"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

How to add GM Remote Start without option AP3

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 02:33 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by OKDon
2008 HHR LS...former rental vehicle. I found the purple wire in position 3 below the BCM...tapped into that and grounded it. Before doing that checked the DIC and made sure remote start is enabled. There is a switch under the hood but it only has 2 wires to it so I didn't think it was a hood ajar switch.
The hood ajar switch would be a part of the latch. Are you pushing lock TWICE then start?
Old 07-28-2014, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The hood ajar switch would be a part of the latch. Are you pushing lock TWICE then start?
Tried pushing lock twice and then start...tried pushing lock and panic...neither one is working for me.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:16 PM
Technical Moderator

Recheck your ground point. It was a long time ago that I did it and really don't feel like going back. Make sure you have the correct wire, make sure RS is turned on, make sure good connections. You must always press lock TWICE, check your brake lights. That's about all the help I can offer.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Recheck your ground point. It was a long time ago that I did it and really don't feel like going back. Make sure you have the correct wire, make sure RS is turned on, make sure good connections. You must always press lock TWICE, check your brake lights. That's about all the help I can offer.
I'll check everything after work. Thanks for all of you help.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:43 PM

Yup, it has been a while since I have visited this issue as well.

Remote Start in the DIC is turned on - that's good as it proves you do have the BCM programming for this to work.

The "Hood Ajar" switch is only a two wire unit for vehicles that did not come factory equipped with Remote Start. As previously stated it is part of the hood latch. A third wire was added for extra safety or to keep the Remote Start feature circuitry separate from the rest of the vehicle electronics. So the two-wire hood switch/latch means you do not have the factory correct wiring harness - that is fine, that is what the purple wire grounding takes care of.

Make sure you do have the proper purple wire from the proper connector grounded.

Make sure you do have a good "Ground". These vehicles do have a lot of plastic with very little integral metal. Test the ground.

Finally - Do you press and H-O-L-D the remote start button? A simple press does not work. Or if you don't have the correct FOB, are you holding the two other buttons down? You will have to read through this thread for the identity of those buttons.

Plus, just when does the light on the dash start flashing? When you use the LOCK function or when you press the Remote Start button?
Old 07-28-2014, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sno White
Yup, it has been a while since I have visited this issue as well.

Remote Start in the DIC is turned on - that's good as it proves you do have the BCM programming for this to work.

The "Hood Ajar" switch is only a two wire unit for vehicles that did not come factory equipped with Remote Start. As previously stated it is part of the hood latch. A third wire was added for extra safety or to keep the Remote Start feature circuitry separate from the rest of the vehicle electronics. So the two-wire hood switch/latch means you do not have the factory correct wiring harness - that is fine, that is what the purple wire grounding takes care of.

Make sure you do have the proper purple wire from the proper connector grounded.

Make sure you do have a good "Ground". These vehicles do have a lot of plastic with very little integral metal. Test the ground.

Finally - Do you press and H-O-L-D the remote start button? A simple press does not work. Or if you don't have the correct FOB, are you holding the two other buttons down? You will have to read through this thread for the identity of those buttons.

Plus, just when does the light on the dash start flashing? When you use the LOCK function or when you press the Remote Start button?
I rechecked to make sure I tapped into the correct wire...re-did the ground to a spot I'm sure is correct. I still don't have remote start so I may just give up on it. You said to check for a light on the dash to flash...I have seen the parking lamps flash but have not checked on the dash...when trying it I press and hold the start button. I see the security light flash on the dash. When I press and hold the remote start button I hear a click under the hood and that is all...thanks to all of the folks here for the suggestions but I think it may be time to quit beating a dead horse.

Last edited by OKDon; 07-29-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:55 PM
Technical Moderator

Did you check your brake lights? If the car senses anything wrong it will not start.

I don't think the security light is supposed to flash.

The 2-wire thingamajig you see is most likely the crash sensor.

The ajar switch has a cable that attaches to the radiator upper shroud the leads directly to the latch mechanism. If your shroud has a 3/16" hole on the top driver side that you always wondered WTHIT, it is the mounting hole for the cable.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:55 AM

Just found this thread.I have an '08 rental with the correct fob and the DiC has the on/off function. So I am going to try this tomorrow. If it works I going kick myself in the A$$ for not doing this sooner
Old 12-01-2014, 07:48 PM

Holy crap it worked
Old 12-02-2014, 03:23 AM

very cool

Quick Reply: How to add GM Remote Start without option AP3