"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

How to fix broken interior door handle for less than $10

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 06:02 AM

Thanks for the help, were gonna give it a try
Old 10-08-2014, 07:07 AM

Exclamation Hhr door handle recall

please submit a NHTSA Safety complaint under "other" while we are on their radar;

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

use our link in
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/how-fix-broken-interior-door-handle-less-than-$10-41305/

Last edited by whopper; 10-08-2014 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Link does not work.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:44 AM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by xmil
please submit a NHTSA Safety complaint under "other" while we are on their radar;

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

use our link in
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/how-fix-broken-interior-door-handle-less-than-$10-41305/
Huh? Why? What's your point? What's your agenda?

Last edited by whopper; 10-08-2014 at 10:40 AM. Reason: link does not work anyways, so edited it out.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:59 AM
LEN

anyone know how to take the left front inside door panel off, so i can replace the door handle on my 2011 hhr? thanks in advance. LEN
Old 10-26-2014, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by LEN
anyone know how to take the left front inside door panel off, so i can replace the door handle on my 2011 hhr? thanks in advance. LEN
No, not off the top of my head - but just use the SEARCH tool at the top of the page and look for "door panel removal" - it is a well covered procedure, with lots of tips and hints.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:09 AM

Amazing

I had the same problem with the door handle breaking off last summer and used the JB Weld to fix it (I swear that my wife broke the handle, not me). It has been six months and all is still good. Before the fix I was starting to get very tired of having to roll down the window from the inside to open the door with the outside handle.

The only irritating thing about the fix was having to hold the two parts of the handle together while the JB Weld set enough to hold it together on its own. The stuff is slippery at first and I had to hold it at least 3 shaky minutes before it would set. I would recommend using a vice and a clamp to hold it in place.

However, it was really nice for a change to fix something for under $10!
Old 01-19-2015, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Doctuh
If installed, it would be a reasonable charge at dealer labor rates for a Dorman kit. Dorman came up with an aftermarket solution for the broken handle. Chevrolet only sells it as a part of the entire door panel.
January 2015
Our driver's door handle broke as my daughter was getting out of the car today. I have never seen ANYONE pull on this to close the door. Maybe a tug when opening in wind. Today there is next to now wind.

It broke off smooth and flush so I don't think JB will work in this situation without splinting it somehow. Anyway, it will cost $125 at the local body shop to have it fixed right.

I will say that it was just paid off. Classic items mentioned on the board started breaking a few months before that happened. Murphy (Automotive Division) is clearly hard at work.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

My drivers door handle cracked, but I caught it before it totally broke. I did the JB weld fix, but swapped the drivers front with the drivers rear handle - putting the repaired one in the rear door.

We were careful with it too, making sure we didn't pull the door closed with it - but my theory (and oh lardy I may be wrong) is that if one lets the handle snap closed back against it's stop it may be putting some stress on it. So I put a small piece of rubber to absorb the shock.

It's a pretty easy job to do in the driveway as long as one does not let the battery wear down too far making for an interesting restart later. :)
Old 02-16-2015, 06:24 AM

I too had to replace the inside door handle. I used the doorman kit and was an easy fix that lasted. Works good and lasts long time.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Sanasac
I too had to replace the inside door handle. I used the doorman kit and was an easy fix that lasted. Works good and lasts long time.
i, too, did the dorman kit fix on my drivers door handle bout 2 years ago on my 2006 HHR...............been fine ever since. did save the old handle and did the JB WELD fix to that one just in case i need another replacement....

Quick Reply: How to fix broken interior door handle for less than $10