"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

How to add GM Remote Start without option AP3

Old 03-12-2010, 02:49 PM

How to add GM Remote Start without option AP3

I have been trying to get my 08 lt that was a previous rental to auto start. I had the correct fob programed but I only got flashing lights. I was told to ground The purple wire at pin 3 of the BCM. That would tell the BCM that the hood was closed as it does not have a switch. And therefore Chevy said it didn't have an auto start. No AP3 code. Which only meant it didn't have a hood switch. If you are in the same situation just Do the ground as above. It started right up and works fine.

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 03-12-2010 at 03:55 PM. Reason: changed title
Old 03-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Founding Member

Nice work agrandad.

I was wondering when someone would do this. I think member Sno White suggested this a few months back. Seemed like a simple and sensible solution that no one had suggested before.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:39 PM

Just so others can get this straight I would like to summarize what is involved:

First, you need a prior “Rental” or “Fleet” vehicle – these vehicles may not come from the factory with the Remote Start feature. It seems what these vehicles do not come with is the required hood closed/ajar switch and associated wiring harness.

Second, acquire the correct FOB(s) with Remote Start button for the vehicle. Either from a dealer or the web. If you already have a FOB that lock/unlocks the doors using the factory system I believe you are set and will only have to do step four.

Third, have a dealer or well equipped locksmith program the FOB(s) to the vehicle. Most likely this is the most expensive part of this procedure. Perhaps if you purchased the FOB(s) at the dealer they might do the programming at a lesser cost?

Fourth, in a 2008 or prior vehicle ground the “Purple” wire on Pin 3 of the lower front connector on the BCM. This fakes the vehicle into believing the hood is closed! Of course you could get that required hood closed/ajar switch and associated wiring harness mentioned in step one instead of Grounding Pin 3.

Success! You can now use your FOB to Remote Start your vehicle.

I am only guessing that GM feels the need to have the hood closed is a safety issue protecting mechanics while working on your vehicle. This could be an ill-natured joke watching someone work on your vehicle under the hood and then starting your vehicle with the FOB from around the corner. DO NOT DO THIS. You will not be welcomed back and may end up in your local legal system.

At this time, March of 2009, I presume there are no 2009s coming off of rental duty yet. Time will tell if this works on the 2009 and subsequent vehicles.

Post up if you have a different experience.

Also, are there any FOB differences between years?
My 2009 FOB has the part number – 15114374.
From post #4 below it appears the 2007 is the same.

Last edited by Sno White; 03-15-2010 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Edits in RED
Old 03-13-2010, 01:58 PM

That's the same number my 2007 fob has.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:12 PM

So just snip the wire and ground or remove it from the connector, then ground?
Old 03-13-2010, 03:56 PM

do you think this would work on a manual SS. I want to add a remote start
Old 03-13-2010, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by txbass06
So just snip the wire and ground or remove it from the connector, then ground?
The idea is to supply a Ground to the BCM, not the wire that goes to the engine compartment. Just tap into the wire and ground it, cutting wires is not neccessary.

I prefer this TAP:
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...6EVs6E666666--
as it is totally insulated and non-distructive. The Red #951 for 18 - 22 AWG wire is the correct size. I find them at my local auto parts store. Alarm install places use them as well.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by ballplr
do you think this would work on a manual SS. I want to add a remote start
No idea.
I do not know if there is a "neutral" detect switch in the 5-Speed or if the BCM is different from the Auto Transmission BCM.

?Do you have an option on your DIC to turn Remote Start ON and OFF?
I would start there, if not present I would think GM had engineered the feature out of the BCM. This IMHO would make the work much too difficult to overcome and I would look to an aftermarket unit.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:19 PM

Don't snip. Just shave off the covering and attach a wire and ground it. It works easily.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:41 AM

Gotcha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to add GM Remote Start without option AP3