"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

How to add GM Remote Start without option AP3

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 05:53 PM
MB1

Originally Posted by Sno White
If you already have a FOB that lock/unlocks the doors using the factory system I believe you are set.

Third, have a dealer program the FOB(s) to the vehicle.

At this time, March of 2009, I presume there are no 2009s coming off of rental duty yet. Time will tell if this works on the 2009 and subsequent vehicles.

Also, are there any FOB differences between years?
My 2009 FOB has the part number – 15114374.
FOB part # 15777636 has no start function, unless there is a blanked off switch inside.
It works for different years and models of GM vehicles.

Local dealers wanted too much to program new FOB, locksmith did it for $40.
(I needed 2nd FOB for wife, bought exactly what came with MB.)

I purchased my fleet 2009 LT 4 weeks ago without remote start. only one key and FOB.

Found this forum after I went through this, had I read this first I may have chanced buying a remote start FOB and giving it a try.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:56 PM

So is there any way to tell if my '09 LT, went into service in 7-08, formally a Enterprise owned car, has the remote start feature? My FOB does not have the remote start button.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:15 AM

Wonder if this would work on any other GM vehicles. I've got a buddy with an '08 H3 that wants remote start
Old 03-27-2010, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sno White

?Do you have an option on your DIC to turn Remote Start ON and OFF?
I would start there, if not present I would think GM had engineered the feature out of the BCM. This IMHO would make the work much too difficult to overcome and I would look to an aftermarket unit.
I have a previous rental, but it does not have the "Remote" in the DIC information. I'm guessing that means it won't work for my HHR? I did get a couple of Remote Start Fobs, but am having trouble finding any place to program them. Everybody keeps saying "don't waste your money", they won't work with your car. So.......if they won't work.......................I have a pair of remote start fobs for sale. $25 each.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by tcstoy
I have a previous rental, but it does not have the "Remote" in the DIC information. I'm guessing that means it won't work for my HHR? I did get a couple of Remote Start Fobs, but am having trouble finding any place to program them. Everybody keeps saying "don't waste your money", they won't work with your car. So.......if they won't work.......................I have a pair of remote start fobs for sale. $25 each.
When you go into programming mode i.e. pressing both "info" and return at the same time scrolling thru the menu should reveal "remote start" options, does on my 2008 without remote start.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:22 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by pstar
So is there any way to tell if my '09 LT, went into service in 7-08, formally a Enterprise owned car, has the remote start feature? My FOB does not have the remote start button.
Look on the glove box door for AP3 that would mean shipped with remote start.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:26 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by MB1
FOB part # 15777636 has no start function, unless there is a blanked off switch inside.
It works for different years and models of GM vehicles.

Local dealers wanted too much to program new FOB, locksmith did it for $40.
(I needed 2nd FOB for wife, bought exactly what came with MB.)

I purchased my fleet 2009 LT 4 weeks ago without remote start. only one key and FOB.

Found this forum after I went through this, had I read this first I may have chanced buying a remote start FOB and giving it a try.
You might be able to bully the dealer into giving you a remote and programming it for you. If you have AP3 on the glove box door the sales weasels should not even argue.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:47 PM

Angry

Originally Posted by donbrew
When you go into programming mode i.e. pressing both "info" and return at the same time scrolling thru the menu should reveal "remote start" options, does on my 2008 without remote start.

Doesn't on my 06. Dealer told me that with Fleet and Rentals in 06, this function was removed from the BCM. Would cost $60 just for program from GM, then the cost to install the program and the cost to code the remotes to my HHR. Getting to be more trouble than it is worth. Trying to get some answers from other sources, but still waiting. Bottom line........ I have 2 remotes (#15114374) I probably won't need.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:54 AM

99% of the Rental HHRs I have driven come with a FOB (not always the remote start). If you purchase a Rental without a FOB ask where it is. I have looked through the rentals and have found keys and FOBs in a zip bag in the storage area in the back.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:13 PM

i want to do this, but i dont even know where to start

could someone point me in the right direction?

what i mean by that, is show me exactly what to do and where the BCM is please

i have an 08, i have the proper fob, i have the remote start option 'on' in the dashboard, and all i get is flashing lights

i think this mod will work for me

Quick Reply: How to add GM Remote Start without option AP3