"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

How to install drop Springs...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 11:56 PM

How to install drop Springs...

Not sure about a repost on this but it was written by my friend Chris when we dropped his Cobalt. The pics and everything say Cobalt but is IDENTICAL to the HHR!!!! I repeat IDENTICAL!!! (except the rear disk brakes)

Original Thread

Lets get to it!!!

-Block the front wheels and jack up the rear of the car. Support it with Jack-Stands.
-SUPPORT (don't raise it up) the rear axel with the jack.
- Remove the lower bolt holding the rear strut on. This one...

-Lower the rear axel slowly
-All you need to do to remove the rear springs is pull them out, they are NOT bolted in anywhere.

They will look like this... Assebled on the left, disassembled on the right.

-Pull out the Bump Stops (cut if desired), and reinstall the bump stops on your new springs.
- Re-install the assembled springs in your car and use the jack to raise it up and line up the lower strut bolt.

-Replace wheels, lower car, remove blocks under front wheels, and release E-brake (this is when you will see the full drop since the E-Brake will keep the rear tires locked).

Now the front!!
-Block the back wheels!!!!! & use E-brake. Jack up front of car and Support with Jack stands.
-Remove wheels
-Remove this bolt...

-Take out the 2 bolts holding the lower part of the front strut on...

-Have someone support the strut while you remove these bolts...

This is the assembly you should pull out. (Compared to new spring)

-Use Spring Compressors (avalible at any auto parts store) to compress the springs...

-Once they are compressed enough. remove this bolt on the top (easiest done with an impact gun...

-Pull the top plates off...

-If you want to cut the bump stop (recomended), it is located in the dust cover. Just push it out and cut it... (here we only cut the bottom "nub" off you can cut up to 2 "nubs" if you want)

-Put the Spring compressors on the new springs and put it all back together...

-Re-install everything!!!
-Remove blocks from back wheels and E-brake.

Huge THANKS GOES OUT TO JASON (en0onmai)

and RICHIE(SSfamilywagon)!!!

You guys are the ****!! Thank you for all the help fellas.
CIAZ Tuscon Division FTMFW!!!!!

Also, Thanks to Cobalt-Addiction for these Kick-ass springs!!!

I really like these and would recomend them to any one who wants a lower, daily driver. Big bumps suck at low speeds, but once you get on the freeway above 60mph it handles AWSOME, and I really think the ride is BETTER that stock. Corners REALLY sweet.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:07 AM

Jason
Outstanding Step by Step, Are these guys your friends, They are a great group of guys, Great Photos Step by Step.

Rudy
Old 03-16-2007, 12:11 AM

Yeah. This is our Tucson Cobalt/Ion group. The guy that did the write up and pics is Chris. He is in Phoenix and drove 100 miles one way just for us to lower his car. We are always up for helping anyone with anything they might want done. From an injector swap to lowering to a GM Stage kit for the SS/SC cars. We are doing something to someone's car almost every weekend.

BTW, I removed the vinyl from my headlights in "light" of a new project we have started. This one will be interesting. Only hint I can give is "retro fit." Will have pics once completed you can bet your sweet tuckus-es!
Old 03-16-2007, 12:51 AM
Founding Member

Then go out and buy a low profile jack! You'll need it at tire rotation time!

Great how to!
Old 03-16-2007, 01:06 AM

Great point Sindy! Actually the floor jacks we have are all "low rider" style. LOL Lucky for us we all have lowered vehicles here!

And thanks for the Kudos!
Old 03-16-2007, 09:19 AM

Excellent how to
Old 03-16-2007, 11:09 AM

How about alighnments? Will anything need to be done after installing the springs?
Old 03-16-2007, 11:12 AM

One more question. The job doesn"t look real hard but if I were to pay a shop to do it what labor charge should I expect
Old 03-16-2007, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by viknguy
How about alighnments? Will anything need to be done after installing the springs?
Two things:

The toe will be out. Get that reset.

Recheck headlight alignment. It could well be off. (See Owner's Manual for how to.)
Old 03-16-2007, 12:45 PM

I have never had an alignment done on the HHR and used the Gold Lines to drop it. With the 20's and the drop my wheel is straight and it handles fine. Headlights are great too!

Quick Reply: How to install drop Springs...