"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

How to: Manual Liftgate Release

Old 06-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member

How to: Manual Liftgate Release

Many people have suggested that the Manual Liftgate Release, that is described and illustrated by GM in the HHR Owners Manual, is inaccurate/non existant.

I designed this "How-To" to assist that illustration.

For clarity purposes I performed my "steps" with the liftgate open...this is contrary to the Owners Book.

Once the "gate" is open, the next task is to remove the plastic cover plate on the rear lift trim panel. It is easily identified, as there is only one cover plate that can be removed.

Now, the next part is contradictory to the Owners Manual because the gate is open for this application.
The liftgate black plastic "hook" latch is open. Remember the ELECTRIC operation of the latch ONLY works to OPEN the gate.

The black plastic latch needs to be pushed or turned to the lock position.

Now with your back to the interior of the car, insert a 6 inch or longer thin screwdriver or other such item into the opening of the door panel. The location is specific and must be exactly located. It should be at the bottom of the plastic trim panel at a slight angle to the bottom of the gate and to the right of the BLACK METAL LOCK MECHANISM. Final location is between the lock mechanism and the metal retaining bracket. Page 2-15 of the Owners Manual gives a decent, but incomplete illustration. The GM Tech Link propvided by Dave C, in a thread dedicated to this problem, gives a better photo of the lock and the location of the release..

NOTE....The inner gray/blue object, in this photo, is the retainer bracket

Push in/down on your tool of choice and you should hear the lock mechanically release.

Replace the plastic cover to the Lift Panel and you're finished. Might take a couple of tries. Once you're successful, you can do it repeatedly without effort.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:06 PM
jx3

How's that Monkey song go. Oh yeah......

I'M A BELIEVER

Only took me 5 minutes to read this and practice. It works!!!
Maybe the problem before was that the gate was unlocked.
Thanks Snoopy!!
Old 06-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

Man...THANK YOU...

I was hoping, PARTICULARLY YOU, would come back and say it works.

I actually did ONE cartwheel ....my wife thinks I'm nuts.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:14 PM
jx3

Even went out in the rain to try it out!

Bet the neighbors thought I was trying to steal my own car when the alarm went off.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member

Are you trying for another cartwheel???

One a day is my limit..at my age !!!
Old 06-07-2007, 08:24 AM

A simple rod and plastic handle locked thru the hole in the release mechanisim would make the release a lot easier to do. Made my own so I wouldn't have to fish for the proper place to stab with the screw driver. Now it is mounted in the tailgate so if I ever need it, it is there.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:38 PM

Question I'm Sooooo Confused!!

Snoopy.........I'm brand new to this forum and this will be my first post. I read, with great eagerness, you post about the rear hatch manual release. My 06 has what appears to be a faulty release accuator, but I'd like to get it open to make sure something hasn't jammed the mechanism. I can hear the realy pick up when the pad is depressed so I'm not convinced it's electrical.

Problem is, I'm not able to find the X spot for the manual release. Can you send additional photos or steer me in a direction where I could get further help?

Thanks,

Linkster13
Old 01-03-2008, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by tcstoy
A simple rod and plastic handle locked thru the hole in the release mechanisim would make the release a lot easier to do. Made my own so I wouldn't have to fish for the proper place to stab with the screw driver. Now it is mounted in the tailgate so if I ever need it, it is there.

Sounds like a great safety idea. How bout a photo?
Old 01-03-2008, 07:42 AM

Will try and get a photo............. the opening is rather small and lighting might be a problem. If I can't get a good photo, when the weather warms up a bit I will take the trim back off and get a shot of it.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:01 PM

Hmmm,
Has anyone come up with a way to add a second switch somewhere to open up the latch?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to: Manual Liftgate Release