the tool. Spacers were required on the tool. I used a couple of small box end wrenches.

I didn't use drill stops, just wrapped a wad of electrical tape around the drill bit. Less likely to scratch the roof and there's always electrical tape kicking around. I didn't use Superlube either. Not required; just a ploy by GM to sell overpriced grease.

My only real issue wasn't with GM but with the Thule cross bars. The locks don't go in according to the instructions. Very disappointing for overpriced metal and rubber. That's a struggle I will leave for another day.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:27 AM

Anyone know the specs on the rivnuts? And where to buy them? I've got the rails, bolts, templates and rivnut tool -- just not the rivnuts themselves. Never worked with them before so I want to be sure I have the right ones. (Not worried about doing the work; just want the right parts to do it.)
Old 05-04-2015, 11:01 PM

Do you have a video on this installation I ordered the gym installation kit because I ready have the rails just not sure what it is I need in the kit to install both rails or you can call me (phone number deleted) thank you

Last edited by donbrew; 03-14-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:36 AM

R60us hasn't been here in 2 1/2 years. Do you really think it's a good idea to use your email as a screen name? And posting your phone number is......
Old 03-14-2018, 11:54 AM

Anyone know where the hell to find the nutserts? These aren't your typical M6 screws, the threads are much tighter, and won't work with your run-of-the-mill m6 nutserts. I'm looking everywhere for M6 with 1mm thread pitch and I can't find them any where.

Quick Reply: DIY Roof Rack Install