"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Fixing broken door handles on HHR

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 05:24 PM

Thumbs up Replaced by dealer part covered as Warranty

After looking at the video for the after market solution, I was tempted to go that route except I don't have anyplace where I can support the panel well enough to drill out the plastic welds that hold the mechanism to the panel. So I called my dealer and made an appointment -- they had to order the $300+ part. They have always treated me well and I did not gripe at them at all, just said I needed to get it fixed because what if it pulls a Cruze and the engine catches fire, I need to get out.

I also found the GM Customer Service web site and entered a gripe in which I stated that I considered it to be a safety problem and that I couldn't believe that it was not only made of cheap molded plastic but that it was going to cost hundreds of dollars to repair. Got a bunch of calls from GM Customer service and eventually talked to someone and told them that I had lost all faith in GM's ability to manufacture quality vehicles.

Took the car in today. The receipt lists the part with the word "Warranty" next to it. I paid for the labor to replace it. I do not think that the GM people had anything to do with it because I learned that the dealer was taking care of it before the GM people contacted them.

So it's a semi-happy ending for me. I just have to remember to never use more than one or two fingers when I touch the latch handle on the inside.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:09 PM

My passenger interior door handle just broke tonight, looks like I will be forking out the $70 to get the Dorman handle. Thank goodness for having an awesome car guy that can install it for me, while I pretend to learn by watching. Hopefully the Dorman part will be a little stronger than the GM part.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:20 PM

going the dorman route myself on my 2006's front driver door handle...already pulled the door panel...not too difficult......waiting for the parts house to get the delivery........
Old 09-27-2013, 05:50 PM

Im waiting on mine aswell I just pulled the one from the rear door to put in front.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:03 PM

wrapped up the job this morning...the dorman kit worked fine. only glitch was drilling out the old factory rivets that held the handle in. had a little trouble finding, and opening up, the center holes for the screws. not a big deal, though. gotta get all the loose plastic off of the pegs...either way, everythings back together and you'd never know there was any problem or that the panel was ever off.......
Old 10-10-2013, 12:34 PM

how about coming to red oak tx to fix one. my wifes handle broke a while back and now has needlenose visegrips on it
Old 10-23-2013, 07:51 PM

FYI I have an '06 and the front driver handle broke - I removed the door panel, glued the pieces together with epoxy, then reinforced with a piece of zap strap screwed in to the plastic with small screws. Has held strong for 2+ years now.