"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

How to repair flex pipe

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the pics and advice for this repair
Old 09-19-2012, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by db/sb
Perhaps you need to find a different dealer as well as different people for automotive advice. The converter is part of the emissions contol system and is covered by the above mentioned warranty. They replaced ours at 60300 miles, no charge.

Only Chevy dealer in my area.

They refused to repair free on warranty because their techs could not determine the noises they heard were from the flex pipe. I got confirmation that it was the flex pipe and before I had the private shop do the work I took it back to the dealership with a work order from the private shop telling them on paper it was the flex pipe. They still refused to do the work.

So. Facts and truth are GM WILL NOT, I'll add, in some cases including mine, make this repair under warranty.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Thanks for the pics and advice for this repair
no problem!

The dealer issues can vary from place to place...our family bought something like 8 cars from joe basil chevy(near buffalo NY), and had a family member working there...still bad and shady service
Old 09-19-2012, 07:57 PM

I see where the difference is. db/ss, your car had a broken flange on the cat, this is flex pipe. Cat is emissions control, and thus covered. Beyond the cat is not covered by that same warranty.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:20 PM

Had mine fixed today

Thank you for the pics and info found the new flex pipe on ebay ordered it monday night had it installed at Car-x today for $155
Old 06-07-2013, 08:14 PM

Bowtie

Thank you. I saved this on my computer for when I need it.

Great instructions.

Originally Posted by badassbowtie
This is my first how to with only a few pictures(via google and my ebay purchase) so please bare with me!

First of all you will need to have welding equipment or know someone that will do some welding work for you. in my case a buddy of mine welds so we did it in his driveway. the bad part is i didn't take any pics which i'm kinda mad about!

1st step is to buy a new flex pipe. i found one on ebay for $37. the one i purchased lined right up on the down pipe and was just a hair bigger than the stock exhaust pipe to make it an easy weld.
[IMG][/IMG]

2. if you have a lift it'll be much easier to get it done but i put the front of the car on two jackstands. PULL E-BRAKE!!!!

3. unbolt 3 bolts on down pipe(15mm)

4. unbolt O2 sensor (easy to find, after catalytic converter)i had a special socket for the O2 sensor. it is pretty fragile

5. remove 2 bolts from resonator(i believe)
this is where is ran into a problem. one bolt was too rusted to even move. so we grinded it off and used a new nut and bolt

6. now the section of exhaust should come right out. should be about 3 feet long (just to give you an idea)

7. we cut the old flex portion off. cut it right near the old weld, which was near the blue line on pic below

8. pipe "A" above will fit right inside of new flex fitting

9. slide it together and put back under the car and hand tighten all of the bolt as you will be removing it all again.

10. tack weld the new flex pipe so it will hold exactly where you need it.

11. remove the section of exhaust again

12. completely weld the new section all the way around

13. i sprayed the whole welded area with galvinizing paint(may not be needed)

14. reconnect the section and completely tighten bolts

15. reconnect O2 sensor

16. all finished!!!!!! took us (3 people) about 2 hours

hopefully this will help everybody out!
Old 06-08-2013, 02:50 PM
Technical Moderator

I don' remember if it was addressed earlier in the thread, but.... On most HHRs (not all) the upper HO2 sensor bung lives right about were the blue A is in the pic. So you will also need to do some cutting and fitting around the bung.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:58 PM
Premium Member

exhaust flex pipe

Having just had the problem and of course with 84K miles no point in talking to the dealer I researched it here!. Bought the flex pipe part from Rock Auto in Mn. for $45 including postage, called a few muffler shops and found Family Discount Mufflers in Bradenton, FL willing and helpful to do the job for $120.00. Done in 2 1/2 hours and very happy with the work.

Anybody in SW FL needing the job done, I would recommend them.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:08 PM

You are welcome to the people who have thanked me.....I am very surprised at how much these shops are charging...with a lift, this is seriously 1 1/2 hour job. Then again at shop labor hours who knows....anybody near me, I would hook them up for a lot less considering I am a welder now
Old 03-21-2014, 10:21 PM

question

does changing the pipe from the rubber accordian type to the metal type like that work?

Quick Reply: How to repair flex pipe