"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Fixed my water leak, last night!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Aubie98
My 2007 LT1 just developed this nagging issue. Just my luck it started 7 years into owning it. It was built in August of 2006 and with the glove box and passenger carpet it definitely appears to be the supposed "cowl" failing under the wipers. Just my luck too as I am trying to sell this car.
Hi Aubie98,

We're sorry to hear of this concern. Please let us know if you would like any extra assistance, or would like for us to reach out to your dealership on your behalf for this concern. Feel free to send us a PM with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and the name of your dealership if any help is needed. Take care!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-15-2014, 10:06 PM

Had that problem a year ago. I removed the rubber cover from the opening and traced it onto a piece of tin, cut the tin out and attached it in place of the rubber patch and then used a sealant and have never had the problem until now. Today I took my air compressor and blew air into the drain tube and tons of water came out. Hope that fixes the problem.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:57 PM

I have a 2006 HHR LT with a water issue, thought it was the patch, replaced. When it rains water comes in around the door, comes out the air bag hole, drips from the sunroof buttons, and a couple places around the windshield. I would like to talk to a GM rep on this issue as I'm sure I am not the only one. I have a 95 Rodeo that doesn't have all of the issues that this 2006 lemon has. Jeez..this vehicle will rust out before its time from the inside out. sheesh. If anyone has a fix please let me know.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:38 PM
Platinum Member

You have been dealing with a water leak issue for a year now according to your other posts? Check the antennae mount on the front center of the roof for leaking - and as you have a sun roof, that needs to checked - including the drain from the sunroof that gets clogged from time to time (as several people have made mention of).
Old 06-27-2014, 10:53 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by HHRUNNR
I have a 2006 HHR LT with a water issue, thought it was the patch, replaced. When it rains water comes in around the door, comes out the air bag hole, drips from the sunroof buttons, and a couple places around the windshield. I would like to talk to a GM rep on this issue as I'm sure I am not the only one. I have a 95 Rodeo that doesn't have all of the issues that this 2006 lemon has. Jeez..this vehicle will rust out before its time from the inside out. sheesh. If anyone has a fix please let me know.
Why would the cowl patch have anything to do with "around the door, comes out the air bag hole, drips from the sunroof buttons, and a couple places around the windshield" ?????

Has the windshield ever been replaced, maybe "installer error"?

What airbag hole are you talking about? If you are talking about the side curtain airbag plugs, I am forced to call a BS since they were not installed in 2006 models. There is no direct connection from the outside to the dashboard airbag or the steering wheel airbag.

If you want to talk to a GM rep you could look in the back of your Owner Manual and get the phone number, or go to a GM service department. This site has NO official tie to GM.

You do seem to be the only one to think that water will flow 2 feet uphill in defiance of gravity. You could use it to make Zero Gravity lemonade.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:58 PM

dont think I could do this... my car has been leaking also... I dont even have the tools to try... and no I know no one to ask. it also leaks on the door panel passenger side where the seatbelts are between those panel seams front and back..... guess t will stay that way.. sigh...
Old 10-14-2014, 02:02 PM

I said on 03-07-2014 that there was only one way for water to flood the HVAC system. I want to correct that now: the HVAC system can also get flooded from a clogged AC condensate drain. If so, it will soak the pass-side carpet and look an awful lot like a windshield leak, or water ingress from the cowl because of a leaky butyl patch, or water ingress from the cowl because of clogged cowl drains. Ref. my 8-10-2014 post in "water in the floor board passenger side."
Old 10-14-2014, 02:06 PM

Bahbushkah, cool name! It sounds as if you should take your car to a shop.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:40 AM

Thanks to Tooter1 for posting this with the great pics. It's a problem I never could have imagined. The old GM's of 50 years ago seem to have been much better built. But thanks for the great post with pics so i can avoid the "stealership" and do the job at home.
Appreciate it!!
Old 04-10-2015, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by sunbound
Thank you VARY much! now my motor works properly... I just hope the rubber thing hold out... it was barely big enough to cover the big gaping hole under it... and it looks like it was starting to crack in places... Is there anything special about this piece of rubber, or can i just replace it with a piece of rubber from an inner tube?
Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a roll of the sealing tape that they use to seal new windows in a house, it works great! It cost about $18 but your problems will be over in about 30 minutes.

Quick Reply: Fixed my water leak, last night!!